Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 15-10-2023

The trouble public organisations especially have is even once they've made every possible saving they can the money from those savings is basically taken off them and they're told to save more.

RE: Newsnight - Humphrey Hacker - 16-10-2023

Clean Feed have published this article about a potential future for Newsnight specifically moving to BBC1 as a midweek show:

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19326/opinion/newsnight-a-move-to-bbc-one-is-worth-considering/ 

I personally think this is a bad idea because 90 minutes of news and current affairs on BBC 1 at 10 PM would cause a lot of viewers to turn off.

RE: Newsnight - Jon - 16-10-2023

Well it’s not like viewers would have to watch both programmes just like it isn’t now and some would happily just as they do now.

RE: Newsnight - m_in_m - 16-10-2023

Would this save it from cuts? Does BBC1 commission anything in that slot aside from Question Time now?

RE: Newsnight - DTV - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 07:44 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  I personally think this is a bad idea because 90 minutes of news and current affairs on BBC 1 at 10 PM would cause a lot of viewers to turn off.
Agreed, it'd make more sense to just integrate it into the Ten and have a single harder newshour, as per some European broadcasters.

I think I suggested it before, but with the proposals around an hour-long One, it would make sense to just have three newshours, each marketed with a different focus - e.g., live and developing stories at One; the day's national, regional and international news at Six; a deeper look at the top stories (with a lean to international and political news) at Ten. There might be a few issues, but better than a part-time Newsnight, an exclusively talk-based Newsnight or even no Newsnight. Could even bring Victoria Derbyshire across and have her alternate with Clive Myrie.

RE: Newsnight - Keith - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 07:59 PM)DTV Wrote:  Agreed, it'd make more sense to just integrate it into the Ten and have a single harder newshour, as per some European broadcasters.

I think I suggested it before, but with the proposals around an hour-long One, it would make sense to just have three newshours, each marketed with a different focus - e.g., live and developing stories at One; the day's national, regional and international news at Six; a deeper look at the top stories (with a lean to international and political news) at Ten. There might be a few issues, but better than a part-time Newsnight, an exclusively talk-based Newsnight or even no Newsnight. Could even bring Victoria Derbyshire across and have her alternate with Clive Myrie.
Not sure if for the One or Ten being an hour, but previously I've suggested along the lines of...
:00 to :30 - National News.
:30 to :45 - Nations & English regions opt-out, with sports update for News Channel.
:45 to :59 - National news / in-depth reports.

For Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland they could even opt for...
:30 to :59 - Extended nation bulletins.

The latter would be a potential political sweetener, should the BBC ever wish to axe the BBC Scotland channel to save money and minimise the backlash. (Obviously reinstating BBC Two Scotland.)

I suspect any hour long Ten service would most likely be Mon to Thurs. Friday nights seem to still remain popular with chat shows.

RE: Newsnight - XIII - 16-10-2023

Newsnight would die a death on BBC One and I suspect they don't really want it either.

RE: Newsnight - JMT1985 - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 08:54 PM)Keith Wrote:  Not sure if for the One or Ten being an hour, but previously I've suggested along the lines of...
:00 to :30 - National News.
:30 to :45 - Nations & English regions opt-out, with sports update for News Channel.
:45 to :59 - National news / in-depth reports.

For Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland they could even opt for...
:30 to :59 - Extended nation bulletins.

The latter would be a potential political sweetener, should the BBC ever wish to axe the BBC Scotland channel to save money and minimise the backlash. (Obviously reinstating BBC Two Scotland.)

I suspect any hour long Ten service would most likely be Mon to Thurs. Friday nights seem to still remain popular with chat shows.

Well the only chat show on Friday night after the news is Graham Norton and now he has reduced his workload to late September until early March, they are left with six months of fairly bland movies and repeats after the news on a Friday - so moving Graham to 11pm would be interesting.

RE: Newsnight - Stuart - 17-10-2023

Newsnight showed a pre-recorded interview from Studio L last night because I guess 54D was still in use at the time. They remembered to take their stretch covers (made by someone's Nan), but didn't even attempt to fit them properly.

It looked dreadful. Dodgy

RE: Newsnight - Humphrey Hacker - 17-10-2023

From my perspective Newsnight's USP is that it allows viewers a more analytical perspective on the news as opposed to the constriction of a network bulletin.

Switch it to BBC 1 as either a follow-on or as part of a 21st century Sixty Minutes would rob it of that USP.