Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Newsnight - Matrix - 17-10-2023

(17-10-2023, 11:12 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  From my perspective Newsnight's USP is that it allows viewers a more analytical perspective on the news as opposed to the constriction of a network bulletin.

Switch it to BBC 1 as either a follow-on or as part of a 21st century Sixty Minutes would rob it of that USP.

Agreed. I also think the issue at hand is less the scheduling and 'place' of Newsnight but rather what sort of content you want for it. Let me unpack that. The discussions around losing an investigative team is, essentially, around redundancies - pay costs are one of the larger elements of their budget and to snip roles would return a saving. It does - as others have outlined - pose then a challenge: what do you want the programme to do? Without investigative teams, you're essentially left with Politics Live in the evening and with a slightly larger, roving brief. 

Being shunted around the schedule hasn't helped Newsnight cement its place. For my two pence, I'd look to the Covid model if they were thinking of some cost savings. Yes, it would mean hoffing regional news back out to their alternative studio but a shared space for the 10 and Newsnight (complete with a proper handover) whilst maintaining both programmes as distinct and separate might not be the worst idea with then the capacity to start thinking through some joint, shared resource reporting and follow on discussion points.

RE: Newsnight - all new phil - 17-10-2023

In what way has Newsnight been shunted around the schedule?

Could another provider in theory produce it? Ie could they have Sky or ITN make it using their own correspondents? Would be an interesting way of diversifying the BBC offering.

RE: Newsnight - Humphrey Hacker - 17-10-2023

(17-10-2023, 11:51 AM)Matrix Wrote:  Agreed. I also think the issue at hand is less the scheduling and 'place' of Newsnight but rather what sort of content you want for it. Let me unpack that. The discussions around losing an investigative team is, essentially, around redundancies - pay costs are one of the larger elements of their budget and to snip roles would return a saving. It does - as others have outlined - pose then a challenge: what do you want the programme to do? Without investigative teams, you're essentially left with Politics Live in the evening and with a slightly larger, roving brief. 

Being shunted around the schedule hasn't helped Newsnight cement its place. For my two pence, I'd look to the Covid model if they were thinking of some cost savings. Yes, it would mean hoffing regional news back out to their alternative studio but a shared space for the 10 and Newsnight (complete with a proper handover) whilst maintaining both programmes as distinct and separate might not be the worst idea with then the capacity to start thinking through some joint, shared resource reporting and follow on discussion points.

You make a valid point about pooling resources. Such a setup though would have to be carefully handled to ensure the separation of identity. Maybe the weather forecast could be used as a "cordon sanitare"

RE: Newsnight - Independent - 18-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 07:59 PM)DTV Wrote:  Agreed, it'd make more sense to just integrate it into the Ten and have a single harder newshour, as per some European broadcasters.
(16-10-2023, 08:54 PM)Keith Wrote:  Not sure if for the One or Ten being an hour, but previously I've suggested along the lines of...
:00 to :30 - National News.
:30 to :45 - Nations & English regions opt-out, with sports update for News Channel.
:45 to :59 - National news / in-depth reports.
It kind of reminds me of how the CBC's The National works. The first half or so is the day's news and then an in-depth feature, exclusive of some sort or panel  Rolleyes (every Thursday) in the last portion then followed by local news (at 11pm). But the CBC is dependent on ads but the BBC in the UK is not so all that could fit into an hour. I suppose the BBC should/must not opt to do a panel.
I think I've read somewhere DR in Denmark their 21:00 bulletin is followed by an in-depth feature with a specific topic for each weekday like Mondays? it's an in-depth feature on an international story/issue, Thursdays? is for in-depth coverage of a business topic.

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 18-10-2023

I think you'd basically have the Ten for the first half hour, a special report at 10.30pm followed by interview or discussion then regional news to round up the hour (sport on the news channel).

Obviously that then leaves 40 minutes a night to fill on BBC2, likely with repeats mainly - and scheduling questions over Graham Norton and Question Time in particular. I think you could get away with both at 11pm but perhaps Graham Norton could fill the 9pm hour on Fridays instead (which brings in a primetime cost saving) or in the pre-news slot on Saturdays.

RE: Newsnight - XIII - 19-10-2023

(18-10-2023, 10:48 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think you'd basically have the Ten for the first half hour, a special report at 10.30pm followed by interview or discussion then regional news to round up the hour (sport on the news channel).

Obviously that then leaves 40 minutes a night to fill on BBC2, likely with repeats mainly - and scheduling questions over Graham Norton and Question Time in particular.  I think you could get away with both at 11pm but perhaps Graham Norton could fill the 9pm hour on Fridays instead (which brings in a primetime cost saving) or in the pre-news slot on Saturdays.

Graham Norton was tried at 9pm during the pandemic, didn't work.

RE: Newsnight - NickyBoy - 19-10-2023

(19-10-2023, 01:30 PM)XIII Wrote:  Graham Norton was tried at 9pm during the pandemic, didn't work.
To be fair though, it was the awful mini run of shows that he presented from home, so it wasn't the normal format.

RE: Newsnight - JMT1985 - 19-10-2023

(19-10-2023, 03:30 PM)NickyBoy Wrote:  To be fair though, it was the awful mini run of shows that he presented from home, so it wasn't the normal format.
Also, from what I've been hearing from people who work at ITV Studios who own So Television, Graham is not planning to stay around too long at the BBC - he has reduced the amount of shows he does in a series and there are murmurs that he is planning to quit sometime fairly soon - only murmurs, not even rumours, but apparently he has been hinting at it - so we could see Graham depart and a new Friday night host, possibly Jack Whitehall take over the BBC One Friday talk show slot in the next year or two.

RE: Newsnight - Omnipresent - 19-10-2023

Kirsty Wark is leaving Newsnight after the next election, if it’s still on air then:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/kirsty-wark-to-step-down-newsnight/ 

Quote:Kirsty Wark will step down as a lead presenter at Newsnight, the BBC's flagship nightly current affairs show, after the next election. She has presented the programme for exactly 30 years today.

Kirsty will continue to present for the BBC on programmes including The Reunion, Start the Week on Radio 4, as well as documentaries.

Kirsty Wark says: "Today I am celebrating 30 years presenting Newsnight. It is an enormous privilege to be involved in such a rigorous, creative programme with a wonderful, talented, bunch of colleagues – actually many bunches over the years, led, most recently by Esme Wren followed by Stewart Maclean.

"There’s not a day when I don’t look forward to coming to the office, and every day I learn something from the team about all manner of things, from aspects of American foreign policy to how to make a great mojito.

"Last year I spoke to both to the Director General Tim Davie and to Stewart and signalled my desire to end my three decade run on the show after the next election, and that’s the plan.

"When the time comes it will be a massive wrench. However, I’ll be leaving Newsnight but not the BBC. I’ll still be presenting The Reunion and Start the Week on Radio 4, TV documentaries too as well as finishing, finally, my third novel. There are exciting times ahead."

RE: Newsnight - thePineapple - 19-10-2023

I suppose you could read something into the fact that that press release barely mentions Newsnight itself, beyond that it's a "flagship current affairs show". 

No "Newsnight will continue to provide vital context in a landscape where it's needed more than ever" etc. like you might expect.

Maybe they just wanted to keep it about Kirsty Walk - who will be missed - or maybe it shows management are a bit iffy about its future (or have cuts to announce soon).