Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Newsnight - Mattyl - 31-07-2023

I’m sure Gavin presented Breakfast Time (v2, the desk based version) as a relief presenter in the 1980s.

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 31-07-2023

There has long been a tradition on Newsnight to basically let anyone have a go in the summer.

RE: Newsnight - DTV - 31-07-2023

(31-07-2023, 09:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  There has long been a tradition on Newsnight to basically let anyone have a go in the summer.
Yes, though it seems to alternate between periods of other members of the Newsnight team, other BBC presenters and freelancers. The year before the Edwards/Esler/Pillai summer, Jeremy Vine had been a sit in - before later going on to become a regular presenter some years later. Emily Maitlis, similarly, mainly appeared in the summer for the first few years of her Newsnight career. 

During the 2000s, Martha Kearney - then Newnight political editor - was a frequent summer presenter. Jon Sopel and later Eddie Mair also used to pop up occasionally in the summer in that era. Then during the middle of the last decade, they went through a few summers of bringing in LBC loudmouths - primarily O'Brien, but it's largely now back to Newsnight team members like Urban and Islam as cover. I also seem to recall Naga doing Breakfast and Newsnight on the same day once, but I'm not sure if that was a summer thing.

RE: Newsnight - lookoutwales - 31-07-2023

(31-07-2023, 07:31 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Was this Gavin’s first presenting gig? They must have put a lot of trust in him if Newsnight was the first thing he ever presented.

Gavin was involved much earlier with Newsnight - by and large as a reporter during the 80s (he joined from BBC NI, where he had worked on Spotlight) but AFAIK, he did pop up as a presenter from time to time.

He also had a stint co-presenting London Plus c.1985-6.

RE: Newsnight - oscillon - 02-08-2023

After a speedily revamped program, Newsnight had its titles overlap in the end

[Image: BBC-NN-overlap.png]

RE: Newsnight - LDN - 02-08-2023

Newsnight goes green: 

[Image: bbc-newsnight-green.png]

Just a one-off, of course -- but I think it looks surprisingly nice.

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 02-08-2023

Matter of taste I guess. And might be worth them relocating to Salford, Glasgow or Cardiff just to get a decent studio.

RE: Newsnight - m_in_m - 02-08-2023

Presumably Newsnight can now use the Breakfast/Sport studio when visiting Salford now?

RE: Newsnight - Stuart - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 06:22 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Presumably Newsnight can now use the Breakfast/Sport studio when visiting Salford now?
Does the global feed not get a Sports bulletin at 10:30, or are they left to be confused by the simulcast of our domestic Newsnight?

If they get Newsnight, then I suppose the studio is free at that time.

(02-08-2023, 05:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Matter of taste I guess.  And might be worth them relocating to Salford, Glasgow or Cardiff just to get a decent studio.
I actually rather like 54D (when it's not lit up in yellow and green). They just need to get one of the new sofas in there with the interchageble cushions. I also rather like that night time view from the 5th floor window.

RE: Newsnight - excel99 - 02-08-2023

Global feed has Hardtalk at 2230UK (then when the UK has Hardtalk an hour later, global feed has Asia Business Report and Sport)