Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 06:32 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Does the global feed not get a Sports bulletin at 10:30, or are they left to be confused by the simulcast of our domestic Newsnight?

If they get Newsnight, then I suppose the studio is free at that time.

I actually rather like 54D (when it's not lit up in yellow and green). They just need to get one of the new sofas in there with the interchageble cushions. I also rather like that night time view from the 5th floor window.

I think that end of the studio is OK but the desk area feels very cheap.

RE: Newsnight - Spencer - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 07:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think that end of the studio is OK but the desk area feels very cheap.
The low ceiling height of the studio also makes it look rather cramped. I think it actually looks even worse than the old Breakfast studio in that respect. It might be because it has more depth than the one in Salford that it makes it more obvious.

RE: Newsnight - Stuart - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 07:44 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The low ceiling height of the studio also makes it look rather cramped. I think it actually looks even worse than the old Breakfast studio in that respect. It might be because it has more depth than the one in Salford that it makes it more obvious.
I don't think the low ceiling in 54D is that obvious or important if you've got very subdued lighting, as befits a late evening programme.  That yellow/green one-off ensemble the other day was so bright it gave me an afterimage as I was falling asleep. Tongue

I think they've recently increased the lighting levels, but I did always like the very 'dark ambience' in the old B during the Ian Katz era, it was almost satanic.  Big Grin

RE: Newsnight - DTV - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 08:15 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I don't think the low ceiling in 54D is that obvious or important if you've got very subdued lighting, as befits a late evening programme.  That yellow/green one-off ensemble the other day was so bright it gave me an afterimage as I was falling asleep. Tongue

I think they've recently increased the lighting levels, but I did always like the very 'dark ambience' in the old B during the Ian Katz era, it was almost satanic.  Big Grin
Newsnight have generally always been reasonably good when it comes to lighting - hence why it was one of the better looking programmes from the TC7 Barco set (which only really worked with programmes that used some combination of creative lighting or extra furniture). They were also the only programme to try 'gradients' in the lightboxes in Studio B or C and for it to actually work.

Too often these days I think producers forget that lighting ought to be an intrinsic part of set design and that you can and should do a lot more with it than just illuminating the talent.

RE: Newsnight - denton - 03-08-2023

(31-07-2023, 10:00 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, though it seems to alternate between periods of other members of the Newsnight team, other BBC presenters and freelancers. The year before the Edwards/Esler/Pillai summer, Jeremy Vine had been a sit in - before later going on to become a regular presenter some years later. Emily Maitlis, similarly, mainly appeared in the summer for the first few years of her Newsnight career. 

During the 2000s, Martha Kearney - then Newnight political editor - was a frequent summer presenter. Jon Sopel and later Eddie Mair also used to pop up occasionally in the summer in that era. Then during the middle of the last decade, they went through a few summers of bringing in LBC loudmouths - primarily O'Brien, but it's largely now back to Newsnight team members like Urban and Islam as cover. I also seem to recall Naga doing Breakfast and Newsnight on the same day once, but I'm not sure if that was a summer thing.
I seem to remember Andrew Neil having a go at it too. From memory it was rather a car crash.

RE: Newsnight - Stuart - 04-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 12:13 AM)denton Wrote:  I seem to remember Andrew Neil having a go at it too. From memory it was rather a car crash.
Andrew Neil is better with long form interviews where he's had chance to do plenty of research, which he then uses to deliciously frustrate his victim. With Newsnight you're potentially responding to quite recent ot developing events, which perhaps isn't his bag.

He did Daily Politics for many years, but he probably had a filing cabinet full of facts on any politician he was likely to come across.

RE: Newsnight - W. Knight - 05-08-2023

Some Good News: BBC edition?
https://twitter.com/stewartmaclean/status/1687203259478687744 
Hope the graphic here is just for illustrative purposes only - it's too garish and you can barely make out the 'NIGHT' part in both the symbol and the wordmark!

RE: Newsnight - DavidWhitfield - 05-08-2023

(Overly?) jazzy colouring notwithstanding, I think that's a great idea; so much of the news is doom and gloom and it's nice to be reminded every once in a while that there are still some good people out there and some positive stories among the woe and misery. I fully support them shining a light on "stories of progress, advancement, and hope"; I feel we could all do with more of that for the good of our mental states.

RE: Newsnight - Nobby - 06-08-2023

They should just be reporting the news, not telling us if it is good or bad. This isn't what the BBC should be doing.

In reality it will probably just be human interest, press releases from companies with something to promote and funny animals. This isn't what Newsnight should be doing.

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 06-08-2023

Impartiality isn't arguing a cure for cancer would be a bad thing.