Pres Café
The LBC Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The LBC Thread (/showthread.php?tid=113)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The LBC Thread - sigma421 - 01-05-2024

Her disappearance from air came shortly after a rather confrontational interview with an Israeli government spokesperson and the belief among some on Twitter was that the two were linked.

RE: The LBC Thread - Radio_man - 01-05-2024

The first thing I had to check when seeing that press release of a "refreshed weekend schedule" was to check that Nick Abbot was still in place on Friday & Saturday nights.......
Nick is the only appointment to listen show for me on LBC, the last light-hearted, non-serious show that's left on the station. My god, serious news is depressing enough these days, a bit of light relief with Nick is much needed on Friday & Saturday nights.

RE: The LBC Thread - leewilliams - 01-05-2024

(01-05-2024, 11:28 AM)sigma421 Wrote:  Her disappearance from air came shortly after a rather confrontational interview with an Israeli government spokesperson and the belief among some on Twitter was that the two were linked.
Which is a load of old tosh - if that was truly the reason LBC wouldn’t have left the video of said interview on its social media feeds (you can still watch it there now).

You can debate whether LBC’s policy of telling presenters they’ve done their last show after the event is the right one - for instance, Andrew Castle vanished from weekend breakfast a while back after a similarly confrontational interview on Gaza (this time vehemently defending Israel) - but I didn’t see any outrage about his departure.

The fact is, presenters don’t have their contracts renewed for a variety of reasons (audience figures not good enough, management want a clean slate and a different sound to the programming). Not everything is a conspiracy, or about the race of the host, or their political leanings - and the confected outrage about Sangita leaving the station (comprising hashtags, a petition and even poems) is a fine example of the brain worms that have invaded previously sensible people’s heads in recent times.

RE: The LBC Thread - Stooky Bill - 01-05-2024

(01-05-2024, 05:41 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  You can debate whether LBC’s policy of telling presenters they’ve done their last show after the event is the right one.
It's often the right thing to do if it's not the presenters choice to leave.

Some of us will remember when Danny Baker was told his afternoon show on BBC London was ending half an hour before his show. It made for an amazing 2 hours of radio.... but the management wouldn't have thought the same

RE: The LBC Thread - lookoutwales - 01-05-2024

Didn't want to elaborate myself considering the speculation that had been and gone (worth noting the BBC's article put Myska's departure ahead of Feltz joining)

Before today's announcement, Jake Kanter at Deadline went as far to suggest it was purely down to schedule changes - sources quoting that her RAJAR listening hours were down (despite adding listening hours last quarter)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/sangita-myska-lbc-global-future-1235899354/ 

RE: The LBC Thread - Isonstine - 01-05-2024

(01-05-2024, 12:26 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  The first thing I had to check when seeing that press release of a "refreshed weekend schedule" was to check that Nick Abbot was still in place on Friday & Saturday nights.......
Nick is the only appointment to listen show for me on LBC, the last light-hearted, non-serious show that's left on the station. My god, serious news is depressing enough these days, a bit of light relief with Nick is much needed on Friday & Saturday nights.

Same! I get that news talk provides solid, credible content and Global have certainly increased LBC's standing in recent years by doubling down on the format. But I do miss the more light hearted nature of the station's past. Nick Ferrari's breakfast show has always been news focussed but it felt like he injected more of his humour into the show but now it feels like painting by numbers. Perhaps, that's just a symptom of the fact he's been there and doing the same thing for a long time now but you do hear little glimmers of it at times. Most other shows are similarly devoid of personality though, as good as the content and presentation are.

The David Lloyd days of Anna Raeburn and Gary King's Big Quiz seem like a distant memory now, but then it's understandable considering it was over 15 years ago! I may be getting older but it genuinely feels like yesterday that James O'Brien and Iain Lee had an on-air running race. Definitely a different station now.

I'm always holding out hope that Global's strategy of launching spin-off stations might encourage them to try a talk format which isn't news focussed and isn't afraid to have a bit of fun. But since the revival of Talk Radio tried it and then fairly quickly moved to right leaning news talk, there's clearly no appetite for it.

RE: The LBC Thread - Stooky Bill - 01-05-2024

Yes non news based speech radio is something that's never lasted long outside of the BBC. The original Talk Radio UK was billed as 'talk based entertainment' and very little of its launch line up was a newstalk format.

I was an LBC listener in the last few years of its original license, then there was a lot of hours of phone in dedicated to calling into experts or guests, especially on MW. The Chrysalis era LBC had a lunchtime show with Sandi Toksvig for a while.

Thing is that phone in is cheap. The only place in the commercial sector doing speech but not phone in is Times Radio, I don't know how much that's making.

The sad thing is that there's little room on radio for presenters that are great at doing free-form entertainment radio like Iain Lee and Danny Baker. A lot of the late night phone in shows around the country have gone too.

I don't think a non news based speech radio station will ever be a thing now because podcasts have that all sewn up. Global have several podcasts which do just that - Nick Abbot and Carol Mcgiffen have reunited their old LBC partnership for example. They've got podcasts from people like Richard Hammond, Frankie Boyle and Jonathan Ross, that's where the ideas and creativity is going

RE: The LBC Thread - London Lite - 01-05-2024

LBC also had their non-news period (with the exception of Breakfast with Nick Ferrari) when Chrysalis hired David Lloyd to run the station.

However when Global took over LBC, they went to newstalk and haven't looked back.

RE: The LBC Thread - GlasgowCruiser - 01-05-2024

I find the departure of Sangita Myska to be a bit of a storm in a teacup really. If they wanted Vanessa Feltz over her and were able to get her, of course they were going to do that. Feltz is a far bigger name, Myska was arguably lucky to get the gig being much more low-profile on The BBC than others they've poached. And let's not forget that presenters have been let go unceremoniously for years on LBC - Farage, Maajid, Steve Allen, Andrew Castle, possibly a few others as well. I think Myska's fans have lost sight of both that and the fact that LBC is privately owned, so they really have no obligation to keep a presenter if they don't want to - they're not publicly funded like The BBC.

RE: The LBC Thread - lookoutwales - 01-05-2024

(01-05-2024, 07:06 PM)London Lite Wrote:  LBC also had their non-news period (with the exception of Breakfast with Nick Ferrari) when Chrysalis hired David Lloyd to run the station.

It was fairly telling when Lloyd ran the ex-Orion stations that they had a fairly non-topical phone-in called The Sanctuary with Caroline Martin - usually given over to personal problems but it did vary in theme from time to time.

It did survive the Free Radio rebrand but not for long - though it has been revived by WCR in Wolverhampton (who coincidentally have also picked up Richard Latto's syndicated version of Stereo Underground)