Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - AaronLancs - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 04:44 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Lincoln used to be on Bailgate but moved to the Spark house facility at the university in 2006 and may still be there, the website lists ITV as a tenant.

Hull was in the shopping centre, Sheffield was next to the big roundabout in the city centre. York was on that road that cuts through the pedestrianised bit. Surely Bradford is too close to Leeds to need one? The BBC only had one because of the museum 'living exhibit'.

I remember when the BBC Bradford one opened because when I went to the National Media Museum - as I seem to recall it being called at the time - I used to be amazed at being able to legally look upon a proper BBC operation in full flow and watch BBC Radio Leeds various broadcasts if my visit was timed perfectly. Plus I got a chance to 'present' the news from that little news studio exhibit they had.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Spencer - 11-02-2023

(11-02-2023, 04:44 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Lincoln used to be on Bailgate but moved to the Spark house facility at the university in 2006 and may still be there, the website lists ITV as a tenant.

Hull was in the shopping centre, Sheffield was next to the big roundabout in the city centre. York was on that road that cuts through the pedestrianised bit. Surely Bradford is too close to Leeds to need one? The BBC only had one because of the museum 'living exhibit'.
There was another BBC Bradford office before the one at the Media Museum. It was based in City Hall, and had a Radio Leeds studio in it.

In the mid/late 90s, the breakfast show was co-hosted with one presenter in Bradford and the other in Leeds. It was also used for some of the station’s Asian programming, and later for some Asian Network programmes.

There were other smaller district offices in Wakefield, Halifax and Huddersfield IIRC, as was typical in BBC LR at the time. These tended to be small affairs, usually in council buildings with not much more than a desk and a small contribution studio. They allowed the designated district reporters to file stories back quicker in theory. Although Wakefield only being a 20 minute drive from Leeds always seemed a bit pointless.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 11-02-2023

I think Halifax was at Dean Clough, Huddersfield was a grotty room in the basement of the Town Hall, by all accounts.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 12-02-2023

From https://www.bbceng.info/additions/2017/Engineering%20Progress%20And%20Achievements%20-%201992.pdf 

Quote:To improve the BBC's profile in Bradford, a city of half a million people, a bi-media bureau has been created in prestigious accommodation in City Hall. As well as office accommodation, equipped with on-line ENS terminals and PABX connection to Leeds all via a Kilostream link, the bureau has a radio studio capable of supporting sequence programmes and a fully equipped preparation area. The bureau is the base for a small team of Radio Leeds staff, the community affairs correspondent, and ethnic programming.

A bi-media bureau without any apparent TV facilities...

I'm not sure that it's a coincidence that the current Managing Editor is Sanjiv Buttoo, who used to be the community affairs correspondent and presenter of some of the ethnic programming that came out of the Bradford studio. Not long after his appointment Radio Leeds opened a new Bradford office, which I assume has now gone again.

Back to Calendar, and there's chapter and verse from the horse's mouth in a 2007 TVF thread

Quote:The Sheffield office therefore supplies stories for both programmes. Calendar also has newsrooms/offices in Bradford, Grimsby, Hull, Lincoln and York and a team of staff also work from home in various parts of the region.

The East Riding is covered by the ‘South’ programme.

Kind regards

Will Venters

Head of News (ITV Yorkshire)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - newsjunkie - 12-02-2023

In the past ITV Regions/Nations had 2 class of regional office (not officially though). Those with multiple numbers of people working there with cameras, reporters, other journalists and sometimes sales teams based there. And those that are simply a feed point with a desk and an internet connection.

When I worked at ITV Meridian almost 20 years ago now, they had the following:

Whiteley - major base with studios

Abingdon, Brighton & Maidstone - multiple reporters, cameras and production staff.

Salisbury, Bournemouth, Swindon, Reading (and probably one I have forgotten) - Feed points with a small desk area and room for a down the line (though normally not with a fixed camera).

These smaller offices were incredibly helpful in the pre high speed mobile internet era meaning you could feed material back to the main offices without a satellite truck. The advent of liveu/internet feeds have made these pretty much redundant. Instead of having fixed offices, ITV regions/nations have invested heavily in liveu kits and that is why you see a lot more lives than you would have ever seen in the past - even when budgets were significantly bigger.

Personally I think its a shame you don't have that buzz as you're sat in traffic trying to get off the M4 into the Madejski stadium so you can feed an interview via Abingdon and down to Whiteley for the 6pm show. My heart would probably think a bit differently. Internet feeding has revolutionised news in a way not seen since the advent of ENG cameras (before my time thankfully).

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 12-02-2023

I think the Verv vehicles at the BBC were described as being a "Mobile District Office" in the marketing blurb.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Dadeki - 12-02-2023

The YTV Hull office was in the Prospect Centre. The signage, which by the end was a mishmash of the old YTV chevron along with the corporate news look of 2004, was still there in July 2008 long after they moved out, as seen on Google Maps. By September the following year it had all been taken down. 

[Image: image.png]

Similarly, BBC Radio Humberside once had a small contribution studio in the former Old Chapel building in Beverley (which was owned by the local authority, but is now East Riding Theatre). I remember stumbling upon it in 2010, but by then it had long been decommissioned, having been repurposed as a store for old papers.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - radio listener - 24-02-2023

Is Hull getting a studio B type set up? Wouldn't this be a waste of this is the case as weather is piped in from Leeds and they wouldn't need those screens?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Spencer - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 11:56 AM)radio listener Wrote:  Is Hull getting a studio B type set up?  Wouldn't this be a waste of this is the case as weather is piped in from Leeds and they wouldn't need those screens?
From what we’ve heard, all regions are getting the same sets, as seen in Nottingham and Birmingham.

The screens will be used for a lot more than just the weather - things like explainer pieces from reporters and supporting graphics for big stories behind the presenter are commonplace in regions already with screen based sets.

harshy - harshy - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:40 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 11:56 AM)radio listener Wrote:  Is Hull getting a studio B type set up?  Wouldn't this be a waste of this is the case as weather is piped in from Leeds and they wouldn't need those screens?
From what we’ve heard, all regions are getting the same sets, as seen in Nottingham and Birmingham.

The screens will be used for a lot more than just the weather - things like explainer pieces from reporters and supporting graphics for big stories behind the presenter are commonplace in regions already with screen based sets.
Leeds definitely needs a new set it’s worn out, it must be coming up to well over 10 years.