Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: harshy - Spencer - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 02:44 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 12:40 PM)Spencer Wrote:  From what we’ve heard, all regions are getting the same sets, as seen in Nottingham and Birmingham.

The screens will be used for a lot more than just the weather - things like explainer pieces from reporters and supporting graphics for big stories behind the presenter are commonplace in regions already with screen based sets.
Leeds definitely needs a new set it’s worn out, it must be coming up to well over 10 years.

I know it feels longer, but it's just under 5 years since the current Leeds set launched.

https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/yorkshire-lincolnshire-11414/page-691 

It's one of the newer existing regional sets, and also is probably the most similar in appearance to the new design, having big screens all the way around. My guess is Leeds is going to be at, or near, the very back of the queue for a new set.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 24-02-2023

It just looks old because it has the same tired fake newsroom background as the set it replaced, complete with swirls. It looks much better when they do something creative with those screens.

As you say, they could adopt 80% of the new look just by updating the graphics on those screens and swapping the coffee table, but I guess regions have been told to wait for the official roll out?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - London Lite - 24-02-2023

It's the Vaseline smeared cameras that need replacing. There's always at least one camera that needs repairing.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - harshy - 01-03-2023

They seem to be setting the opt too early sometimes Is as early as 10 minutes so that portion of the HD programme becomes upscaled SD.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Spencer - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 10:24 AM)harshy Wrote:  They seem to be setting the opt too early sometimes Is as early as 10 minutes so that portion of the HD programme becomes upscaled SD.

I think they’re just opting at the same time as they always have. It was always a few minutes beforehand when you’d see the white dots appear at the top left. Although now, yes, it’s quite annoying that means  you get several minutes of SD before each opt. But I’ll take that over having to switch between 115 and 101 to avoid the RSOD.

You’d hope that Leeds would be near the top of the list for a technical upgrade to HD, given how awful the picture looks, and how the current kit is rumoured to be on its last legs, so hopefully it might not be too long before we no longer have to put up with Vaseline-o-Vision.

Incidentally, on the subject of the white ‘confidence check’ dots. Does anyone know if any other region uses these? I’ve never seen them anywhere else. And if it’s a Leeds only thing, why do they need to put them on, but others don’t?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - radio listener - 01-03-2023

When studios were replaced in the past wasn't the 'boast' made that it was all done in a weekend? With them even finishing a show on a Friday evening with engineers coming into shot dismantling the set?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - DTV - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:24 PM)radio listener Wrote:  When studios were replaced in the past wasn't the 'boast' made that it was all done in a weekend?  With them even finishing a show on a Friday evening with engineers coming into shot dismantling the set?
I don't recall them dismantling a set on air, but 'over the weekend' was certainly the standard for news set replacement until the mid-2000s. It was certainly common for the following Monday's evening edition to include timelapses of the old set being dismantled and new one being installed.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Superman1986 - 01-03-2023

Do we know if Leeds is next on the list for the new set?

harshy - harshy - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 08:25 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Do we know if Leeds is next on the list for the new set?

Probably not well the set is 4 years old but the design is nearly 11 years old as they’ve used the same background for years now, but I think the studio itself is well old though with equipment probably spanning 25 years so you would think it would be up there for an upgrade, it just dosent look great really the lighting seems dim as well, the only upgrade Leeds has received is animated astons.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - ViridianFan - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 08:23 PM)IDTV Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 07:24 PM)radio listener Wrote:  When studios were replaced in the past wasn't the 'boast' made that it was all done in a weekend?  With them even finishing a show on a Friday evening with engineers coming into shot dismantling the set?
I don't recall them dismantling a set on air, but 'over the weekend' was certainly the standard for news set replacement until the mid-2000s. It was certainly common for the following Monday's evening edition to include timelapses of the old set being dismantled and new one being installed.
I do remember that the final programme before a new set ( i think it was the the programme before the 1999 cream and red studio) Stewart White did a piece to camera saying something about them having a new look on Monday before calling something like “ok guys” and then a  group of guys came in and started pulling apart the set