Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - RDJ - 07-03-2023

I do think camera shots make it all with these new sets.

Unfortunately Midlands Today just like to make use of static shots with barely any movement from the cameras. It makes the overall dynamism of the studio very poor, especially when compared to watching Look North Hull this evening.

I'm guessing it's more to do with the capabilities of the cameras rather than an intentional decision. Mary Rhodes may well have still been in the temporary set with the locked off shot used for the majority of the programme.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Kendal87 - 07-03-2023

I am unable to catch up on the iPlayer. Did Peter make any reference to the new set?

Superman1986 - Superman1986 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 08:50 AM)Kendal87 Wrote:  I am unable to catch up on the iPlayer. Did Peter make any reference to the new set?
No

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - harshy - 07-03-2023

I think the Look North Leeds will be couple of months, as well as rigging it all up it might be HD too? and plus they might wanna try out camera angles/presenting positions.

We should get a better shot with the monolith screen anyway then Hull hopefully.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Stockland Hillman - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 05:34 AM)RDJ Wrote:  I do think camera shots make it all with these new sets.

Unfortunately Midlands Today just like to make use of static shots with barely any movement from the cameras. It makes the overall dynamism of the studio very poor, especially when compared to watching Look North Hull this evening.

I'm guessing it's more to do with the capabilities of the cameras rather than an intentional decision. Mary Rhodes may well have still been in the temporary set with the locked off shot used for the majority of the programme.

It's not likely to to 'camera capabilities' more likely low skill, low ambition or just plain lazy production  (programme producers, the editor, and/or the studio director)

Easy to forget how much a difference a skilled team can make, even with a templated style of programme production.

It's a shame there isn't credits on BBC News

RE: Superman1986 - Former Member 406 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 09:59 AM)Superman1986 Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 08:50 AM)Kendal87 Wrote:  I am unable to catch up on the iPlayer. Did Peter make any reference to the new set?
No
There seems to have been a trend of not directly referring to the new set.

In the first EMT from the new Nott'm set, Anne Davies briefly said something along the lines of "they've let us out of the broom cupboard" (meaning the temp set in the meeting room). That was the only reference to them being back in the main studio, but the actual new set therein was not directly referenced. IIRC, this remark was made as part of the pre-weather banter and therefore towards the end of the programme.

I don't recall anything whatsoever being said by Elizabeth Glinka on the first MT about them being out of the temp set / back in the main Brum studio at all, not even a remark along the lines of the above.

Similarly, the closest that Peter Levy got to acknowledging the new set was also indirectly - by bantering about how weatherman Paul Hudson now looks giant (due to the proportions at which the inset image of him down-the-line from the Leeds CSO weather cupboard now appears).

I suspect that this trend of either no, or only brief and indirect, acknowledgement of the sets will continue.

It may well have a lot to do with aiming to detract from (or, at least, not make a song-and-dance about) the £millions being spent on fancy new tech-heavy sets amidst all the cutbacks and redundancies, which is obvious fodder for the Beeb-bashing sections of the media such as the Daily (Sieg) Heil etc.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Earlie37 - 08-03-2023

Nice couple of shots from behind the cameras...

https://twitter.com/TVRuss/status/1633565363488079872?s=20 

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - harshy - 08-03-2023

Not much room to play with no wonder the camera shots are too close to the monolith screen cutting the top and bottom off.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - all new phil - 08-03-2023

It looks better on screen - it definitely looks bigger than what it’s replaced.

The BBC has been a lot less disciplined than ITV historically when it comes to sticking to branding guidelines around the regions - some seem to think they know better. I can’t wait to see who changes things up first.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Yorksman - 09-03-2023

Tina Gelder hosting Calendar tonight with Michael, first time in a long time that she has presented the main programme.

Edit: And Frazer Maude reporting from a snowy Woodhead Pass, so another blast from the past.