Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - IanJRedman - 10-05-2023

(10-05-2023, 06:54 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Two things that regions seem to get with the new set - a different bit of closing music, and an iPlayer image for the 6:30 programme showing the presenter stood next to the tower.

The revised closing music seems to come with either the new set or an HD upgrade, whichever happens first? South Today got the new music when they went HD, but they're still using an old set.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Johnr - 10-05-2023

Another 'new' feature is how Paul Hudson (and presumably all the weather presenters) now join the presenter on the sofa as the closing music is playing out!

I think I've seen similar on other regions previously

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Andrew - 11-05-2023

There were some horrible effects on the main screen during the weather tonight

A bit the like the effects seen on the tower in Amy’s tweet below
https://twitter.com/amygarciauk/status/1656708386333900815?s=61&t=wGyqkUkQD69qK0u8z2C_Yw 

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - harshy - 11-05-2023

Is it because it’s half hd or it’s too close to the screen?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Humphrey Hacker - 11-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 07:06 PM)Andrew Wrote:  There were some horrible effects on the main screen during the weather tonight

https://twitter.com/amygarciauk/status/1656708386333900815?s=61&t=wGyqkUkQD69qK0u8z2C_Yw 

Yes there was a bad pattern on the weather screen like a cheap projector.

The banner version of the logo reminded me of a poor mock in the style of someone who will remain anonymous.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Earlie37 - 12-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 07:23 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 07:06 PM)Andrew Wrote:  There were some horrible effects on the main screen during the weather tonight

Yes there was a bad pattern on the weather screen like a cheap projector.

The banner version of the logo reminded me of a poor mock in the style of someone who will remain anonymous.

The pattern you can see is known as a moire effect. It's one of the downsides with LED and can be caused by a range of issues including the closeness of the cameras to the screen, the angle of the camera, the motion/colour of patterns on the screen and the general lighting. There's an awful lot of things that can cause it so I'm making very broad generalisations! If you were standing in the studio, there wouldn't be that pattern. It's caused by the way the camera is interpreting the images it is receiving so will only be seen on the broadcast.

With the size of their studio, I would assume that the cameras are very close to the screens, as they are in Birmingham. Therefore, you're much more likely to get the moire effect when the cameras are placed in certain positions and at certain angles. I think someone found out the screens being installed have a 2mm pitch so they have quite a fine resolution. I would assume that they have tried their best to avoid getting the effect but with the limitations of the studio dimensions and where they can place the cameras, getting the pattern on some shots will be inevitable. It could be a combination of factors rather than just one aspect to blame. I'm sure with time and experience, they'll probably find ways to stop or reduce the pattern as much as they can for certain shots, particularly during the weather.

You can get the same issue with things that aren't LED screens too - certain small/complicated patterns on clothing, (particularly things with small chequered patterns) are often a prime example so that's why you generally never see presenters wearing that type of clothing otherwise you will get moire on camera shots too.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Spencer - 12-05-2023

It was particularly bad on the weather yesterday. My husband, who generally doesn't notice the kind of things we do, commented on it. They did seem to sort the issue out on the tower screen after the first day, so hopefully they'll come up with a solution for the weather.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Humphrey Hacker - 13-05-2023

(12-05-2023, 01:13 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 07:23 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Yes there was a bad pattern on the weather screen like a cheap projector.

The pattern you can see is known as a moire effect. It's one of the downsides with LED and can be caused by a range of issues including the closeness of the cameras to the screen, the angle of the camera, the motion/colour of patterns on the screen and the general lighting. There's an awful lot of things that can cause it so I'm making very broad generalisations! If you were standing in the studio, there wouldn't be that pattern. It's caused by the way the camera is interpreting the images it is receiving so will only be seen on the broadcast.

With the size of their studio, I would assume that the cameras are very close to the screens, as they are in Birmingham. Therefore, you're much more likely to get the moire effect when the cameras are placed in certain positions and at certain angles. I think someone found out the screens being installed have a 2mm pitch so they have quite a fine resolution. I would assume that they have tried their best to avoid getting the effect but with the limitations of the studio dimensions and where they can place the cameras, getting the pattern on some shots will be inevitable. It could be a combination of factors rather than just one aspect to blame. I'm sure with time and experience, they'll probably find ways to stop or reduce the pattern as much as they can for certain shots, particularly during the weather.

You can get the same issue with things that aren't LED screens too - certain small/complicated patterns on clothing, (particularly things with small chequered patterns) are often a prime example so that's why you generally never see presenters wearing that type of clothing otherwise you will get moire on camera shots too.

Thank you for that brilliant explanation. Talking about cameras close to the screen reminded me of the  telerecording of yore. I'm sure that they'll find a way of reducing the effect but I do wonder if they could have run some tests before the revamp that could have eliminated the issue.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Former Member 406 - 14-05-2023

Funny to think how NE&C viewers have now had a taste of what regional news with an NBH-B style set looks like, before going back to the N6 style set that has occupied the Newcastle studio for 94,000 years until such a time as an LED set gets rolled-out to Newcastle (which may be many weeks/months away yet).

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - MFTJA - 14-05-2023

Former Member 406 Wrote:Funny to think how NE&C viewers have now had a taste of what regional news with an NBH-B style set looks like, before going back to the N6 style set that has occupied the Newcastle studio for 94,000 years until such a time as an LED set gets rolled-out to Newcastle (which may be many weeks/months away yet).
I do wonder whether Newcastle will opt for the desk or sofa version of the set. IIRC, way back at the start of the rollout someone mentioned the regions were asked to choose what variant they would like. The fact that Newcastle have stuck with a desk as their primary presentation area since the set was installed back in 09/10 makes me think they'll be inclined to continue using one when they finally get a new set. 

The Newcastle studio is so huge that it could easily house both a desk and a sofa (as they have presently). Part of me thinks that when they have their new set installed, they'll keep the TC7 style soft area just to have an extra presentational space.