Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 18-11-2023

I might be speaking too soon, but every time I’ve seen the weather presented from the Leeds studio this week there’s been no noticeable moiré effect. Have they finally sorted it?

harshy - harshy - 18-11-2023

(18-11-2023, 03:59 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  You're comparing apples and oranges through, Bristol has a proper full height lighting grid and a decent amount of floor space.

Leeds and Hull are similar maybe Steve?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - steve - 18-11-2023

(18-11-2023, 05:37 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I might be speaking too soon, but every time I’ve seen the weather presented from the Leeds studio this week there’s been no noticeable moiré effect. Have they finally sorted it?

It’s been tonnes better - I also think the picture quality across the studio has been better in past week or two, to my eyes anyway. Getting to grips with things / lighting tweaks, but it’s much improved.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 20-11-2023

A pan-regional bulletin going out from Hull tonight after the Ten due to “technical problems”. Stories from both regions were included, although the weather map was just East Yorks & Lincs’ patch.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - agemame - 24-11-2023

Looking back at this, it seems that the Leeds studio appeared on the video wall without lighting, and the introduction at 10 was from the Hull gallery, so they were already buddied. Whatever issue this was, it wasn't last minute, and probably affected more than the news opt.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Andrew - 25-11-2023

I might be wrong but I’d like to put a bet on that these “technical problems” are actually staff shortages.

That being either in front of the camera, behind the scenes, or something breaking and not having out of hours support to fix it.

It seems strange that before COVID regions not providing a bulletin happened very rarely, now since COVID and all the various cut backs in staffing numbers, at least one region in some part of the country seems to lose a bulletin every week.

Either there is literally nobody available to cover if the allocated person goes home sick, or there I no goodwill anymore due to all the cuts to do a double shift/come in on your day off etc.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 25-11-2023

I don't think Leeds and Hull have to Buddy in the CCM sense, either site can opt pan regionally as a matter of course

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 25-11-2023

(25-11-2023, 08:55 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I might be wrong but I’d like to put a bet on that these “technical problems” are actually staff shortages.

That being either in front of the camera, behind the scenes, or something breaking and not having out of hours support to fix it.

It seems strange that before COVID regions not providing a bulletin happened very rarely, now since COVID and all the various cut backs in staffing numbers, at least one region in some part of the country seems to lose a bulletin every week.

Either there is literally nobody available to cover if the allocated person goes home sick, or there I no goodwill anymore due to all the cuts to do a double shift/come in on your day off etc.
There does seem less of a will these days to make sure the regional news goes out no matter what.

Even during industrial action, in the past, managers would step up to present and produce programmes to make sure they still provided a basic service. Now it seems to be a case of dropping programmes and putting out another region at the drop of a hat.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 26-11-2023

(25-11-2023, 10:20 PM)Spencer Wrote:  There does seem less of a will these days to make sure the regional news goes out no matter what.

Even during industrial action, in the past, managers would step up to present and produce programmes to make sure they still provided a basic service. Now it seems to be a case of dropping programmes and putting out another region at the drop of a hat.

One wonders with the changes to the way opting works and routing regions via CCM has made this the easier option, and now nobody would entertain going out of their way to sustain their regional obligations.

It would be pretty embarrassing/poor form for them to say that it's 'technical issues' (the normal meaning being a fault) when it's short staffing/cutbacks - bordering on dishonest.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - harshy - 26-11-2023

Leeds always seem to have an issue so much now the two white dots appear randomly in the middle of an HD transmission like Laura Ks show to make sure it’s working but resulting in an SD picture whilst they are doing this.