Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 26-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 12:26 AM)Mike Wrote:  One wonders with the changes to the way opting works and routing regions via CCM has made this the easier option, and now nobody would entertain going out of their way to sustain their regional obligations.

It would be pretty embarrassing/poor form for them to say that it's 'technical issues' (the normal meaning being a fault) when it's short staffing/cutbacks - bordering on dishonest.

It happens though. Although I have read anecdotes of the technical people in the gallery in one region threatening to pull the programme off air if a cock-up by production that meant an item that had been trailing couldn't be shown was described on air as a technical problem.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Andrew - 27-11-2023

Des Coleman with Calendar weather tonight

But yesterday the Yorkshire weather was with Charlie Powell from Westcountry which may be a first (or at least a second). He’s not a name I’ve seen do the weather as far north as here before

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 27-11-2023

(26-11-2023, 10:26 AM)harshy Wrote:  Leeds always seem to have an issue so much now the two white dots appear randomly in the middle of an HD transmission like Laura Ks show to make sure it’s working but resulting in an SD picture whilst they are doing this.
I find that quite distracting when watching LK, but maybe that’s because I notice these things.

As far as I’m aware, Leeds is the only region to use white dots or anything similar to check they’re in circuit.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - JACKLUFC1998 - 27-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 08:51 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Des Coleman with Calendar weather tonight

But yesterday the Yorkshire weather was with Charlie Powell from Westcountry which may be a first (or at least a second). He’s not a name I’ve seen do the weather as far north as here before

Wondered who that face was doing the forecast before Deal or no Deal! Apparently he (Des) also used to do the weather at BBC East Midlands Today and had a role in EastEnders at one point too?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 28-11-2023

(27-11-2023, 09:06 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I find that quite distracting when watching LK, but maybe that’s because I notice these things.

As far as I’m aware, Leeds is the only region to use white dots or anything similar to check they’re in circuit.

I think they started doing it after several early failures to opt after the current building opened. I suspect there may be an element of the opt switch being more complex so that they can opt pan-regionally from either Hull or Leeds

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - lookoutwales - 28-11-2023

A couple of interesting pieces from Transdiffusion - publicity surrounding the launch of two YTV news studios in Hull.

The big difference when comparing 1968 to 1989 is probably not so much the facility itself, but that YTV was making an early effort to stake a claim on what was initially Anglia territory.

https://transdiffusion.org/2023/11/27/tonight-yorkshire-television-opens-another-studio/ 
https://transdiffusion.org/2023/11/21/youre-welcome/ 

Anglia also had a newsroom in the city - and in Grimsby - up until the Belmont switch in 1974.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 28-11-2023

(28-11-2023, 01:15 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think they started doing it after several early failures to opt after the current building opened. I suspect there may be an element of the opt switch being more complex so that they can opt pan-regionally from either Hull or Leeds
I’d not thought of the pan-regional issue. Funnily enough I’d noticed the white dots that appear during LK are full circles, whereas normally they tend to be cut off at the bottom, like a rising/setting sun. Perhaps the full circle denotes they’re pan-regional.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 28-11-2023

Isn't there usually a white and a black circle stacked in a figure of 8? I think that is the cut off you're seeing

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 28-11-2023

I’ve only ever noticed the two dots side by side.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 28-11-2023

Does anyone have a capture of what this 'confidence check' looks like? I must admit I'm not familiar with any other regions doing them in recent memory - I think BBC East (West) did it in 2016 at some point when I lived in that region.

Birmingham certainly did do them when they tested the 'Child Rescue Alert' astons in 2006/7 time - not sure they ever actually used this in anger or if it's even a thing anymore - they did make a song and dance about it at the time. Might have just been a trial? But they tested it 3 times over network programmes in the evening - each time they did it they'd have a pause symbol top left of the picture then the aston would appear (the standard Midlands Today aston of the time with a yellow band across the top).