Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - JACKLUFC1998 - 31-01-2024

(31-01-2024, 11:54 AM)harshy Wrote:  I think it’s sharper on the actual broadcast channel then it is on iplayer, the edges looked much sharper.

Looks like you are right though the actual cameras are HD been downscaled into the SD mixer, a bit like when I watch a UHD channel being downscaled to HD resolution.

Which is the next region due for an HD upgrade?

I'm hoping it's Leeds! If Leeds gets the HD upgrade before Hull, will the only times East Yorks/Lincs viewers see their local news in HD be at Breakfast?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - London Lite - 31-01-2024

I'm not sure if the other Breakfast bulletins were the same, but Leeds used a fixed head shot from the sofa instead of the usual stand up shot after 9am.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - harshy - 31-01-2024

(31-01-2024, 02:39 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Leeds does look better this lunchtime on studio shots. Unless I missed them, they didn't seem to put the cue dots up when they soft opted.

It’s definitely sharper watching on a top of the range LG OLED UHD tv right now, it’s a lot better with the live camera shots.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 01-02-2024

(31-01-2024, 07:35 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s definitely sharper watching on a top of the range LG OLED UHD tv right now, it’s a lot better with the live camera shots.

To be fair, as I have an LG OLED UHD TV, it uses AI upscaling within the TV to make an image match its resolution.

I think what you're seeing is a 1080 image which is already downscaled and upscaled be upscaled by software and as a result it doesn't look half bad. There's been no technical changes at Leeds outside of a new set install. It's still an SD operation after all.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - harshy - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 10:40 AM)Mike Wrote:  To be fair, as I have an LG OLED UHD TV, it uses AI upscaling within the TV to make an image match its resolution.

I think what you're seeing is a 1080 image which is already downscaled and upscaled be upscaled by software and as a result it doesn't look half bad. There's been no technical changes at Leeds outside of a new set install. It's still an SD operation after all.

Aah I switched all the AI stuff off as I followed a YouTube guide.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 01-02-2024

One thing I've noticed over the past couple of days is the text on the headlines at the start of the programme, and in the previews during the national bulletins, seems to have developed a dark stroke around it. It reminds me of bad caption keying from the 70s and 80s.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - lhx1985 - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 05:16 PM)Spencer Wrote:  One thing I've noticed over the past couple of days is the text on the headlines at the start of the programme, and in the previews during the national bulletins, seems to have developed a dark stroke around it. It reminds me of bad caption keying from the 70s and 80s.

Look North uses CasparCG, right?
If so, I think that will be deliberate use of a text-shadow css property.

Isn't there usually a subtle black gradient behind that text to make it more visible, that seems to be missing on that cap?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 05:45 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  Look North uses CasparCG, right?
If so, I think that will be deliberate use of a text-shadow css property.

Isn't there usually a subtle black gradient behind that text to make it more visible, that seems to be missing on that cap?

They aren't the only ones with that issue, since the Reith relaunch Midlands Today have had it - it looks like poor keying:
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/Beep/Screenshot%202024-02-01%20164743.png 

I assume they're using the same Caspar template

The subtle fade is there - but I don't think it's intense enough to make the headline legible on lighter backgrounds so they've compensated with the shadow.

Other issues include squashing the font width instead of expanding to multi-line if it goes beyond a certain amount of words - default kerning too...

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 01-02-2024

Interesting. Look North's headlines have definitely changed in the past few days. I'm wondering if the dark gradient has been made more transparent, as it's still there, but seems more subtle – and then they've added the stroke/drop shadow to keep legibility.

I'd have assumed a change like this was someone in Leeds doing their own thing, as the regions tend to do with generic looks after a while. But odd that it's on Midlands Today as well. Is it possible that someone in Leeds/Birmingham/wherever would have access to change the universal Caspar template, affecting multiple regions?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 10:40 AM)Mike Wrote:  There's been no technical changes at Leeds outside of a new set install. It's still an SD operation after all.

Is that definitive info? It certainly looks better on my somewhat more modest 5+ year old Hitachi telly.