Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 06:15 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Is that definitive info? It certainly looks better on my somewhat more modest 5+ year old Hitachi telly.

Apps wise they are still on old infrastructure (a given if they're using CasparCG as opposed to the Ross solution). You can see the PQ change when they soft opt on the iPlayer stream along with the telltale black bar.

From being nosy with Amy Garcia's X feed I can see that since at least May they've had the newer Sony cameras, which are native HD. The last technical upgrade they got in the gallery not linked to Caspar replacing the Aston and the new set was in 2017 when they got a new multi-viewer and monitor stack but the VM stayed the same.

It may be that some kit has been relocated from other parts of Nations and Regions to replace failing or aging kit (they were still on a GVG Zodiak in July), they may have wound up with Norwich's old mixer for instance which may help? I don't actually know - but they haven't switched to HD or the IGS yet.

(01-02-2024, 06:13 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Interesting. Look North's headlines have definitely changed in the past few days. I'm wondering if the dark gradient has been made more transparent, as it's still there, but seems more subtle – and then they've added the stroke/drop shadow to keep legibility.

I'd have assumed a change like this was someone in Leeds doing their own thing, as the regions tend to do with generic looks after a while. But odd that it's on Midlands Today as well. Is it possible that someone in Leeds/Birmingham/wherever would have access to change the universal Caspar template, affecting multiple regions?

I don't think they would; the templates are stored on the Caspar server at each site and are almost standalone from the other kit. As I said the strange outline has been there since at least 2019 on Midlands Today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRDc5L55RI 

Weirdly the first day they were able to do multi-line headlines

and this video shows Leeds had the shadow/outline in September

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKfm7lmJxrw 

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Spencer - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 06:47 PM)Mike Wrote:  and this video shows Leeds had the shadow/outline in September

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKfm7lmJxrw 

Well I’ve no idea why I’ve noticed it so much the past couple of days, and never before. I’m sure it seems more prominent. Or maybe there’s something in the water here in Yorkshire that’s suddenly making us notice things that haven’t changed. Undecided

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - agemame - 02-02-2024

I don't think it's placebo, they seem to have been playing around with the lighting/gamma over the past few days, particularly on weather prerecords and the like. I guess to some extent there are things that can be done to improve the perceived quality without the HD gallery, but quite why there's such heavy tinkering going on right now I have no idea.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 12:15 PM)agemame Wrote:  I don't think it's placebo, they seem to have been playing around with the lighting/gamma over the past few days, particularly on weather prerecords and the like. I guess to some extent there are things that can be done to improve the perceived quality without the HD gallery, but quite why there's such heavy tinkering going on right now I have no idea.

That's probably more like it, I'd not be surprised if they're reading here and reacting to people saying things look too blue...

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - harshy - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 12:15 PM)agemame Wrote:  I don't think it's placebo, they seem to have been playing around with the lighting/gamma over the past few days, particularly on weather prerecords and the like. I guess to some extent there are things that can be done to improve the perceived quality without the HD gallery, but quite why there's such heavy tinkering going on right now I have no idea.

They tinkered with the nighttime backdrop yesterday, it was blurred on last nights edition of Look North

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 02-02-2024

And it looked very odd having just seen it on the iPlayer, almost as if it was unintentional. They can blur some of the backgrounds if they're overlaying graphics or insetting things. There's no requirement to defocus/blur the backdrop if the cameras are focused on the presenter correctly.

I looked at the late bulletin as well, and it did revert to normal.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Mike - 08-02-2024

Is there any reason why Look Leeds is only 19 minutes long on the iPlayer? The evening news seems to start with a sting and into a news roundup.

Compliance issues or technical issues?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - JACKLUFC1998 - 08-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 02:26 AM)Mike Wrote:  Is there any reason why Look Leeds is only 19 minutes long on the iPlayer? The evening news seems to start with a sting and into a news roundup.

Compliance issues or technical issues?

Might've been because of the Party Political Broadcast that was on after it? Other than the mention of BBC winning Super League rights, there was no sport (not even a mention of Leeds' win at Plymouth in the FA Cup) as well.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - London Lite - 08-02-2024

First time in a while there's been different weather presenters on the two Yorkshire editions of Look North at 6.30.

Leeds got Paul Hudson from Leeds Bradford Airport and Hull had a DTL from the Leeds weather studio with Keeley Donovan.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 09-02-2024

Not quite sure what having Paul there added to proceedings.

Katerina said that Keeley was doing tonight on the Radio Leeds breakfast show (in the context of send us your pictures and Keeley will show some at teatime) and Phil Bodmer said he would be back after the Ten with Keeley, so it sounds like they've dragged Paul in on his day off for a couple of barely lit live hits that you couldn't really tell were at the airport and didn't tell us anything that Keeley couldn't have from the sofa.