Pres Café
TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Stooky Bill - 06-12-2022

(05-12-2022, 10:55 PM)ASnep Wrote:  
(05-12-2022, 08:46 PM)Stooky Bil Wrote:  I seem to remember that Al Jazeera Sports (now BeIN) also managed to keep the match, I can't remember how (or if anyone ever found out how!)

Yes, that is also mentioned in the video Bennyboy84 posted. Apparently AlJazeera were relying on ITV for English speaking coverage (even for matches that ITV didn't cover), which is why they took the feed from ITV and not directly from UEFA
At the time Al Jazeera Sports' English language  coverage came from ITV at the South Bank. Originally in the old London Tonight studio and then when Daybreak started they swapped into the former GMTV studio. For the 2012 Olympics they had a temporary studio out on the promenade outside

Their Champions League coverage was hosted by Gary Lineker for a while - the BBCs main sports anchor presenting at ITV

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - TIGHazard - 07-12-2022

As the creator of the video, all the information comes from a discussion on the old blue place - specifically from UKNews

https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1233355#post-1233355 

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - TVNerd - 10-12-2022

Extremely minor but BBC One Scotland’s ECP prematurely triggered before Graham Norton’s credits rolled, however unlike previous occurrences of this error, the show was not cut off early
[Image: 9-F9-FFCC5-4261-49-C5-A3-AA-53-A5-CD4-E8-B3-B.jpg]

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Si-Co - 15-12-2022

Here is something very odd. This episode of the schools programme Geography Today was first shown in January 1982 (and repeated for several years), and this appears to be a recording of its first ever TX (which may be relevant).

https://youtu.be/rapXa2Z-VNo 

At about 11:15 on this clip, odd graphics appear on the screen which aren’t part of the programme. You can see a “shadowy” tripod-like object overlaid on the screen, then some text like “splat”, in a comic font, a few random images and finally “Isn’t this educational?” superimposed over the picture. This goes on for about two minutes.

I do know that this episode was repeated in April, at the end of that term, due to “technical problems” with the original transmission. I doubt what we see is enough to warrant a repeat (I may be wrong), but I do know it was scheduled twice a week, so perhaps the scheduled encore the following day was cancelled altogether, hence it being reshown at the end of term instead.

If the above is correct, it implies these offending captions etc were actually on the tape itself. But I’m only speculating that the encore may have been pulled altogether and rescheduled. If they weren’t on the tape, was someone in the gallery at Granada or Central responsible? Maybe messing about not realising their terminal or whatever was live to air? [The series was networked to all from Granada VT/TK via Central who inserted the surrounding pres].

I believe this was recorded in the Anglia region but the issue seemed to affect all regions and the episode was certainly repeated in April across the network. For this reason, I doubt this could be a broadcast breakthrough/interruption which I initially considered as that would only affect one transmitter (unless someone somehow hijacked the network feed at a microwave site - but I’m sure that’s impossible?)

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts!

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Steve in Pudsey - 15-12-2022

Intriguing. Pure speculation but the graphics have a definite TISWAS look to me.

1981 sounds too early for digital slide stores, but some kind of situation where the Transmission Controller in Central Pres was going through a slide scanner or similar looking for a particular image not realising the device was on air?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Si-Co - 15-12-2022

I’ve noticed there’s a definite picture “glitch” at 11:14 and 12:46 which is when the “interference” starts and finishes. Someone realising that whatever they were doing was going out on TX and flicking a switch? I’ve also just noticed the random slides of faces, people and the Jobcentre - it looks like these could be part of, or intended to be part of, another show. The “isn’t this educational?” text could be just a coincidence and not a deliberate reaction to the Geography programme! So I suspect you’re on the right lines, Steve.

I’m now very doubtful these captions/images were burnt onto the film/VT, so I really don’t understand why this episode was given a repeat showing in the middle of the Easter Holidays. You can hear Philip Elsmore’s (local) explanation for the repeat here at about 02:42. 90 seconds of interference, no matter how “inappropriate” it may have been, surely doesn’t warrant the whole episode being shown again (and, as stated above, it had already - if all went to plan - had an encore TX the following day). I wonder if some regions cut away from the broadcast if they noticed what was going on, perhaps fearing a profanity or the suchlike, and therefore lost a few minutes of the programme?

https://youtu.be/qWGb_iUM0lY 

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Steve in Pudsey - 15-12-2022

The slides aren't entirely random, the Job Centre one appears after the "Sack Him" one.

The Philip Elsmore voice over just complicates things though - was it a Thames only repeat due to a local issue? Otherwise Central would surely have announced the repeat on the network feed

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Stooky Bill - 15-12-2022

It looks like another programme, or parts of another programme maybe even an edit being accidently mixed onto the programme.

That graffiti font style was very common in those days, especially for youth and education programmes. As mentioned above it's very similar to the sort of typeface Tiswas used.

My guess is that it's a VT area cock up and that's something being produced elsewhere at Granada

Si-Co - Si-Co - 15-12-2022

The repeat in April was part networked - from what I can see Central was one of the regions - or perhaps the only region- who didn’t show it. Out of the listings I can find, it shows in the schedules of Thames, Granada, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees, Border and HTV.  What that implies is anyone’s guess. If the IBA had insisted on a repeat you’d think it would be fully networked.

I assume Granada played it out that April morning, along with the preceding pres. I was watching on TTT and we got a two-minute schools standby with a text only slide caption and standard clock, with the same music as the previous term.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 20-12-2022

This popped up for a split second towards the end of yesterday's second classic corrie on ITV3: