Pres Café
TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Si-Co - 02-04-2023

Jumping on the routing issue, did every station (except Channel) have the facility to network a programme to everyone else? It appears that sometimes a programme went from the originating station to the rest of the network via THS/LWT. Did it make a difference whether or not the show was live?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bluecortina - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 05:30 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  When you say buzzing BT, do you mean phone them or was there a 4 wire or similar to them?

If the former it seems a bit quick. Mind you I remember a programme overrunning and being derouted by the Tower and the engineer on duty taking it upon himself to put it back as he was watching it off-air and wanted to see the end  Smile

Yes, a 4-wire. Being a major contractor LWT would also have permanent 4-wires additionally to the local IBA control room and most, but not all, of the other ITV contractors MCR areas.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Steve in Pudsey - 03-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 06:22 PM)Si-Co Wrote:  Jumping on the routing issue, did every station (except Channel) have the facility to network a programme to everyone else? It appears that sometimes a programme went from the originating station to the rest of the network via THS/LWT. Did it make a difference whether or not the show was live?

I'm sure somebody will correct this, but my understanding is:

Every station had "local ends" to BT, once in BT's network it could be routed as required.

Sometimes it was convenient (and cheaper as BT charged for each switch) to have one company act as a switching point to save on switches or make things operationally more convenient when successive items came from different parts of the network. Often THS/LWT but weekday mornings would have everything going through Granada for example (the 9.25 junction would be tricky otherwise), and of course ATV/Central handled Schools and CITV.

See https://routinesheetsdatabase.co.uk/  you'll see notes about how individual programmes were networked.

In the case of this example I can't think why Maidstone wouldn't have been direct to network (or via Southampton) rather than via LWT.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - robertclark125 - 03-04-2023

I'm guessing then, as this was Saturday morning, and The Chart Show, which I think was produced by LWT, followed Motormouth, everything was sent via LWT, to act as the switching point. And, as mentioned above, presumably BT tower accidentally switched HTV colour bars in briefly, before they returned to Motormouth, hence why it was seen on LWT, and I guess elsewhere?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - JAS84 - 03-04-2023

No, Chart Show was made by an indie called Video Visuals, and presented to the network by Yorkshire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chart_Show 

You're probably confusing it with it's successor CD:UK, which was also made by an indie, Blaze, but was filmed at LWT's London Studios.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 03-04-2023

According to the episode listings the BFI have, Granada were responsible for presenting The Chart Show to the network until 1993, though their endcap never appeared on the show.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - robertclark125 - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 10:36 AM)James2001 Wrote:  According to the episode listings the BFI have, Granada were responsible for presenting The Chart Show to the network until 1993, though their endcap never appeared on the show.

Would that mean, then, similar arrangements on a Saturday morning, to a weekday morning, but with LWT as the switching point? With Saint and Greavsie coming from the LWT studios as well, then would Granada have transmitted The Chart Show, down the line, to LWT to play out? Which, again, would mean the HTV colour bars were seen across the network, in the video I posted above.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - octothorpe - 03-04-2023

Forgot to post this last night, but there were a few minor audio and visual glitches on Dave yesterday. Watching HIGNFY at 9pm, there was some stuttering of the picture coming in and out of ad breaks early in the programme, that comprised of brief frames of black coming up (that IIRC affected Dave's own promos rather than ads themselves) but later on there was some brief audio stuttering too. Seems to have been resolved in the later part of the programme, though, and it was the only show I watched on Dave last night so can't attest to whether it impacted earlier or later in the evening.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Si-Co - 03-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 10:36 AM)James2001 Wrote:  According to the episode listings the BFI have, Granada were responsible for presenting The Chart Show to the network until 1993, though their endcap never appeared on the show.

At some point in the 90s, we definitely began seeing “a Yorkshire Television Presentation” nationally at the end of The Chart Show. Not sure if this was 1993 and they took over from Granada as the ITV company responsible for the show?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 03-04-2023

With the episodes I have, it's 1993 when the Yorkshire endcap starts appearing. Before that, there's no ITV company endcap, which must have been pretty unique, even movies and imports had endcaps. Though sone early-mid 1989 episodes recorded from Central do have their animated endcap at the end, nothing from any other regions though.