Pres Café
TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 16-04-2023

On a note more related to the thread, the Disney Club in its later years used to span the switch between GMTV and the ITV companies, the switch would take place at the end of an an break. I think it was the only show that did this in the GMTV days (though it happens every weekday now with Lorraine, though it's virtually irrelevent and invisible these days unless you're watching STV).

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Stooky Bill - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 12:19 PM)James2001 Wrote:  On a note more related to the thread, the Disney Club in its later years used to span the switch between GMTV and the ITV companies, the switch would take place at the end of an an break. I think it was the only show that did this in the GMTV days (though it happens every weekday now with Lorraine, though it's virtually irrelevent and invisible these days unless you're watching STV).
The Grand Prix coverage did it too, with GMTV given airtime later in the day in exchange

Not sure if that really counted, as it wasn't the case of a programme spanning the GMTV switch, the Grand Prix would have been entirely considered entirely ITV even if it was shown when GMTV would usually have been on air, whereas with the Disney Club, it began during GMTV, but ended outside of it.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - robertclark125 - 16-04-2023

Regards the TV-am to No. 73 phone call, this was an explanation I got on the Southern, TVS group on Facebook.

It looks like the transmitter switch from TVam to the local ITV stations happened at the end of WACaday - you can see the recording lose servo-lock when the close-up of the phone key pad appears suggesting a non-sync cut. (The cut from TVam to the local ITV franchises was non-sync ISTR as it was done at the lines level?). I think that TVS will have booked a feed of the output of the TVam studio in Camden to allow the two-way to take place - then I suspect the No.73 gallery will have played in the TVS ident ?

Further to this, someone else, who worked at TVS, added this comment:

We at TVS gave a clean feed of No73 to LWT who fed the whole network.
I was on the MCR desk feeding the studio to LWT and liaising all the communications including a 4-wire to LWT Presentation.

Obviously, it doesn't explain what happened the previous week, that Ethel and Timmy alluded to.

And another person made this comment:

I'm sure a pres expert will confirm, but you can see the switch between TVAM and the ITV network. I would say that Maidstone still had a live link to Camden as there are no commercials at the end of WAC and no time to record a link. With the delay before Sandi dialed I would say both are live, but could be wrong.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Neil Jones - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 03:39 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 12:19 PM)James2001 Wrote:  On a note more related to the thread, the Disney Club in its later years used to span the switch between GMTV and the ITV companies, the switch would take place at the end of an an break. I think it was the only show that did this in the GMTV days (though it happens every weekday now with Lorraine, though it's virtually irrelevent and invisible these days unless you're watching STV).
The Grand Prix coverage did it too, with GMTV given airtime later in the day in exchange

Well. probably the following week, not necessarily the same "day" as such.
There was at least one occasion where the Grand Prix coverage covered the whole 6-9:25 window and GMTV did not get on air at all that Sunday. Pretty much the whole of the following Sunday until about IIRC 11:30am was GMTV.

Disney Club only really straddled the GMTV handover in terms of name; it would probably have had an enforced "break" leading up to 9:25, but since the actual handover was seamless on viewing (never mind what VHS recordings on YouTube will tell you otherwise), most probably didn't even notice (or probably care for that matter).

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - TIGHazard - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 06:20 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 03:39 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The Grand Prix coverage did it too, with GMTV given airtime later in the day in exchange

Well. probably the following week, not necessarily the same "day" as such.
There was at least one occasion where the Grand Prix coverage covered the whole 6-9:25 window and GMTV did not get on air at all that Sunday.  Pretty much the whole of the following Sunday until about IIRC 11:30am was GMTV.

Disney Club only really straddled the GMTV handover in terms of name; it would probably have had an enforced "break" leading up to 9:25, but since the actual handover was seamless on viewing (never mind what VHS recordings on YouTube will tell you otherwise), most probably didn't even notice (or probably care for that matter).

Would it not have had a "See you tomorrow 6.00-9.25" at the end of the final GMTV break?

No, there wasn't one of those on the days the disney club was shown.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Neil Jones - 16-04-2023

If you mean "see you tomorrow" on the Saturday before there would be no GMTV where it was replaced by the motor racing, then "probably not" is the most likely answer. But yes, if Disney Club was on there was no "see you tomorrow" in any event.

Perhaps I didn't express myself properly in my post - Disney Club was as far as Joe Public is concerned, one programme that just happened to start at 8am and finish at 10:40am or whatever time it went off the air. The fact it just happened to straddle 9:25 is irrelevant to them.

I dare say most people saw TV-am (and GMTV) and their sub programmes/strands as just another programme on ITV, and for all the fuss that was made about TV-am being "a new national network" (as David Frost said on the first show), that whole concept was soon forgotten (as was most of the original format for that matter) and you could be forgiven for not being aware it was an entirely different company providing it.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Stooky Bill - 17-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 06:13 PM)robertclark125 Wrote:  Regards the TV-am to No. 73 phone call, this was an explanation I got on the Southern, TVS group on Facebook.

It looks like the transmitter switch from TVam to the local ITV stations happened at the end of WACaday - you can see the recording lose servo-lock when the close-up of the phone key pad appears suggesting a non-sync cut. (The cut from TVam to the local ITV franchises was non-sync ISTR as it was done at the lines level?). I think that TVS will have booked a feed of the output of the TVam studio in Camden to allow the two-way to take place - then I suspect the No.73 gallery will have played in the TVS ident ?
Yes, the TVS ident will have been on the beginning of the title sequence. It was standard practice to edit the production company ident onto the title sequence. This of course how it is able to fly through the letterbox of the red door. 

That's how I assumed it worked, it's not quite tight enough to be recorded, and when would they have done it? Even if there was an ad break between the two programmes that's as good as doing it live (they couldn't clip up and file transfer back then). 

As for the comms between Timmy and Sandi I'm pretty sure they went by this actual phones. Looking at the clip again, the wire of Sandi/Ethel's phone goes up and over the piano. Looks awful and not something they'd do if it wasn't necessary to wire it in somewhere. In those days it was quite normal to have actual live phones on studio floors, often it was the way the presenter was communicated with. 

Phone lines are still used for TV comms, either land lines or mobile lines. Generally they're a lot easier than getting circuits set up and also will often be a lot more reliable. In this case why get a 4-wire route from Maidstone via the tower to Camden and through the galleries at both ends when there's already the telephone network available?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bluecortina - 17-04-2023

Telephones used on tv studio floors are generally connected to the sound gallery and thence to a TBU (Telephone Balance Unit). The link below gives an inkling as to why operationally.

https://www.broadcastradio.com/traditional-single-line-systems