Pres Café
TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - TVenthusiasm - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 09:29 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  Watching a recent recording of Snakes in the City from Nat Geo Wild and before an ad break the picture froze, then after a couple of minutes went black few more minutes passed until an ad break kicked in then the programme resumed missing out what should have been shown during the frozen/black screen section.

Do you know when this happened?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bennyboy84 - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 09:46 PM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  Do you know when this happened?

It was recorded on Wednesday 20th September at 20:00 the issue was quite early in the programme.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - robertclark125 - 25-09-2023

IS there a +1 version of this channel? If so, would it have been the same on there?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - TVenthusiasm - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 08:57 AM)robertclark125 Wrote:  IS there a +1 version of this channel? If so, would it have been the same on there?

No, but I'd reckon the issue would be shown on the +1 channel if it did exist

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Neil Jones - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 08:57 AM)robertclark125 Wrote:  IS there a +1 version of this channel? If so, would it have been the same on there?

If it was a "playout" issue almost certainly, as most of the +1 channels are just the main channel on a delay and maybe with an extra +1 DOG, so if it went out on the normal channel, it almost certainly would have gone out on +1 as well, issues and all (unless it was a case of somebody dropped an f bomb, got their bum out, somebody did something you're not supposed to show at 8pm - but as this was pre-recorded (and IIRC that programme was made for the US channel originally and appears on the UK arm by default) none of that applies... I hope?)

Quickly get this in before the edit window closes - this post might be of interest:
https://pres.cafe/showthread.php?tid=546&pid=44653#pid44653 

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bennyboy84 - 25-09-2023

The catch up version of the same episode did not have the issue so I’m guessing it was an issue at the time with the channel itself or maybe Virgin as it’s not unheard of for channels on Virgin to go off for a bit

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - TVenthusiasm - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 11:13 AM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  The catch up version of the same episode did not have the issue so I’m guessing it was an issue at the time with the channel itself or maybe Virgin as it’s not unheard of for channels on Virgin to go off for a bit

Well when the breakdown happened I got this screen instead when watching the episode on catch-up

[Image: 2023-09-25_11h40_04.png]

And when the screen disappeared the adverts were playing

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bennyboy84 - 25-09-2023

So it was the channel then? There was also no acknowledgement by them for it at any point.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Neil Jones - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 02:50 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  So it was the channel then? There was also no acknowledgement by them for it at any point.

Hardly surprising.
Assume the channel has continuity announcements, but they'll almost certainly be pre-recorded.

Most of the smaller channels don't acknowledge anything if something goes wrong, because there isn't anybody there to do that. Depending on what went wrong priority will be to get it up and running again (if indeed it was a channel problem).

Haven't seen that dialogue before, presume that's a Virgin thing?

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Steve in Pudsey - 25-09-2023

Last Wednesday at 8pm there was some heavy rain which affected a number of channels uplinks to Astra, including several Sky Sports channels and some ITV1 regions. (I mentioned it in the Sport thread). I suspect this was the same issue.