Pres Café
TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bluecortina - 03-10-2023

My wife, who used to work in BBC Presentation in the early 80’s, tells me that they used to play a few tracks or so of a colleagues favourite LP during the closedown sequence on BBC2. Not every night. So, the selection was totally random and really was what someone brought in from their own collection.

She told me it was how she first heard, and became a fan of, ‘The Alan Parsons Project’. She has great taste in music.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 03-10-2023

Surprised they were allowed to play commercial music like that!

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - octothorpe - 06-10-2023

BBC News had some difficulty when leaving behind the Scottish by-election coverage tonight and rejoining normal programming. After the journalist montage interstitial, once they'd cut back to the 'world feed' (so-to-speak; I'm not au fait with the exact terms), the music behind that interstitial continued playing in the background for about another minute or so. An early morning cock-up that I'm not sure merits much commentary and likely happens more often than I realise as only an occasional viewer (and even more so at this time of night!)

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 10-10-2023

(13-09-2023, 05:14 PM)channel4squares1 Wrote:  2 examples of the "Place Commercial Here" from outside the UK and US that they left in.

First off, from an unknown channel from 2001 during the 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJc78zxZes 

Second, during an episode of Star Trek on a Portuguese channel called SIC Radical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZFf1p144LU 

And finally, "Sponsors Message" during a mid 2010's showing of Gunsmoke on MeTV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQWdSY7scg 

Related to leaving things in that should be removed, been reminded that on the DVD release of one of the 90 Sonic cartoons, this slate is left in at the start of one episode:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=645]

The September 2004 date is interesting, as that's pretty much the same time that GMTV2 and Pop started repeating the show, so quite possibly the DVD is sourced from copies actually made for those repeats.

The DVD of the other 90s Sonic cartoon (they liked to confuse us by making two at the same time.... I remember being so confused when Channel 4 switched between them one week with no warning) has the textless elements left in at the end of one episode as well.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Neil Jones - 11-10-2023

DVD releases of stuff (particularly TV series) used to just use whatever copies they came across first, whether they were broadcast, syndication, alternative edits... which may be what happened with Sonic above (of the most recent copies made for a broadcaster) so no guarantees you'd get what was made in the first place... And even if they had the right copies for home media release didn't mean they'd screw up something else along the way.

I remember when The Thin Blue Line was pushed out on DVD. The first series episodes are in the wrong order from broadcast for a start, and the second series episodes (in Region 2 anyway) often run longer than the original broadcast slot (one episode is about 42 minutes long - it went out in a 30 minute slot).

This doesn't happen with film releases as - well there's only one feature length thing on those, and that's the film itself, plus any extras - and the film companies tend to do all that compiling and packaging themselves of their material. TV stuff releases tend to get farmed out for one reason or another.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - JasonB - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 07:25 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  DVD releases of stuff (particularly TV series) used to just use whatever copies they came across first, whether they were broadcast, syndication, alternative edits... which may be what happened with Sonic above (of the most recent copies made for a broadcaster) so no guarantees you'd get what was made in the first place...  And even if they had the right copies for home media release didn't mean they'd screw up something else along the way.

I remember when The Thin Blue Line was pushed out on DVD.  The first series episodes are in the wrong order from broadcast for a start, and the second series episodes (in Region 2 anyway) often run longer than the original broadcast slot (one episode is about 42 minutes long - it went out in a 30 minute slot).

This doesn't happen with film releases as - well there's only one feature length thing on those, and that's the film itself, plus any extras - and the film companies tend to do all that compiling and packaging themselves of their material.  TV stuff releases tend to get farmed out for one reason or another.

I remember buying Friends on DVD as a teenager in 2001, these DVD's had "now with footage you've never seen" on the front cover. It took me a while to workout that the episodes on side B were the unedited broadcast versions with extra dialogue and extended scenes and the episodes on side A were the original TV broadcasts.

I watched the one where Chandler didn't like dogs several times claiming the  "now with footage you've never seen" line was false advertising as it just appeared the same to me at first until i was really paying attention and finally saw a scene that didn't appear on side A.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - James2001 - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 07:25 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  DVD releases of stuff (particularly TV series) used to just use whatever copies they came across first, whether they were broadcast, syndication, alternative edits... which may be what happened with Sonic above (of the most recent copies made for a broadcaster) so no guarantees you'd get what was made in the first place...  And even if they had the right copies for home media release didn't mean they'd screw up something else along the way.

I remember when The Thin Blue Line was pushed out on DVD.  The first series episodes are in the wrong order from broadcast for a start, and the second series episodes (in Region 2 anyway) often run longer than the original broadcast slot (one episode is about 42 minutes long - it went out in a 30 minute slot).

I always presume including the longer edits it often intentional, it happens on a fair few DVD releases, I know several episodes of Bottom have longer edits, and the Sickness and Wealth episode of series 6 of OFAH as well (that one's also missing music and crowd noise dubbed into the Nags Head scenes, so they sound strangely quiet).

I know Dirty Feed did a comparison of the extended DVD versions of The Thin Blue Line and the broadcast versions, which were on the iPlayer at the time (sadly gone now)- now we instead have to put up with Gold showing awful cropped to 16:9 versions, that are also quite ridiculously flagged as HD (when the only proper HD is the recreated end credits, the rest isfairly obviously all cropped and upscaled SD and looks aterrible).

I know those GMTV2/Pop airings of Sonic were the first time the "sonic says" segments at the end were seen in the UK, they were always cut out on Channel 4, TCC and the VHS releases (probably for the better).

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - itvblocks - 15-10-2023

Technical fault just now going into the France v South Africa game on ITV.

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Nobby - 15-10-2023

This seemed to be different depending on which ITV1 region you were watching in. Different still on STV, different again on STV Player.

https://youtu.be/9nUvK8VXVaA?si=-s1puG1zDu_5CP1K 

https://youtu.be/eSNklQWTRg4?si=kBTXBA-c-f5pq4rH 

RE: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Bennyboy84 - 16-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 08:54 PM)Nobby Wrote:  This seemed to be different depending on which ITV1 region you were watching in. Different still on STV, different again on STV Player.
Wow something really fell over there, bit surprised that they just used a still itv1 slide (and a silent one at that) instead of a breakdown slide and those are 2 testcard types that I’ve never seen before. Also I half expected to see an STV slide but nope they just used the itv1 slide.