Pres Café
TV Mistakes/Breakdowns - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Mistakes/Breakdowns (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Clean Feed - 24-08-2022

(24-08-2022, 09:13 PM)robertclark125 Wrote:  The announcer was just about to speak when the music for Question Time began, suggesting the play button was pressed too early.

Question Time, if played in from tape, would've been cued with a 10 second lead...as was generally the norm back then. It wouldn't have been cued from the opening frames of the programme.

So, not quite understanding why the announcer seemed completely unaware, until a fraction of a second before the programme appeared on air. 

Or, possibly, she thought she had enough time for a generic "This is BBC 1" announcement.

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Clean Feed - 25-08-2022

There was a breakdown on the BBC Scotland channel shortly after 9.25pm tonight, disrupting live coverage of Hearts v FC Zurich.

The breakdown lasted over 10 minutes.  Prior to the appearance of the breakdown slide, there was a few minutes or so of largely frozen picture/sound, with brief flashes of black screen.  Curiously, during the short periods of black, the channel DOG also disappeared - which suggests possible interjection in playout.

The breakdown slide was accompanied by birdsong.  Not sure why they didn't have audio from BBC Radio Scotland as a backup.

Just prior to returning to the live football, there were more brief flashes of black, interrupting the breakdown caption.

The periods of black flashes also caused iPlayer to abandon the live stream of the channel - almost as if iPlayer thought the live feed of the channel had been lost.

The presenter later apologised for the "satellite issue".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIsd65vDY_8 

And a bonus blooper...

https://twitter.com/cleanfeed_ttvr/status/1562925092786655233 

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - robertclark125 - 28-08-2022

An unusual one from Tyne Tees in 1987. In the video, you'll see a slide advert for the 1987 Newcastle Summer Exhibition. But, no voiceover. I thought, having seen these on Tyne Tees, that the voiceover was recorded with the slide, like a normal advert. At the end of the video, same slide, but with voiceover! What happened there was no voiceover first time?

https://youtu.be/L3UkXG9ioEQ?t=369 

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - procrastination - 29-08-2022

Well, this looks like the right thread. I don't have video of this but I wanted to mention a breakdown on ITV I saw when I was little, back in the mid-90s.

I was watching an episode of Coronation Street. The episode was playing as normal when suddenly the episode started rewinding like a video tape, and it rewound all the way back to the VT clock (that might've been the first time I saw one, actually). Then the screen went black and then a static shot of a street from Coronation Street appeared on screen with the words "Coronation Street", and I remember the text wasn't written in the same font as it was on the show.

Has anyone seen something like that?

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Neil Jones - 29-08-2022

(24-08-2022, 09:19 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  
(24-08-2022, 09:13 PM)robertclark125 Wrote:  The announcer was just about to speak when the music for Question Time began, suggesting the play button was pressed too early.

Question Time, if played in from tape, would've been cued with a 10 second lead...as was generally the norm back then. It wouldn't have been cued from the opening frames of the programme.

So, not quite understanding why the announcer seemed completely unaware, until a fraction of a second before the programme appeared on air. 

Or, possibly, she thought she had enough time for a generic "This is BBC 1" announcement.

I'm pretty sure these days Question Time is one of those "late turnaround" shows where it gets played in as an outside source from wherever they did the recording from that week, as the turnaround time is too short to get it as a file on a server for "normal" playout.

Not sure what the arrangement was in 1989 but as the show has always been a rapid turnaround due to its topical nature, it probably hasn't changed in this regard. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is if it was the case (and QT came from an outside source) then I presume somebody somewhere would have said play QT out at 22:00:25 (or whatever, as QT at that time went out at 10pm) and somebody else put the slide in for Cagney & Lacey into the schedule not noticing it would crash into QT. If they hadn't inserted that the announcement would have fitted perfectly.

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Steve in Pudsey - 29-08-2022

I know for a long time it was recorded down the line at Millbank and played out from there. I suspect in the late 80s it was a similar arrangement but with TV Centre VT. That would explain the lack of cue dots which would have been in use for a remote playout back then but not required for TV Centre VT as pres had remote control of the VT machine.

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Clean Feed - 29-08-2022

A minor blip here but a nice insight into one aspect of the continuity announcer's role on BBC One/Two pre-June 1995.

Back then, the network announcer would often put slides and the channel ident/clock to air, via a dedicated desk in the continuity suite (they also cued the programmes outside of peak hours).

Network control looked after trails and programmes and put the continuity desk to air when the announcer had something to say.

When programme trails were running, the announcer would put up an appropriate programme slide on their desk, just in case the trail failed - Network Control could then quickly cut to the continuity desk output and let the announcer take over.

Right at the start of this clip, we see a trail for a film come to an end. The announcer has forgotten to put the clock up on the desk (to introduce the news). Instead, when the con desk is put to air by network control, we see a back-up slide for the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PArczz1C3Sk 

Video: Neil Miles.

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - robertclark125 - 30-08-2022

Not sure if it's a technical hitch on the Watford v Middlesbrough game, on Sky Sports Football, but the score bar is larger than normal for an EFL game, and has no clock, despite going out live.

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Steve in Pudsey - 31-08-2022

(29-08-2022, 08:55 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  A minor blip here but a nice insight into one aspect of the continuity announcer's role on BBC One/Two pre-June 1995.

Back then, the network announcer would often put slides and the channel ident/clock to air, via a dedicated desk in the continuity suite (they also cued the programmes outside of peak hours).

Network control looked after trails and programmes and put the continuity desk to air when the announcer had something to say.

When programme trails were running, the announcer would put up an appropriate programme slide on their desk, just in case the trail failed - Network Control could then quickly cut to the continuity desk output and let the announcer take over.

Right at the start of this clip, we see a trail for a film come to an end. The announcer has forgotten to put the clock up on the desk (to introduce the news). Instead, when the con desk is put to air by network control, we see a back-up slide for the film.

I'm sure I've seen an example of a trail falling off air and the announcer doing something over a slide. I want to say something to do with show jumping or maybe the Radio Times trail.

I guess having the slides on hand was convenient for the timings, a planned 30 second trail can become a 10 second slide to get things back on time.

RE: Mistakes/Breakdowns - Clean Feed - 31-08-2022

(31-08-2022, 05:50 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I'm sure I've seen an example of a trail falling off air and the announcer doing something over a slide. I want to say something to do with show jumping or maybe the Radio Times trail.

I guess having the slides on hand was convenient for the timings, a planned 30 second trail can become a 10 second slide to get things back on time.

Yes - it was a trail for Show Jumping 89 magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv1aJ9udOz4 

Clip: VintageLynx.