Pres Café
BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present (/showthread.php?tid=2)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - ScottishTVGuy - 28-03-2023

There was no ident going into The One Show last night on BBC One Scotland. Went from promo straight into opening titles.

These mistakes are becoming very common on BBC One Scotland… standards slipping?

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - Andrew - 30-03-2023

There was a gap of animating BBC blocks ahead of the Ten on BBC One North tonight

Presumably BBC One Everywhere Else had the promo for Question Time at that point

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - IanJRedman - 31-03-2023

(30-03-2023, 10:44 PM)Andrew Wrote:  There was a gap of animating BBC blocks ahead of the Ten on BBC One North tonight

Presumably BBC One Everywhere Else had the promo for Question Time at that point

Yes, we did, and that isn't the first time this has been reported on BBC One in the North... A problem getting the trail into Salford?

Incidentally, the trail had a #bbcqt DOG in the corner, much like the main show (but positioned differently) and the iPlayer endboard was the obsolete 'plain text' style with no icon (again)...

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - Steve in Pudsey - 31-03-2023

Surely Salford would have the dirty feed available for such a scenario?

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - AaronLancs - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 09:16 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Surely Salford would have the dirty feed available for such a scenario?

Again, sorry to ask and be the one who constantly asks questions. For the uninitiated what is a "dirty feed"? As I said, sorry to be a pain.

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - Larry the Loafer - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 02:13 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  
(31-03-2023, 09:16 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Surely Salford would have the dirty feed available for such a scenario?

Again, sorry to ask and be the one who constantly asks questions. For the uninitiated what is a "dirty feed"? As I said, sorry to be a pain.

I think a dirty feed is piggybacking off the feed that's going straight to air, where you have to work around existing presentation and CAs in the hope you'll get a clean transition to the programme you're going to show. I'm sure someone with more expertise than myself will explain it better.

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - scottishtv - 31-03-2023

(28-03-2023, 12:18 PM)ScottishTVGuy Wrote:  There was no ident going into The One Show last night on BBC One Scotland. Went from promo straight into opening titles.

These mistakes are becoming very common on BBC One Scotland… standards slipping?

Reporting Scotland was largely an outside broadcast from Holyrood on Monday night.  I saw this junction, and it looked to me like Reporting Scotland had overrun slightly, but dropping the two promos after the programme would've left too much time for even an extended ident and announcement.  So, they kept the promos and dropped the ident and crossfaded into the One Show titles just starting. 

I think it was an understandable one-off, and actually thought it looked quite neat!

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/scottishtv/230327_bbc_one_scotland_1900_junction.mp4 
(Sorry for the poor quality sound)

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - interestednovice - 31-03-2023

(31-03-2023, 03:14 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  
(31-03-2023, 02:13 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Again, sorry to ask and be the one who constantly asks questions. For the uninitiated what is a "dirty feed"? As I said, sorry to be a pain.

I think a dirty feed is piggybacking off the feed that's going straight to air, where you have to work around existing presentation and CAs in the hope you'll get a clean transition to the programme you're going to show. I'm sure someone with more expertise than myself will explain it better.

(31-03-2023, 03:14 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  
(31-03-2023, 02:13 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Again, sorry to ask and be the one who constantly asks questions. For the uninitiated what is a "dirty feed"? As I said, sorry to be a pain.

[color=#111111]The thing is Salford is not set up as a region  - which simply “opts out” of the network feed from London. Instead, Salford is part of the BBC’s disaster recovery scenario - so it is actually a second playout which runs separately and in parallel to the “network” London feed. Therefore, it is more akin to a second network feed, and is set up that way on purpose in case London has issues and has to cut to Salford’s feed.[/color]

[color=#111111]Due to this, it will not be routine to “put the London feed” on air, although perhaps they should regularly do it for this Question Time live preview![/color]

[color=#111111]It requires some extra thinking, since BBC One North has not been created as a new service but as a way of making better use of existing DR infrastructure.[/color]

[color=#111111]I believe that’s a simple explanation of what is going on, anyway. Someone who works at the BBC may understand in more detail.[/color]

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - denton - 02-04-2023

(31-03-2023, 05:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  
(31-03-2023, 03:14 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I think a dirty feed is piggybacking off the feed that's going straight to air, where you have to work around existing presentation and CAs in the hope you'll get a clean transition to the programme you're going to show. I'm sure someone with more expertise than myself will explain it better.

(31-03-2023, 03:14 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I think a dirty feed is piggybacking off the feed that's going straight to air, where you have to work around existing presentation and CAs in the hope you'll get a clean transition to the programme you're going to show. I'm sure someone with more expertise than myself will explain it better.
The thing is Salford is not set up as a region  - which simply “opts out” of the network feed from London. Instead, Salford is part of the BBC’s disaster recovery scenario - so it is actually a second playout which runs separately and in parallel to the “network” London feed. Therefore, it is more akin to a second network feed, and is set up that way on purpose in case London has issues and has to cut to Salford’s feed.

Due to this, it will not be routine to “put the London feed” on air, although perhaps they should regularly do it for this Question Time live preview!

It requires some extra thinking, since BBC One North has not been created as a new service but as a way of making better use of existing DR infrastructure.

I believe that’s a simple explanation of what is going on, anyway. Someone who works at the BBC may understand in more detail.
Network BBC One plays out from London with the exact same schedule also running simultaneously and in tandem from the DR facility in Salford. Whichever site is on air is called the Leader, with the other called the Follower. The director controlling the Leader (and therefore the Follower) can be in either London or Salford... as can the live announcer. Or at least that's my understanding of how the Leader/ Follower arrangement works.

BBC One North is different from the DR, though also based in Salford. In practice it works a bit like the Nations' playout, taking the network programmes from the programmes only Clean Feed. That Clean Feed occasionally also contains "on the day" trails such as Question Time and Match of the Day, to be on the Clean Feed they need to have been enabled in the network schedule.

A dirty feed is the entire output of a network (programmes, trails, announcements).

RE: BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present - m_in_m - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 12:58 PM)denton Wrote:  
(31-03-2023, 05:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  The thing is Salford is not set up as a region  - which simply “opts out” of the network feed from London. Instead, Salford is part of the BBC’s disaster recovery scenario - so it is actually a second playout which runs separately and in parallel to the “network” London feed. Therefore, it is more akin to a second network feed, and is set up that way on purpose in case London has issues and has to cut to Salford’s feed.

Due to this, it will not be routine to “put the London feed” on air, although perhaps they should regularly do it for this Question Time live preview!

It requires some extra thinking, since BBC One North has not been created as a new service but as a way of making better use of existing DR infrastructure.

I believe that’s a simple explanation of what is going on, anyway. Someone who works at the BBC may understand in more detail.
Network BBC One plays out from London with the exact same schedule also running simultaneously and in tandem from the DR facility in Salford. Whichever site is on air is called the Leader, with the other called the Follower. The director controlling the Leader (and therefore the Follower) can be in either London or Salford... as can the live announcer. Or at least that's my understanding of how the Leader/ Follower arrangement works.

BBC One North is different from the DR, though also based in Salford. In practice it works a bit like the Nations' playout, taking the network programmes from the programmes only Clean Feed. That Clean Feed occasionally also contains "on the day" trails such as Question Time and Match of the Day, to be on the Clean Feed they need to have been enabled in the network schedule.

A dirty feed is the entire output of a network (programmes, trails, announcements).
This is probably a stupid question but does this mean there is always a director in both London and Salford regardless of which is leading?