Pres Café
BBC Breakfast - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (/showthread.php?tid=204)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: BBC Breakfast - JamesWorldNews - 26-12-2022

Ben Boulos with BBC Breakfast today.

https://twitter.com/benmboulos/status/1607285078589329408?s=21 

RE: BBC Breakfast - matthew - 26-12-2022

He's been doing the business segments for a while, surprised took so long for him to present

RE: BBC Breakfast - Scratch_Perry - 28-12-2022

(26-12-2022, 11:24 AM)matthew Wrote:  He's been doing the business segments for a while, surprised took so long for him to present

Especially as he anchors bulletins on the News Channel.  

Expect him to do a few Sundays going forward, to give them another male presenter, along with Roger Johnson and Ben Thompson.

RE: BBC Breakfast - MLehon - 28-12-2022

Whilst Ben Boulos did an excellent job on Breakfast on Monday and Tuesday don't forget this cover came at a cost to you and me as a licence payer. At least two nights overnight in a Hotel plus Ben's travel costs from London would most likely have had to be paid out. Luxmy Gopal made a one day appearance and this too was most likely at a hotel and travel expenses cost. The cost of using London based Presenters travelling up and down to Salford for just one day given the required cost savings across the BBC generally seems excessive. I appreciate this week is a holiday time but whilst Roger Johnson has his own North West Tonight duties and he is a competent presenter, I would think that something could be done to make more use of him when required other than on a Saturday or Sunday. The likes of Rachel Burden could be more regularly used with someone covering her radio programmes when the main Presenters are unavailable for whatever reason. Annabelle Tiffin covered the News at Breakfast on a couple of mornings during this year's Olympics and I'm sure too would also be capable of presenting when relief is required. Just my view and the travel / hotel costs particularly for one day trips to Salford from London has bothered me for some time. I'm surprised a certain Newspaper group hasn't picked up the expenses issue rather than making a sensational story when a Breakfast Presenter takes a day off on annual leave!!

RE: BBC Breakfast - DTV - 28-12-2022

While the BBC should obviously endeavour to keep costs down, the reality is that these kind of expenses are virtually meaningless in financial terms. A rounding error in a spreadsheet. It's like when people complain about MP salaries in terms of overall public budgets - this is just so absurdly small fry that it isn't going to make any realistic difference in financial terms if you change it.

Also worth remembering that the train + nearby hotel costs are probably not that much greater than the chauffeur costs for more regular presenters.

RE: BBC Breakfast - MLehon - 29-12-2022

(28-12-2022, 11:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  While the BBC should obviously endeavour to keep costs down, the reality is that these kind of expenses are virtually meaningless in financial terms. A rounding error in a spreadsheet. It's like when people complain about MP salaries in terms of overall public budgets - this is just so absurdly small fry that it isn't going to make any realistic difference in financial terms if you change it.

Also worth remembering that the train + nearby hotel costs are probably not that much greater than the chauffeur costs for more regular presenters.
Appreciate yes there could the possible chauffeur costs for the more regular Breakfast presenters but the rest of the Nation have to get themselves to work on time by their own means so why should BBC staff be afforded this rather extravagant mode of travel - something started at a time which is now most likely difficult to withdraw but we now are in a very different world.  As one company promotes "Every Little Helps".

RE: BBC Breakfast - DTV - 29-12-2022

(29-12-2022, 12:04 AM)MLehon Wrote:  Appreciate yes there could the possible chauffeur costs for the more regular Breakfast presenters but the rest of the Nation have to get themselves to work on time by their own means so why should BBC staff be afforded this rather extravagant mode of travel - something started at a time which is now most likely difficult to withdraw but we now are in a very different world.  As one company promotes "Every Penny Counts".

The rest of the nation aren't appearing on television at 06:00. Typically the justification would be that Breakfast has a more limited pre-programme prep time than other bulletins and that, by allowing the presenter to be less concerned about their travel, they are able to better brief themselves on the latest news and take part in editorial meetings via phone. Also worth noting that chauffeuring is typical for 'talent' within the industry, from news presenters to panel show guests. You can argue that the BBC should be an exception, but they are already typically offering lower salaries than are offered by other broadcasters, they have to be able to offer some of the same perks as well - it's a competitive industry and the amount of money it costs is so absurdly fractional that removing it would make negligible savings while potentially disillusioning talent and impacting on output.

RE: BBC Breakfast - MLehon - 29-12-2022

(29-12-2022, 12:56 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(29-12-2022, 12:04 AM)MLehon Wrote:  Appreciate yes there could the possible chauffeur costs for the more regular Breakfast presenters but the rest of the Nation have to get themselves to work on time by their own means so why should BBC staff be afforded this rather extravagant mode of travel - something started at a time which is now most likely difficult to withdraw but we now are in a very different world.  As one company promotes "Every Penny Counts".

The rest of the nation aren't appearing on television at 06:00. Typically the justification would be that Breakfast has a more limited pre-programme prep time than other bulletins and that, by allowing the presenter to be less concerned about their travel, they are able to better brief themselves on the latest news and take part in editorial meetings via phone. Also worth noting that chauffeuring is typical for 'talent' within the industry, from news presenters to panel show guests. You can argue that the BBC should be an exception, but they are already typically offering lower salaries than are offered by other broadcasters, they have to be able to offer some of the same perks as well - it's a competitive industry and the amount of money it costs is so absurdly fractional that removing it would make negligible savings while potentially disillusioning talent and impacting on output.
Point taken regarding use of chauffeuring but my main concern particularly when services like Oxford and Cambridge were recently closed and many local radio presenters are loosing their jobs in the coming months is that the licence fee is being used to bring Presenters from London to Salford for one or two mornings.  There are two locally based female cover Presenters (Nina and Rachel) and perhaps if Roger isn't that available due to North West Tonight then a second locally based male Presenter is identified in say someone like Tony Livesey.  I'm sure environmentalists would also have a thing or two to say about all the travel to Salford from London for a purposely based Salford programme ....

RE: BBC Breakfast - Worzel - 29-12-2022

(29-12-2022, 01:26 AM)MLehon Wrote:  
(29-12-2022, 12:56 AM)DTV Wrote:  The rest of the nation aren't appearing on television at 06:00. Typically the justification would be that Breakfast has a more limited pre-programme prep time than other bulletins and that, by allowing the presenter to be less concerned about their travel, they are able to better brief themselves on the latest news and take part in editorial meetings via phone. Also worth noting that chauffeuring is typical for 'talent' within the industry, from news presenters to panel show guests. You can argue that the BBC should be an exception, but they are already typically offering lower salaries than are offered by other broadcasters, they have to be able to offer some of the same perks as well - it's a competitive industry and the amount of money it costs is so absurdly fractional that removing it would make negligible savings while potentially disillusioning talent and impacting on output.
Point taken regarding use of chauffeuring but my main concern particularly when services like Oxford and Cambridge were recently closed and many local radio presenters are loosing their jobs in the coming months is that the licence fee is being used to bring Presenters from London to Salford for one or two mornings.  There are two locally based female cover Presenters (Nina and Rachel) and perhaps if Roger isn't that available due to North West Tonight then a second locally based male Presenter is identified in say someone like Tony Livesey.   I'm sure environmentalists would also have a thing or two to say about all the travel to Salford from London for a purposely based Salford programme ....
One sports presenter I'm really surprised hasn't been used on the red sofa as cover is Olly Foster.

RE: BBC Breakfast - Newsroom - 29-12-2022

Chauffeuring is a fantastic word!

Booking a BBC car was easier than buying cigarettes back in the day, I did work experience on Breakfast News when Mayer, Witchell and the late Jill Dando ruled the beat and was ferried to and from Fulham each morning by car. All you needed then was a department code. I felt like royalty at 16 years of age sat in the back of a plush car.