Pres Café
Deal Or No Deal - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Deal Or No Deal (/showthread.php?tid=210)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Deal Or No Deal - Gary Baldy - 17-11-2023

Is it just me or do the set and graphics look awful? I saw the show being filmed and it looked fine in the studio but it looks really bad on screen.

They seem to have opted for “weird spaceship” rather than “disused warehouse” this time.

And whilst I think Stephen is a perfectly competent presenter, these are massive shoes to fill- Deal or No Deal *was* Noel Edmonds, and probably wouldn’t have got past the first series without him. It all just seems like a supermarket own-brand version rather than the real deal.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - callumwatchestelly - 17-11-2023

(17-11-2023, 07:50 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Is it just me or do the set and graphics look awful? I saw the show being filmed and it looked fine in the studio but it looks really bad on screen.

They seem to have opted for “weird spaceship” rather than “disused warehouse” this time.

And whilst I think Stephen is a perfectly competent presenter, these are massive shoes to fill- Deal or No Deal *was* Noel Edmonds, and probably wouldn’t have got past the first series without him. It all just seems like a supermarket own-brand version rather than the real deal.
I've seen people say it's looks more like a Saturday night show than a tea-time quiz, and honestly I think that's part of the problem.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - Jon - 17-11-2023

The graphics and set just seem to be inline with every almost every other gameshow out there and whilst I think part of the original appeal of DOND is the fact it didn’t look like another Millionaire clone in terms of the set design, I quite like the upgrade and it still has same overall feel as the layout and boxes are the same.

As has been stated already Mulhern is probably one of the few presenters who could bring a similar level of enthusiasm into the show as Edmonds.

Deal or No Deal is a good format but not as strong as Millionaire which basically worked everywhere and had long runs in every major market so was quite hard to mess up regardless of the presenter. So I agree the presenter who can sell it is important but I can’t think of many who’d be as right a fit as Mulhern.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - Brekkie - 17-11-2023

I think the set looks fine. Had they gone for a recreation the original it would probably of looked quite dated - indeed didn't they change the set towards the end of it's run to something that was similar but not quite as good as the original.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - JMT1985 - 17-11-2023

(17-11-2023, 09:23 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think the set looks fine.  Had they gone for a recreation the original it would probably of looked quite dated - indeed didn't they change the set towards the end of it's run to something that was similar but not quite as good as the original.

Yes they did, and some said it was part of the process of a Noel Edmonds TV show, which always signified it's decline

Noel revamped his Noel's House Party set in 1996 and ruined it for many fans, especially with the dreadful 1997 set. Ripping the heart and soul out of the set and the format all in one go. Just go to YouTube and see how different the set looked in say 1993 compared to 1997. 

He also revamped the Telly Addicts set and format for what would turn out to be it's very last series which also ruined the show

So when in 2014, they revamped the Deal or No Deal set, fans felt here we go again, he destroys the set to "refresh" the show, and ruins it in the process

I think this new set is actually not too bad. We have to wait and see what it looks and feels like in the full show on screen, before we can judge

RE: Deal Or No Deal - XIII - 17-11-2023

I wouldn't be surprised if Banijay wanted the show to be more like the international versions with the exception of having boxes rather than cases.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - RhysJR - 17-11-2023

A tour of the set by Stephen. Interesting to see/hear that the cameras and audience are all in black.

https://twitter.com/StephenMulhern/status/1725499275386245336?t=oqT_0Msq81O2istGWrWjWQ&s=19 

RE: Deal Or No Deal - JMT1985 - 17-11-2023

(17-11-2023, 06:00 PM)XIII Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if Banijay wanted the show to be more like the international versions with the exception of having boxes rather than cases.

Also many international versions have 26 cases, not the 22 we have - the US version when hosted by Howie Mandell was a classic example of how the UK got the format just right

The US version was crap - 26 models standing with cases and one player, along with his/her family/friends in a little section of the studio, and a screaming, applauding audience. 

They also had a more modern phone, and also to ruin the feel of the show, they had the silhouette of the banker in a gallery platform, wearing a modern phone headset - really just ruined the show, but suited the US attitude towards it.

The US version wasn’t really based on ours though, both went on air at a similar time. It was also primetime and weekly. Their Patrick Kielty fronted pilot for ABC and Australian version way before ours just had offers pop up on a screen or delivered in a briefcase. I agree ours has more charm than either those though, I think it was maybe the French who introduced the telephone banker.

(17-11-2023, 02:05 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So when in 2014, they revamped the Deal or No Deal set, fans felt here we go again, he destroys the set to "refresh" the show, and ruins it in the process
I’m sure Noel would have spent hours designing and building that set. In reality of course it’s unlikely he’d have had any input it looks liked the same show, design wise. 

Obviously he’d have more of an input into those more drastic set changes to Telly Addicts and House Party. But other changes to the format and people growing tired of them were the main issues.

(17-11-2023, 06:00 PM)XIII Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if Banijay wanted the show to be more like the international versions with the exception of having boxes rather than cases.
There’s still no unified Millionaire style branding. I think it’s more the case they’re not really thinking of those international versions and comparing it to similar shows on in the daytime here.

Endemol seems to have always allowed local producers to do their own thing with formats and I’m sure Banijay is no different if the new UK Big Brother is anything to go by.