Pres Café
Deal Or No Deal - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Deal Or No Deal (/showthread.php?tid=210)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Deal Or No Deal - freeview87 - 21-11-2023

(21-11-2023, 04:19 PM)Nobby Wrote:  Interesting that you mention first episode curiosity. Most shows would take that in to consideration when scheduling which order to broadcast the episodes in and make sure a 'good' episode with no oddities was shown first and any weak episodes were probably shown in the middle of the run so that people who saw the first one may stick around for more.

Alan Carr's Picture Slam had an episode where two contestants banked more money in normal gameplay than the first step of the jackpot money tree was worth. They showed it somewhere in the middle of the series.

His brother presented an episode of Jimmy Carr's I Literally Just Told You, where the contestants were especially and notably terrible at the game. They showed it as episode 2.

The only time I recall this not happening was the one week of non-socially distanced episodes of Richard Osman's House of Games which they oddly showed at the end of the series after we'd all got used to the distancing.

Anyway, IIRC, my point was that Deal or no Deal can't do this as an episodes have to be shown in production order and they were lucky that the first one was the perfect episode in that the contestant won something worth having but could have got more.

Deal or No Deal is always shown in order as they refer to the previous contestant and the new one who joins.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - JAS84 - 21-11-2023

(21-11-2023, 02:10 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  I enjoyed watching it, it felt just the same as it used to. I can understand the reduction of the top prize: unlike Millionaire, its impossible to go home with nothing in DOND, so lowering everything for the revival is probably to “test the waters” and see how things go, as there’s lots of unpredictability in how much people will win per episode. Its far easier for companies to increase the jackpot later, if the show is a success, than to decrease it once its already going. I assume that, if the show is a success and more series are commissioned, we could possibly see the jackpot increasing to higher amounts.
They could certainly bring back the original prize amounts if they do any celebrity specials (which would likely be in prime time).

RE: Deal Or No Deal - newsjunkie - 21-11-2023

Should also remember that because of inflation, the cut is even more significant.

£100,000 now would be worth £59,000 in 2005 when the show launched on C4.

In fact £250,000 then would be £422,000 now!

(Calculations from https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator )

Of course viewing figure deflation is also a thing.
Although not as significantly as I would have thought (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/dec/07/channel4.broadcasting?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other )

RE: Deal Or No Deal - Jon - 21-11-2023

The show still wasn’t at the peak of its popularity then and it had only been on for about a month. Think at its peek it was reaching 3-4 million.

But that does suggest it could justify a £250,000 jackpot for a show doing under 2 million to begin with.

Of course the competition where the prize money was pre-determined before broadcast and was later ruled be misleading as a result, would have also helped paid that. I can see a competition returning but probably one that last the whole length of a run rather than a daily winner, something they did bring back towards the end of the original version.

I also think the reduced prize money, is probably not to show up the other shows. You can’t have people regularly winning 5 figure amount at 4pm, if they’re are going to be painting someone winning a couple of grand on The Chase as a big achievement at 5pm.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - JAS84 - 21-11-2023

If they only win a couple of grand then either the entire team had bad cash builders or everyone took the low offer (yeah, not everyone getting to the final would reduce the cash too, but more often than not, if it's not a full team, the Chaser catches them). The prize money on The Chase usually is five figures, albeit divided among up to four contestants.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - Jon - 21-11-2023

(21-11-2023, 10:05 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  If they only win a couple of grand then either the entire team had bad cash builders or everyone took the low offer (yeah, not everyone getting to the final would reduce the cash too, but more often than not, if it's not a full team, the Chaser catches them). The prize money on The Chase usually is five figures, albeit divided among up to four contestants.
You don’t have to take everything literally. My point is a £250,000 jackpot would mean people were regularly winning much more significant amounts of money on that, rather than their flagship afternoon quiz.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - Brekkie - 21-11-2023

It's worth noting how big a risk that £250k jackpot was in daytime TV - and indeed five figure winnings in daytime TV too. Prior to Deal most daytime gameshow had prizes in the low thousands - with all the ITV gameshows that were moved to daytime seeing their jackpots slashed to £2-£3k, although Midday Money on This Morning and then You Say, We Pay on Richard and Judy would give away a few thousand a day to the phone in player.

Not sure what the highest jackpot on daytime TV was prior to Deal - ITV did have reality series Building the Dream which gave a house to the series winners.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - eyeTV - 21-11-2023

Apparently the average payout on Deal or No Deal in the C4 era was £14,911. So far based on 2 shows the ITV average is very close to that 😆

RE: Deal Or No Deal - lepeterrr - 22-11-2023

Deal or no Deal is a daytime show made with Primetime values. It has that warm feel whilst being high energy and upbeat.
Mulhern is the best fit for this show, he's got the same style as Edmonds which is what made the show.
Really enjoying it so far, looking forward to the rest of the run.

RE: Deal Or No Deal - tellyblues - 22-11-2023

£250k would have seemed high at the time for a daytime quiz, but for a luck based show it wasn't. The economics probably dictated it worked best as a daytime show but it would have failed in primetime because of the underwhelming premise (for viewers expecting much more) of people opening boxes, the slow pace and contestants more often or not winning negligible amounts.

Maybe times have changed and the celeb specials will do decent numbers but I think that says more about the decline in TV as a whole than DOND being a primetime show.