Pres Café
BBC Radio 1 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Radio 1 (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: BBC Radio 1 - CATV - 17-02-2024

Roman started the Capital Breakfast show in May 2017. Almost 7 years. He was 24 when he started.

I do find it a odd (and a bit desperate) move by Capital considering it's a youth station. They have some great talent already why not promote from with in. Do they not have any faith in them? Just odd. The only thing I can think of is they are moving on from been a youth station and will start being more like Hits Radio.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - PJamo - 17-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 11:35 AM)Alessi Wrote:  They can bring back whoever they want to replace Gregg when the time comes. Staying somewhere just to be Breakfast Show host in waiting isn't a sensible thing thing to do and rarely works out (Scott Mills). He will be highly paid at Capital and gain heaps of Breakfast show experience.

Who was the last Breakfast Show host appointed from 'outside' the station? Was it Zoe Ball back in the last 90s?

RE: BBC Radio 1 - leewilliams - 17-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 11:16 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  That would be great irony if Jordan had been let go for for being too old. Which, of course, he hasn't. So really the fact Jamie is *checks wikipedia* a staggering 15 months older than Jordan is just an irrelevant observation, not irony.
It’s not irrelevant at all, actually.

Radio 1’s target audience is 15-29 and yet the only person in the main daytime line-up in that age bracket is Vicky Hawkesworth. Most of the other presenters are mid-to-late 30s or even in their early-to-mid 40s which means R1 is heading for a “cringy millennials clinging on trying to sound cool with Gen Z” moment in a few years. While I have nothing against Jamie Laing per se, he’s very much in the cringe bracket.

Jordan’s departure to Capital (whose target is a bit older at 15-34) would have been an opportunity to do something different and get a younger voice on who could have started that process. If the R1 controller thinks influencers are what the station needs to drive relevance, fine - hire one in their 20s, there are plenty of them.

The odd thing is R1 already have a wide repository of young and upcoming talent - their yearly Christmas Takeover is evidence of a proactive commitment to nurturing new radio stars (https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/radio-1-announces-first-ever-tiktok-takeover-on-christmas-day ). At a time when the BBC is under even more pressure to reach underserved audiences from the widest possible group of communities, giving an aristocrat not in the age demo the second biggest show on the station is an odd move.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Brekkie - 17-02-2024

The target audience and the age range of people who appeal to that target audience are not necessarily the same thing. Indeed the one you highlight as the youngest comes across as older on the radio - I'd have thought she had a few years on Dean.

Still think it's pathetic Radio 1 have pulled him off air immediately without a chance to say farewell to tge audience given several Radio 2 shows got to finish up on air despite moving to do exactly the same slot elsewhere, which Jordan isn't.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - AverageOrangeTurnip - 17-02-2024

It looks like Sam and Danni have been drafted in on Going Home for the forthcoming week.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 17-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 06:13 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  It’s not irrelevant at all, actually.

Radio 1’s target audience is 15-29 and yet the only person in the main daytime line-up in that age bracket is Vicky Hawkesworth. Most of the other presenters are mid-to-late 30s or even in their early-to-mid 40s which means R1 is heading for a “cringy millennials clinging on trying to sound cool with Gen Z” moment in a few years. While I have nothing against Jamie Laing per se, he’s very much in the cringe bracket.

Jordan’s departure to Capital (whose target is a bit older at 15-34) would have been an opportunity to do something different and get a younger voice on who could have started that process. If the R1 controller thinks influencers are what the station needs to drive relevance, fine - hire one in their 20s, there are plenty of them.

The odd thing is R1 already have a wide repository of young and upcoming talent - their yearly Christmas Takeover is evidence of a proactive commitment to nurturing new radio stars (https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/radio-1-announces-first-ever-tiktok-takeover-on-christmas-day ). At a time when the BBC is under even more pressure to reach underserved audiences from the widest possible group of communities, giving an aristocrat not in the age demo the second biggest show on the station is an odd move.

I agree Radio 1 shouldn’t be afraid to let older talent go but only if they’re not clicking with the target demo anymore. To suggest they shouldn’t be hiring people over 29 though is insane. Chris Evans was exactly 29 when he was parachuted in to the Breakfast Show in 1995. Presumably at the expense of younger, more diverse upcoming talent who weren't egomanaic arseholes. This middle-aged pearl clutching feels disingenuous. What it translates to is ''I've got a chip on my shoulder about reality tv and influences because youth culture was better when I was young''

RE: BBC Radio 1 - CATV - 17-02-2024

Catching up with a mate tonight and she said she's more annoyed about who is replacing Jordan than about Jordan leaving. And you know I think the reaction matches that feeling. More people seem to be talking about Jamie and who will follow Greg rather than Jordan going to Capital. Steve Allen (if you believe him) says he's know for weeks where Jordan was going.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Josh - 17-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 06:13 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  The odd thing is R1 already have a wide repository of young and upcoming talent - their yearly Christmas Takeover is evidence of a proactive commitment to nurturing new radio stars (https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/radio-1-announces-first-ever-tiktok-takeover-on-christmas-day ).
From what I can see, they've done away with this formally (in previous years, the Betwixmas period was filled with new talent), being replaced with the Friday Early Breakfast monthly rotations. Not sure if 2023 was a one-off but there's capable unsung talent out there they're just not using.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Happy2001 - 17-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 11:37 PM)Josh Wrote:  From what I can see, they've done away with this formally (in previous years, the Betwixmas period was filled with new talent), being replaced with the Friday Early Breakfast monthly rotations. Not sure if 2023 was a one-off but there's capable unsung talent out there they're just not using.

Radio 1 said that they were giving it a break for 2023.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - DJ Dave - 18-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 11:43 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  Radio 1 said that they were giving it a break for 2023.

They also said they had enough in the pool, and also went for some social media stars to cover this year. I have heard now jobs in the media don't look at what skills you have (I.E Jordan North) it's how many followers you have etc Rolleyes