Pres Café
BBC Radio 1 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Radio 1 (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: BBC Radio 1 - CATV - 18-02-2024

Just reading Vick's post about Jordan I though there was an interesting line in there. It was "just please look after yourself there". First of all I think it's safe to say he going to Capital considering that's Vick's old work place. But what on earth happened at Capital for Vick to make a point of it. There clearly no love lost there. Something big happened I'll say. Anyone know? DM me.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - interestednovice - 18-02-2024

(17-02-2024, 07:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Still think it's pathetic Radio 1 have pulled him off air immediately without a chance to say farewell to the audience given several Radio 2 shows got to finish up on air despite moving to do exactly the same slot elsewhere, which Jordan isn't.

That’s true - a huge fuss was made about Ken Bruce leaving the BBC, to name just one example, when he didn’t exactly have the most popular show in the world. Frankly, it didn’t really fit the News at Ten to give his “final programme on the BBC” its own report.

(17-02-2024, 08:32 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  I agree Radio 1 shouldn’t be afraid to let older talent go but only if they’re not clicking with the target demo anymore. To suggest they shouldn’t be hiring people over 29 though is insane. Chris Evans was exactly 29 when he was parachuted in to the Breakfast Show in 1995. Presumably at the expense of younger, more diverse upcoming talent who weren't egomanaic arseholes. This middle-aged pearl clutching feels disingenuous. What it translates to is ''I've got a chip on my shoulder about reality tv and influences because youth culture was better when I was young''

I don’t think that’s fair, as some of us forumites are in the demographic and are actually commenting based on whether they think they would want to listen to particular output or not.

Generally, younger people tend not to want to listen to older people. The same also goes the other way, and older listeners are totally put off by “young” talent. So you have to tailor the presenters to the station. It’s just basic demographics.

I’m not saying never to hire anyone who is a day older than the target audience, but it’s got to be somebody who has the ability to resonate with that audience. Taken to an extreme, for the sake of making the point, it’s unlikely to be an 80 year old who reminds them of their grandad!

RE: BBC Radio 1 - sjhoward - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:15 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I’m not saying never to hire anyone who is a day older than the target audience, but it’s got to be somebody who has the ability to resonate with that audience. Taken to an extreme, for the sake of making the point, it’s unlikely to be an 80 year old who reminds them of their grandad!

Or, y'know, the late Annie Nightingale - a Radio 1 fixture until last December, at the age of 83. Wink

RE: BBC Radio 1 - interestednovice - 18-02-2024

Annie was a bit of a special case - a unique programme and also a young-at-heart appeal to listeners despite her age!

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Joe - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:15 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  That’s true - a huge fuss was made about Ken Bruce leaving the BBC, to name just one example, when he didn’t exactly have the most popular show in the world.

It was literally the most popular radio show in the UK.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Ash101 - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:15 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  That’s true - a huge fuss was made about Ken Bruce leaving the BBC, to name just one example, when he didn’t exactly have the most popular show in the world. Frankly, it didn’t really fit the News at Ten to give his “final programme on the BBC” its own report.

I cannot work out if you’re being sarcastic or not? So apologies if I’ve misread this.

But didn’t Ken Bruce literally have the biggest show on Radio 2? Which in turn is the biggest radio station in Europe.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:15 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  That’s true - a huge fuss was made about Ken Bruce leaving the BBC, to name just one example, when he didn’t exactly have the most popular show in the world. Frankly, it didn’t really fit the News at Ten to give his “final programme on the BBC” its own report.

I don’t think that’s fair, as some of us forumites are in the demographic and are actually commenting based on whether they think they would want to listen to particular output or not.

Generally, younger people tend not to want to listen to older people. The same also goes the other way, and older listeners are totally put off by “young” talent. So you have to tailor the presenters to the station. It’s just basic demographics.

I’m not saying never to hire anyone who is a day older than the target audience, but it’s got to be somebody who has the ability to resonate with that audience.

Isn't that what they're doing?

RE: BBC Radio 1 - fusionlad - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:14 AM)CATV Wrote:  Anyone know? DM me.

Really? Do you work for the Mirror?

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Brekkie - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:14 AM)CATV Wrote:  Just reading Vick's post about Jordan I though there was an interesting line in there. It was "just please look after yourself there". First of all I think it's safe to say he going to Capital considering that's Vick's old work place. But what on earth happened at Capital for Vick to make a point of it. There clearly no love lost there. Something big happened I'll say. Anyone know? DM me.

It's no secret Vick left because she played second fiddle to Roman. I think one of the biggest issues was how she was not allowed to do the show if Roman was off. Indeed on those lines I'd be surprised if should Roman quit that both Sian and Chris remain as radio can be a bit like football management where the whole team is connected to the fate of the boss.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - sparkyb28 - 18-02-2024

Radio 2 had generally taken former Radio 1 DJs as back in the day people didn’t have capital or Heart as they do now so as people aged they moved to listening to radio 2 and so some of the DJs moved. Today it’s more presenter led rather than proper DJs, so Radio2 can hire who’s on trend and then bin them for the next one. Radio 2 is still in the old school era hence the big news when someone leaves. Problem is they are running out of big name DJs to grab.