Pres Café
BBC Radio 1 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Radio 1 (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: BBC Radio 1 - steve - 18-02-2024

I don’t think Radio 1 (and, well, the BBC as a whole) handle these HR type issues well.

I seem to remember when they decided to move on Chris Moyles from R1 Breakfast they told him straight after he came off air one day and said they were announcing his departure and Nick Grimshaw replacing him in the 10.30am news. All hell then broke loose (understandably) and in the end he got to announce his departure the next day first before they announced Grimmy.

Chris was then allowed a big farewell tour / shows but the difference is he was expected to stay with R1 but in the end couldn’t agree a time slot so served out his contract off air.

What they’ve done, presumably pulling him off air and racing to replace as soon as they knew, does smack of being over-commercial and not caring re listeners. Broadcasters are professionals, they’re not going to end their show saying ‘come and join me on Capital Breakfast’.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Brekkie - 18-02-2024

I'm guessing there was no sign in Thursdays show Jordan wouldn't be back next week, but given his replacement was announced on Friday morning presumably bosses had known for a while.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - mark - 18-02-2024

To be fair, Chris Evans ended his final Radio 2 show with a plug for his new show on Virgin - so I guess it's a valid concern.

Whether the chance of a presenter mentioning a competitor is more important than giving loyal listeners some closure is a different matter though.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - iloveTV1 - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 09:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'm guessing there was no sign in Thursdays show Jordan wouldn't be back next week, but given his replacement was announced on Friday morning presumably bosses had known for a while.

They didn’t see ‘see you on Monday’ like they normally do, and in hindsight the show sounded a little more awkward than useful (Vick sounded like she was on the verge of laughter in every link, especially at the beginning), but they did reference their tune of the week for the upcoming week.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - JMT1985 - 18-02-2024

How long before we get a press release from Global saying Jordan is joining them?

Chris Stark left BBC Radio 1 to join Capital and I think they offer a lot better salary and perks than the BBC does. Also Jordan won't have to worry about having his salary published every summer by the BBC, especially if he was wanting a pay rise from the BBC.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - CATV - 18-02-2024

From wiki "On 20 November 2023, Capital changed the show name from Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp to Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp, Chris Stark and Sian Welby." If true then I guess from then is when Jordan was been lined up.

Just to point out if anyone did not know, Jordan and Roman have the same management. Handy that. They would have known before anyone else the job was coming up. They know how much he could make and they could get the deal and make sure Jordan takes the job. For the right price of course.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - JK08 - 19-02-2024

Roman has announced his departure from Capital on air, this morning. A matter of time until Jordan is announced I guess?

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Brekkie - 19-02-2024

God, what a surprise. Didn't see that one coming! Wink

https://www.capitalfm.com/news/celebrity/roman-kemp-confirms-stepping-down-capital-breakfast/ 

He finishes on Thursday 28th March (Friday is Good Friday).

RE: BBC Radio 1 - mark - 19-02-2024

Roman just said his replacement will be on the show on Wednesday, so I'm guessing that's when Jordan will be unveiled.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - JMT1985 - 19-02-2024

I did have a feeling this was coming. I have always felt he was working too much - hosting the breakfast show on weekday mornings, working on The One Show on the BBC, and I think Roman has been planning to do more on television, and so he has to quit his radio show.

He has been there for 8 years, and I do feel this is a good move for him.