Pres Café
BBC Radio 1 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Radio 1 (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: BBC Radio 1 - CATV - 19-02-2024

Having talked to someone today I think Radio 1 despite it being a bit messy and abrupt actually played a blinder on Friday. Global like to show off and make a big thing (understandably) when they poach talent. By Radio 1 doing what they did on Friday they took control of the situation and took the big surprize element away. So instead of it been a guessing game which the press would have been all over and a big shock announcement of who the new host is, it's now yeah we know it's Jordan which is a big anti-climax. Not what Global would have wanted and they will be frustrated by that.

Someone has said an embargoed press release had been sent out. This was clearly designed to catch the press attention because they wanted to make this a big PR event to create free publicity for Capital Breakfast and to show Global off. Not unusual as Bauer did this with Ken. I am fairly sure today was going to be the big day that Jordan would have announced he was leaving Radio 1. This would have been followed up with an announcement from Global straight after. Global would have tipped off the paps to get pictures of Jordan leaving Radio 1. Tomorrow's front page headline would have been the golden headline 'Radio 1 star quits for Capital Radio' next to pictures of Jordan. Making it look like a huge win. Now none of that will happen because of that swift move on Friday by Radio 1. Because the story has now been broken down into two, 'Radio 1 start quits' and 'Radio star joins Capital'. It's hardly a shock or front page news. They will still try to make this a thing that's why they are dragging the announcement out now to get the press today with Roman then Wednesday with Jordan but it won't have the same impact like the original plan would have had.

The only thing Radio 1 did wrong was choose the wrong new host. But as others say I wonder if Jamie is a buffer and is only short term. On Sunday Bruch he said something along the lines of I did a stint on Radio 1 with Matt and they asked if he would like to do this one. Which sounded to me like he was calling this a stint which means this is a temporary thing. As much as I like Vick I am unsure she is long term so out of respect for her they just said Jamie is joining because if they hadn't then it would have created this 'is Vick leaving?' trend and we would have got 'Radio 1 in trouble with loads of stars quitting' stories. Radio 1 can't stop what is unfolding but they can have some control to stop thing spiralling.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - DeMarkay - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 01:59 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I did have a feeling this was coming. I have always felt he was working too much - hosting the breakfast show on weekday mornings, working on The One Show on the BBC, and I think Roman has been planning to do more on television, and so he has to quit his radio show.

He has been there for 8 years, and I do feel this is a good move for him.

He started at Capital in 2014 doing overnights, but yes we’re all proud of him at Global. He’s a superstar.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Brekkie - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 03:55 PM)CATV Wrote:  Having talked to someone today I think Radio 1 despite it being a bit messy and abrupt actually played a blinder on Friday. Global like to show off and make a big thing (understandably) when they poach talent. By Radio 1 doing what they did on Friday they took control of the situation and took the big surprize element away. So instead of it been a guessing game which the press would have been all over and a big shock announcement of who the new host is, it's now yeah we know it's Jordan which is a big anti-climax. Not what Global would have wanted and they will be frustrated by that.

Someone has said an embargoed press release had been sent out. This was clearly designed to catch the press attention because they wanted to make this a big PR event to create free publicity for Capital Breakfast and to show Global off. Not unusual as Bauer did this with Ken. I am fairly sure today was going to be the big day that Jordan would have announced he was leaving Radio 1. This would have been followed up with an announcement from Global straight after. Global would have tipped off the paps to get pictures of Jordan leaving Radio 1. Tomorrow's front page headline would have been the golden headline 'Radio 1 star quits for Capital Radio' next to pictures of Jordan. Making it look like a huge win. Now none of that will happen because of that swift move on Friday by Radio 1. Because the story has now been broken down into two, 'Radio 1 start quits' and 'Radio star joins Capital'. It's hardly a shock or front page news. They will still try to make this a thing that's why they are dragging the announcement out now to get the press today with Roman then Wednesday with Jordan but it won't have the same impact like the original plan would have had.

The only thing Radio 1 did wrong was choose the wrong new host. But as others say I wonder if Jamie is a buffer and is only short term. On Sunday Bruch he said something along the lines of I did a stint on Radio 1 with Matt and they asked if he would like to do this one. Which sounded to me like he was calling this a stint which means this is a temporary thing. As much as I like Vick I am unsure she is long term so out of respect for her they just said Jamie is joining because if they hadn't then it would have created this 'is Vick leaving?' trend and we would have got 'Radio 1 in trouble with loads of stars quitting' stories. Radio 1 can't stop what is unfolding but they can have some control to stop thing spiralling.

To me that sounds pretty pathetic from Radio 1 and still no excuse not to let him on air this week, even if the announcement was off air on Friday.

(19-02-2024, 04:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  To me that sounds pretty pathetic from Radio 1 and still no excuse not to let him on air this week, even if the announcement was off air on Friday.

If they did it would be a PR dream for Capital. They played it safe to protect Radio 1. Good for them. Funny how no one has a problem when commercial radio does it. In fact they can be more brutal.

Jordan had a choice and he made a choice. That's fine no problem. But you can't expect the station that helped build you up, give you opportunities, let you take time off to go on big shows to grow your profile and put you on the path to take on the biggest youth breakfast show (Radio 1 Breakfast) in the land that you end up dumping to let you leave how you want. That's like me having a job at M&S and then getting a new job at LIDI. Then wondering why M&S are pissed and not giving me a big party, champagne and flowers with a big goodbye like I expected them to. Are you mad. Jordan been in radio long enough to know how it works. If he expected to get to say goodbye on air after everything he chosen to do then that's pretty arrogant in my view. I know it's unfair to the listener but at the end of the day it was Jordan's choice. The fact Radio 1 reacted they way they did seems to me dirty play by Jordan and his management has gone on. That's how it look at the moment anyway.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Keith - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 04:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  To me that sounds pretty pathetic from Radio 1 and still no excuse not to let him on air this week, even if the announcement was off air on Friday.
I dare say the BBC also got wind that Jordan was due to appear on Capital's breakfast programme this Wednesday, especially if an embargoed press release had been sent out.

Much easier for the BBC to take him off air at the end of his presenting week. That way it avoids the awkwardness of him appearing on a rival station at breakfast being announced as their presenter, whilst then turning up in the afternoon to present his normal Radio 1 show. That show would then either have had an elephant in the room with no mention of him joining a rival, or lots of mentions and free publicity for Capital.

I imagine the BBC decided it was better to take him off-air now, than potentially have to do it after in the coming week(s) if there were too many mentions / free publicity for Capital Radio. The BBC would then get another wave of negative headlines in the press and with listeners, rather than just one lot.

I also want to say how much Roman has grown during his time at Capital. He actually in my view out grown Capital so I understand why he is going. Siân has out grown Capital to. I was sure she would have got a ITV daytime gig. Roman will sadly by some always be told he only there because of his dad but actually if you give him a chance he proved himself to be a great broadcaster. I can't see this being his last time on radio.

On a side note to admins I think this thread should be split with all the post's about Jordan leaving moving to a new thread 'Jordan leaves Radio 1' and moved to Program Pres section as it's really not about Channel Pres. Just a thought.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - eyeTV - 19-02-2024

I very much doubt that if Jordan was still on air that he would have been appearing on Capital on Wednesday.

It's a shame the way it played out because it was really Roman's announcement to make. The story firstly became about Jordan rather than Roman.

Unfortunate how these things turn out sometimes in the media.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - JMT1985 - 19-02-2024

I think Jordan will make a great Capital Breakfast host - he has the energy needed for that type of show.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - DeMarkay - 19-02-2024

If I were the Head of Radio 1, I would take the following steps:

- Accept Jordan's decision to leave the station and join Capital.
- Allow him to finish his run with Vick, concluding it at his discretion.
- Permit him to appear on Capital on Wednesday without mentioning Radio 1.
- Let him continue his Wednesday show with Vick without explicitly mentioning Capital, but incorporating a light-hearted approach to discussing the news.
- Carry on with business as usual.
- Address the existing BBC and Global rivalry, expressing frustration with the premature announcement of the news for both Roman and Jordan. Roman should have had the opportunity to announce his departure, and Jordan should have been given the time to inform his listeners about the situation shortly after.

By acknowledging the departure from Radio 1 for other projects and allowing the broadcasters to control the narrative, it would mitigate unnecessary complications and provide both Roman and Jordan the chance to communicate their decisions appropriately.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Stockland Hillman - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 05:46 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I very much doubt that if Jordan was still on air that he would have been appearing on Capital on Wednesday.

It's a shame the way it played out because it was really Roman's announcement to make. The story firstly became about Jordan rather than Roman.

Unfortunate how these things turn out sometimes in the media.

Yes, I'm sure the UK's largest and most media savvy broadcast group are gutted that the announcement from a soon to be irrelevant to them presenter has been overshadowed by the news of their new (potential) presenter who is very relevant to them.

Regardless of goodwill to Roman from Global, the business logic of this makes perfect sense.

You'd have to be incredibly naive to belive this is the 'medias' fault for reporting rather than this being a deliberate PR strategy from Global.

Sometimes - nearly always TBH - the media spin and manipulation in these announcements shouldn't be taken at face value