Pres Café
BBC Radio 1 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Radio 1 (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: BBC Radio 1 - all new phil - 16-02-2024

I don’t like criticising people, but Jamie Laing really is absolutely terrible on the radio. And on tv.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - PATV Scunthorpe - 16-02-2024

All seems quite sudden, having only two weeks left on Drive.

I never really imagined Jordan would leave Radio 1, considering how highly he's spoken of having the opportunity to work there, plus my feeling he would be the eventual choice to replace Greg on Breakfast whenever he decided to step away, though considering the rumours elsewhere, it seems possible he may be off to replace Roman Kemp instead.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - iloveTV1 - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 12:05 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  All seems quite sudden, having only two weeks left on Drive.

I never really imagined Jordan would leave Radio 1, considering how highly he's spoken of having the opportunity to work there, plus my feeling he would be the eventual choice to replace Greg on Breakfast whenever he decided to step away, though considering the rumours elsewhere, it seems possible he may be off to replace Roman Kemp instead.

Well obviously I expected him to leave at some point but not now or for a good few years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is it from him, given the statement from R1 seems to be veiled in a way (‘ He has enjoyed huge support from the station and listeners, developing his talent to host multiple shows across the network.’)

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Andrew - 16-02-2024

This is a big shock, he was surely a shoe in to be the next host of Breakfast when Greg James calls it a day

It looks to me that commercial radio have come knocking with money offered that is too good to be true. Although I always thought that Jordan was a fairly modest individual who wouldn’t necessarily follow the money and probably already has more that he knows what to do with. You clearly get more freedom on BBC Radio that you would on Capital with the speed links, adverts, more music per hour, having to hit all the various timings for opt out news and travel etc.

I also agree that I don’t see what Radio 1 see in Jamie Laing

RE: BBC Radio 1 - TVfan23 - 16-02-2024

I agree with above comments, this is a big shock. I really did think he would be Greg's successor on the breakfast show. I can't see beyond him replacing Roman Kemp on Capital Breakfast so I expect that to be announced shortly.

As for his replacement, i didn't enjoy his cover stints with Matt Edmondson or Vick. He's just totally the opposite of Jordan's down to earth, relatable personality. Katie Thistleton would've been the obvious choice.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Ash101 - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 12:55 PM)Andrew Wrote:  This is a big shock, he was surely a shoe in to be the next host of Breakfast when Greg James calls it a day

It looks to me that commercial radio have come knocking with money offered that is too good to be true. Although I always thought that Jordan was a fairly modest individual who wouldn’t necessarily follow the money and probably already has more that he knows what to do with. You clearly get more freedom on BBC Radio that you would on Capital with the speed links, adverts, more music per hour, having to hit all the various timings for opt out news and travel etc.

I also agree that I don’t see what Radio 1 see in Jamie Laing

Totally agree with all of this.

You can only surmise that Jordan understood he wouldn't be replacing Greg at any point and has decided to take control of his career? Could've been Scott Mills mark 2 and ended up 'stuck' on afternoons. (Of course there is the argument about is a BBC career better to hold onto for the longevity but who knows..)

RE: BBC Radio 1 - scottishtv - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 12:55 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It looks to me that commercial radio have come knocking with money offered that is too good to be true.
Worth noting neither Jordan or Vick were on the last 2022-23 BBC list of talent salaries over £150k.

He'll be making good money from his podcast, but a bigger salary from a commercial group seems likely.

A bit of a shame really as I don't think there's really a way back to Radio 1 in a meaningful way once you leave.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Andrew - 16-02-2024

A lot of comments online are focussing on the suggestion that replacing a working class northerner who has worked his way up with a posh southerner who has been parachuted into the second biggest show isn’t a good look

RE: BBC Radio 1 - iloveTV1 - 16-02-2024

Doesn’t seem like he’ll get a goodbye show as the schedule has been updated from Monday to just say ‘going home on radio 1.’

RE: BBC Radio 1 - all new phil - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 03:10 PM)Andrew Wrote:  A lot of comments online are focussing on the suggestion that replacing a working class northerner who has worked his way up with a posh southerner who has been parachuted into the second biggest show isn’t a good look

100% this. Especially at a time when opportunities in the industry are being squeezed.