Pres Café
Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards (/showthread.php?tid=213)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Spencer - 26-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 09:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  The first version was probably made by the design company probably why the central cake isn’t as well rendered, the grey part isn’t right, the other two was the proper central cake.

I think you’re right. The flatter looking cake logo from the first version of the endcap also appears at the start of the Central version of the ITV 1989 generic ident.

https://youtu.be/2_FFkatN4ro 

I would imagine it was part of the 1989 presentation package provided by English Markell Pockett.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - JAS84 - 27-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 08:39 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I will admit I'm intrigued by that "Columbia TriStar Central Production" (which is on the end of an 1994 episode of The Upper Hand).

According to a comment on that YouTube video "Columbia TriStar Central Productions was a joint venture between Columbia TriStar Television (created by the merger of Columbia Pictures Television and TriStar Television) and Central Independent Television" and its a relatively rare endcap which apparently only appears on about three programmes, one of which is the later series of The Upper Hand.

TUH was a remake of Who's The Boss which was (by the time Central picked it up) being made by Columbia Pictures Television, though I believe its now fallen under Sony.

Re the other endcaps - definitely seen more than three, but that was more of a standard.  Depended on the source of the programme.  IIRC it was different for an imported programme (that they presented) rather than they made.

Yeah, Columbia Tristar has been owned by Sony since 1989.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Michael Kenchington - 27-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 11:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(26-01-2023, 09:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  The first version was probably made by the design company probably why the central cake isn’t as well rendered, the grey part isn’t right, the other two was the proper central cake.

I think you’re right. The flatter looking cake logo from the first version of the endcap also appears at the start of the Central version of the ITV 1989 generic ident.

I would imagine it was part of the 1989 presentation package provided by English Markell Pockett.

So i take it V2 of the 1989 Central endcap was introduced in either 1989 or 1990 which was seen on programmes including the 1991 reruns of season 2 of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends on Children's ITV, among others, where the cake logo on the V2 endcap is exactly the same as the 1988 ident except that the fourth and fifth blocks of the cake logo were coloured from light green and light blue to green and blue respectively?

Also, was V3 of the Central endcap actually introduced in 1993 or 1994 where the Central cake logo is larger and more colourful which was seen on the 1994 series of Blockbusters and the original 1994 airing of the Mr. Bean episode "Back to School Mr. Bean", among others? Am i right?

Can anybody explain about that?

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Stuart - 27-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 11:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I think you’re right. The flatter looking cake logo from the first version of the endcap also appears at the start of the Central version of the ITV 1989 generic ident.

Looking back in hindsight now at those 1989 Generic ITV idents, they were quite visionary in concept for their time - trying to merge regional identities with a national brand.

Rather classy in a away. Just before their time, really.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Spencer - 27-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 02:27 PM)Michael Kenchington Wrote:  
(26-01-2023, 11:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I think you’re right. The flatter looking cake logo from the first version of the endcap also appears at the start of the Central version of the ITV 1989 generic ident.

So i take it V2 of the 1989 Central endcap was introduced in either 1989 or 1990 which was seen on programmes including the 1991 reruns of season 2 of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends on Children's ITV, among others, where the cake logo on the V2 endcap is exactly the same as the 1988 ident except that the fourth and fifth blocks of the cake logo were coloured from light green and light blue to green and blue respectively?

Also, was V3 of the Central endcap actually introduced in 1993 or 1994 where the Central cake logo is larger and more colourful which was seen on the 1994 series of Blockbusters and the original 1994 airing of the Mr. Bean episode "Back to School Mr. Bean", among others? Am i right?

My guess is V2 came about after someone at Central decided they weren’t happy with the generic endcap they were provided with.

I think V3 must have come about at the same time as some new cake idents were introduced regionally (1993 I think, looking at YouTube examples). The resolved logo in these had the same look as this version of the endcap.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Michael Kenchington - 06-02-2023

(27-01-2023, 09:57 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(27-01-2023, 02:27 PM)Michael Kenchington Wrote:  So i take it V2 of the 1989 Central endcap was introduced in either 1989 or 1990 which was seen on programmes including the 1991 reruns of season 2 of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends on Children's ITV, among others, where the cake logo on the V2 endcap is exactly the same as the 1988 ident except that the fourth and fifth blocks of the cake logo were coloured from light green and light blue to green and blue respectively?

My guess is V2 came about after someone at Central decided they weren’t happy with the generic endcap they were provided with.

I think V3 must have come about at the same time as some new cake idents were introduced regionally (1993 I think, looking at YouTube examples). The resolved logo in these had the same look as this version of the endcap.
So i take it V2 of the Central for ITV endcap was introduced in early 1990 IIRC, am i right?

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Matt79 - 07-03-2023

Seeing the earlier post about the Tyne Tees endcap made me remember an oddity in the 1989 reruns of Supergran, before the generic ITV look. The series was first shown 2 years before and was filmed in 1986, but for the repeats they had a new Tyne Tees endcap with the 1989 date. I remember on one episode the endcap went off and for about 2 seconds the original one appeared, the familiar blue and yellow Tyne Tees logo, with the original and correct date of MCMLXXXVI. I don't understand why they wanted to repackage a 2 year old programme as "new"

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Michael Kenchington - 08-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 09:56 PM)Matt79 Wrote:  Seeing the earlier post about the Tyne Tees endcap made me remember an oddity in the 1989 reruns of Supergran, before the generic ITV look. The series was first shown 2 years before and was filmed in 1986, but for the repeats they had a new Tyne Tees endcap with the 1989 date.  I remember on one episode the endcap went off and for about 2 seconds the original one appeared, the familiar blue and yellow Tyne Tees logo, with the original and correct date of MCMLXXXVI.  I don't understand why they wanted to repackage a 2 year old programme as "new"

Which new Tyne Tees endcap with the 1989 date? Is it the Flowing Rivers one from 1988?

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - JAS84 - 08-03-2023

It must be. If it was the 1989 corporate one it couldn't have the copyright year on it.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Milkshake - 08-03-2023

(26-01-2023, 11:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  

When English Markell pocket made the 1989 package, it was a complete rebrand, I think YTV were the only one to use every single piece which was create. There was alot, however as pointed out more care was given to package overall than the individual ITV company logos.

Someone did upload the Design guide once and it was rather breath-taking how much meat there was on the bones.

At least Central took the ident even if they created 6 different version of it to give it more life.