Pres Café
Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards (/showthread.php?tid=213)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Bluecortina - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 10:49 AM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  That footage of the studios has been shown many times down the years on Tyne Tees during anniversaries and the like, the shot of the slightly odd director with the slick black hair and shades being ingrained in the memory. TT had a reputation, and attracted a lot of criticism for making documentaries that portrayed the region as grim - I guess this was an exemplar!

The director was Jim Parker.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Former Member 443 - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 02:19 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Huh, I didn't know the original Tyne Tees logo ever appeared in colour. Didn't they introduce the stacked TTTV logo as soon as colour launched?

No, the TTTV was introduced in around September of 1971,over a year after they went colour.

Before this they were using the 1968 style logo with the curved text and "Colour Production" below the logo, superimposed in yellow over the programme.

I have no idea when the version without text came in but it looks to have been used in parallel with the earlier one.

They were a bit unusual in using a chime version of the "Blaydon Races" tune, both before and after the logo change, over a static ident, only retiring this in around 1974. This was used only in pres, the ident being silent before programmes.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Milkshake - 21-03-2023

Quote:No, the TTTV was introduced in around September of 1971,over a year after they went colour.

Before this they were using the 1968 style logo with the curved text and "Colour Production" below the logo, superimposed in yellow over the programme.

Is that the one that used chimes?

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Former Member 443 - 21-03-2023

On the same subject, sticky tape and rust has just put up a complete episode of TT's 1979 show "Quest of Eagles" on YT. This went out after the strike, but TT were still using the static frontcap into what was (for them at the time) a pretty high-profile drama series. I find it strange that they would not re-edit this new show to include the confident new look for the 1980s - and it leads me to think that perhaps the "1979" ident didn't debut until early 1980?

(21-03-2023, 07:35 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  
Quote:No, the TTTV was introduced in around September of 1971,over a year after they went colour.

Is that the one that used chimes?

Yeah I think the chime came in around 1968. This is second hand information though!

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - nionlogos18 - 21-03-2023

Today's episode of Peak Practice on Drama had something interesting.

So on 1995 episodes of Bullseye last seen on Challenge, a rare variant of the Carlton UK Productions logo appears where the logo is animated and transitions into the Central logo (which isn't seen on other shows). Well, today's episode of Peak Practice had the animated Carlton UK variant, however the transition seen on Bullseye was not there and instead cut straight to the Central logo.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - James2001 - 21-03-2023

I remember another show that also had the animated version and transition from the time... was some sort of comedy show though sadly I can't remember the name.

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Neil Jones - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 10:44 PM)nionlogos18 Wrote:  Today's episode of Peak Practice on Drama had something interesting.

So on 1995 episodes of Bullseye last seen on Challenge, a rare variant of the Carlton UK Productions logo appears where the logo is animated and transitions into the Central logo (which isn't seen on other shows). Well, today's episode of Peak Practice had the animated Carlton UK variant, however the transition seen on Bullseye was not there and instead cut straight to the Central logo.

The Bullseye thing of which you mention is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63FWeuKGl-c 

-https://avid.miraheze.org/wiki/Carlton_Productions seems to suggest there's a few variations on that endcap, but the one used on Bullseye (and Peak Practice) is (these days at least) almost certainly a Bully exclusive, though a few episodes of Cadfael may have it too (that was released on DVD in the late 2000's, but don't believe its airing anywhere at the moment)

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Michael Kenchington - 22-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 11:23 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 10:44 PM)nionlogos18 Wrote:  Today's episode of Peak Practice on Drama had something interesting.

-https://avid.miraheze.org/wiki/Carlton_Productions seems to suggest there's a few variations on that endcap, but the one used on Bullseye (and Peak Practice) is (these days at least) almost certainly a Bully exclusive, though a few episodes of Cadfael may have it too (that was released on DVD in the late 2000's, but don't believe its airing anywhere at the moment)

Has that 1995 Central endcap which is on the same grey marble background as the Carlton one also actually appeared on the Mr. Bean episodes called "Tee Off, Mr. Bean" and "Goodnight Mr. Bean", respectively IIRC?

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - Neil Jones - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 02:43 AM)Michael Kenchington Wrote:  Has that 1995 Central endcap which is on the same grey marble background as the Carlton one also actually appeared on the Mr. Bean episodes called "Tee Off, Mr. Bean" and "Goodnight Mr. Bean", respectively IIRC?

It may have done on transmission (as maybe a "Central Presentation" for post 1993 episodes) but Mr Bean was an indie production (Tiger Aspect Productions) and they went through Thames to get the show on the network before 1993, and Central afterwards, as that was the only way to do it at at the time for Indies as far as ITV was concerned. This only changed I think in 1998.

The DVD release (the "Bean's Brilliant Boxset" anyway) just has a Tiger Aspect Productions endcap for the episodes, and with the appropriate year of production. the original home video releases (the red, blue, green, purple and yellow ones) don't have endcaps I believe as they were probably added later (and of course the better known titles were retro added to the pilot and IIRC the second episode)

RE: Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards - nionlogos18 - 22-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 11:23 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  

I have Cadfael on DVD and all episodes I checked have no endcaps whatsoever. Drama back when they aired Cadfael didn’t have the Carlton UK Productions endcap on any episodes, just the in credit notice.

However when ITV4 aired the show a few months ago, they used the widescreen remasters, with some episodes even having the endcaps remastered to widescreen. The ITV4 airings were interesting with the endcaps, with one episode having the 2004 Granada logo with no byline (e.g. International, America) underneath. But back to my point, the ITV4 airings were interesting with the endcaps, with the Carlton UK Productions being still, and crossfading to the Central endcap, with the Central endcap fading in ala the animated endcap. Most other shows just cut to a still Central endcap, so this is yet another interesting variant of this combo I didn’t think too much of until now.