Pres Café
GOLD is 30 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GOLD is 30 (/showthread.php?tid=219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: GOLD is 30 - Alx321 - 03-11-2022

The trouble I find with Gold is that it relies on the same shows. It could also really improve its post 9pm offering like for example they have Are You being Served on at 10pm which is a pre-watershed program. As well they have Live at the Apollo which isn't even a sitcom, it should really stick to Dave and Comedy Central. There are tons of post 9pm comedies that could be put there and I know rights and ratings are an issue, but they could at least try harder.

RE: GOLD is 30 - Milkshake - 03-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 03:28 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  The trouble I find with Gold is that it relies on the same shows. It could also really improve its post 9pm offering like for example they have Are You being Served on at 10pm which is a pre-watershed program. As well they have Live at the Apollo which isn't even a sitcom, it should really stick to Dave and Comedy Central.  There are tons of post 9pm comedies that could be put there and I know rights and ratings are an issue, but they could at least try harder.

If you want to look outside the box try 7am at the weekends with Desmonds and  The Forster.

RE: GOLD is 30 - Humphrey Hacker - 03-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 02:26 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  The OFAH repeats are one thing. What I really don't approve of is the habit of repeating the same episode of a particular show mere hours later. I can't say for sure if they still do it, but very recently I was watching an episode of Keeping Up Appearances in the afternoon, only to notice the same episode scheduled for around 6pm.

As for the dreaded G.O.L.D. days, I think that was a symptom of the incredible success of Dave, and UKTV became overly keen to give the same treatment to the rest of the channels. I'd argue Gold, at least now, is probably the only successful post-Dave rebrand. W still doesn't seem to have a clue what it's doing, their Drama channel is no stranger to showing comedy, Alibi shows a lot of what Drama should be showing, and the absence of Eden HD on Sky makes me forget it even exists. Blighty, Good Food, Really and Home speak for themselves.

I'm conflicted as to whether having the UKTV prefix back is a good idea or not. Having the logo flash up every now and again feels undignified when none of their channels feel like they are related to each other. Then again, maybe it's just my nostalgia talking and missing hearing people refer to UK Gold.

To me the original UK GOLD as the best as it had such a strong mix. The fragmentation has not worked out for the best.

RE: GOLD is 30 - JAS84 - 04-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 02:26 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  As for the dreaded G.O.L.D. days, I think that was a symptom of the incredible success of Dave, and UKTV became overly keen to give the same treatment to the rest of the channels. I'd argue Gold, at least now, is probably the only successful post-Dave rebrand. W still doesn't seem to have a clue what it's doing, their Drama channel is no stranger to showing comedy, Alibi shows a lot of what Drama should be showing, and the absence of Eden HD on Sky makes me forget it even exists. Blighty, Good Food, Really and Home speak for themselves.
Yeah, Blighty was definitely a flop, wasn't that replaced by Drama? Good Food, Really and Home were handed over to Discovery when they sold their half of UKTV to BBC Studios, Home has since been renamed HGTV, so they clearly didn't think that brand was strong enough (unlike Really). And Good Food no longer exists either, having merged with Food Network.

You forgot about Yesterday.

RE: GOLD is 30 - Humphrey Hacker - 04-11-2022

There was also briefly UK Bright Ideas.

RE: GOLD is 30 - James2001 - 05-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 03:28 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  The trouble I find with Gold is that it relies on the same shows. It could also really improve its post 9pm offering like for example they have Are You being Served on at 10pm which is a pre-watershed program.

With all the talk about Mrs Slocumbe's p**sy, I'd disagree Wink

RE: GOLD is 30 - NancerInTheCafe - 05-11-2022

Maybe it's time for a restructuring of the UKTV channels?

RE: GOLD is 30 - JAS84 - 05-11-2022

(04-11-2022, 08:10 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  There was also briefly UK Bright Ideas.

Larry was talking about post-Dave rebrands, so anything with a UK in the name is further back in time and so doesn't count.

RE: GOLD is 30 - Humphrey Hacker - 05-11-2022

(05-11-2022, 05:59 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(04-11-2022, 08:10 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  There was also briefly UK Bright Ideas.

Larry was talking about post-Dave rebrands, so anything with a UK in the name is further back in time and so doesn't count.

Ah right. I still maintain however that the original iteration of UK Gold was the best because it kept the schedules varied and fresh.

RE: GOLD is 30 - Spencer - 25-05-2023

Currently watching Victoria Wood As Seen On TV on Gold, and the picture and sound quality are awful.

It looks like it’s very much lower than SD resolution, lower frame rate, and there’s horrible low audio hum in the background. It’s like something they’ve ripped off YouTube.

How does a TV channel end up with such a poor quality copy of a programme when I’ve got better on my own bookcase on a DVD? Maybe I should offer to lend it to them.