Pres Café
BBC TV Christmas 2022 Pres - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC TV Christmas 2022 Pres (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - tellyblues - 04-12-2022

(03-12-2022, 11:11 AM)SteveRW Wrote:  Almost as if they were saying "We haven't much to look at this Christmas, but as other channels have started Christmas, we'll do so too."

Well, they wouldn't be wrong.

How many of these "new" shows just happen to air at Christmas? Call The Midwife, Blankety Blank etc - all programmes where regular series have only just finished up or are starting again soon. Christmas Special? They don't feel special. More like leftovers. Mrs Brown's Boys is seen as a comedic situation the BBC can't get out of.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - AJB39 - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 11:39 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  
(03-12-2022, 11:11 AM)SteveRW Wrote:  Almost as if they were saying "We haven't much to look at this Christmas, but as other channels have started Christmas, we'll do so too."

How many of these "new" shows just happen to air at Christmas? Call The Midwife, Blankety Blank etc - all programmes where regular series have only just finished up or are starting again soon. Christmas Special? They don't feel special. More like leftovers. Mrs Brown's Boys is seen as a comedic situation the BBC can't get out of.

Christmas specials of regular shows have dominated the BBC schedules at Christmas for decades, it’s nothing new.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 11:39 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  

How many of these "new" shows just happen to air at Christmas? Call The Midwife, Blankety Blank etc - all programmes where regular series have only just finished up or are starting again soon. 
Eh? That’s how it’s always been. The Royal Family wrapped up just weeks before their first 2 Christmas specials. One foot in the grave and only fools would sometimes have Christmas specials followed by a regular series a week or two later. I’m not sure what you actually want? Is TV supposed to shut down between August and December?

Sometimes I get the impression some posters don’t even know what point they’re they’re trying to make, they just want to complain about something. Anything.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - tellyblues - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 01:16 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Sometimes I get the impression some posters don’t even know what point they’re they’re trying to make, they just want to complain about something. Anything.

Aye aye, captain. Talk for yourself.

Two of the examples you've given are redundant because it wasn't always the case and you've said so yourself. The 1994 OFITG Christmas Special only became that because David Renwick didn't have time to write an entire new episode so he extended what was already going to be the first episode of the fifth series.

I just don't think what the BBC have to offer is that different to what they they normally put out nor is it fresh enough compared to past Christmases. A point I've continually seen being made to defend the BBC1 Xmas Day line-up every year and it's happened again (you'll probably have seen it...) is that it contains the BBC's most popular entertainment show, gameshow, drama, sitcom and so on, so is somehow pitched right. Well, the popularity of shows is helped by the circumstances of regular episodes being shown let's just say and for each genre there isn't exactly a barrowload of choices. Again, Mrs Brown's Boys...

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - Moz - 04-12-2022

Hate cartoon idents. Full stop. Dull as ditch-water. Sorry.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - Allanbuzzy - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 05:49 PM)Moz Wrote:  Hate cartoon idents. Full stop. Dull as ditch-water. Sorry.

Hey now, don't be such a Scrooge!

I don't necessarily think cartoon idents are boring, if anything, I thought the Shaun the Sheep ones of last year were pretty charming.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - Roger Darthwell - 04-12-2022

(04-12-2022, 06:09 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  
(04-12-2022, 05:49 PM)Moz Wrote:  Hate cartoon idents. Full stop. Dull as ditch-water. Sorry.

Hey now, don't be such a Scrooge!

I don't necessarily think cartoon idents are boring, if anything, I thought the Shaun the Sheep ones of last year were pretty charming.

I completely agree, I find both set of idents very charming

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - Lynetwork - 04-12-2022

I don't generally care for the 'animated tie-in' theme of idents - in particular 2020's Zog set left me cold and while I liked last year's Shaun the Sheep set, I'd owe that more to the staging and the inclusion of the panning camera - so when I heard that this was the theme I was expecting to not like this set.

Boy was I proven wrong!

This year's package is very strong - it's almost quaint and peaceful compared to the past sets, and the 2D animation is understated in a way that feels traditional but not dated. None of the elements are screaming for your attention and it doesn't feel like it's in promotion mode; it just serves that purpose as an appealing but appropriate ident package. There's a slither of me that would have liked to see the lens incorporated in some way, but I don't think any of the idents really need it.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - Moz - 04-12-2022

They just don’t make any sense at all.

Why is some animation from just ONE programme from the Christmas schedule being used to introduce EVERY other programme.

Idents should be distinct.

If you dislike the programme they are from (and I think I probably will) then you end up hating the entire ident package.

RE: BBC TV Christmas 2022 - IanJRedman - 04-12-2022

It's slightly ironic that last year's Christmas idents included the panning camera from the 'Lens' idents, before those had actually debuted on-screen, as the refresh was delayed. Meanwhile, fast forward a year and those Lens idents are on-air, but we've now got a Christmas package where the effect is absent. Basically the exact opposite of the situation last year!