Pres Café
ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) (/showthread.php?tid=237)

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - LargelyALurker - 16-11-2022

(15-11-2022, 11:43 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  
(15-11-2022, 09:14 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  One small element of UTV branding that survived the 2020 change to ITV presentation is the logo on endboards for local trails. UTV-branded local trails have not yet materialised today. But in the grand scheme of things, even if the UTV branding disappears on local trails, how many viewers will notice/care? 

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/15618/opinion/no-sign-of-utv-branded-local-trails/ 
https://twitter.com/cleanfeed_ttvr/status/1592648671895891971 

Love all the 1s, then the UTV logo. They obviously don’t care, which is fine. It is what it is. 

Incidentally, I can’t quite make out the last word said by a comedian on that clip, but I hope it’s not what it sounds like…!

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Tony Lamezma - 16-11-2022

Another advert running today for ITVBe, still haven't seen one for 2/3 or 4.

In fairness, 3 promo's were pretty rare before the rebrand.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - thomalex - 16-11-2022

So I'm fairly mixed on the rebrand, echoing many others here. Many aspects of the presentation are very slick, love how the numbers animate for example, but the idents feel lightweight somehow and there certainly aren't enough of them.

A problem with the approach they've gone for is that while it's very easy to pigeon hole the 'digital' channels it's much harder to do this with ITV 1 which has a diverse range of content. As the big tent channel this is partly why in 2013 they rolled back to just calling it ITV with the numbered channels (and Be) having a specifically targeted audience. So how do you separate ITV 1 from the other channels when using the same location? Turns out it's quite hard and you end up with idents that look like they should be on other channels such as the train dancing one which when you watch it feels like you're on ITV 2. Channels in turn then lose their distinct identity.

The other issue here is a major channel given a a larger audience and wide range of content demands more idents, but to be true to this concept you then need to also create versions of them for every other channel. Given their audiences ITV 3 and 4 don't need loads of idents really. I think it's quite clear that at some point idents will have to be made that don't appear on every channel.

I do think there is a bold statement here however. And that is that for ITV linear channels are now a clear second in importance to ITV X which is getting the investment. Just look at the range of idents they made for the 2013 rebrand and compare it to what's just launched https://theident.gallery/itv-2013.php  . It's night and day.

ITV X is now the big tent which everything flows from. And I do wonder what that means for ITV 1 in the long run. Given how it's been treated in this rebrand it seems ITV view its future as just another channel rather than the flagship it's been until now.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - eyeTV - 16-11-2022

I think it sums things up how we've run out of things to talk about just 24 hours on.

We've seen all the idents, there isn't enough interesting surrounding pres and so that's it. Take another look when X gets fully integrated.

Replicating idents over all 5 channels is the first thing that will be dropped at some point down the line when things start to unravel.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - MorganLamia - 16-11-2022

So many posts over such as short time, wow! That took a while to catch up on.

Here are my thoughts on it all, beginning with the logo's themselves which I haven't commented about yet - As with what appears to be quite a common opinion, I think the numerals in the new logos are terrible. They're so plain and yet they manage to be so ugly too. The worst offender to me is the Be logo. Just all-round very bad.

The new idents - I love the concept. I think the execution for the most part is very good. I think they've managed to get some good customisation for each channel that feels appropriate. I saw someone else earlier in the thread mentioning about how having different colour grading for each channel would help differentiate the channels, and I agree. Adding another idea to that - having some of the set dressing in the scenes using each channel's appropriate colour would've perhaps worked well.
The idea of using ITV1's dancing train station variant going into GMB was perhaps a little jarring for a news programme, but I assume that that chose that to be a celebration of sorts for the debut of the new look.

The ECP is... Ok? The right side is fine; I like the way the number animates in, pulling the card behind it, but the minimising of the programme credits on the left is pretty ugly. Far too small. I'm not a fan of squishing aspect ratios, but I think that would be preferable to what they've chosen. So much empty space too.

(15-11-2022, 07:03 PM)LoganStuff Wrote:  [Image: vlcsnap-2022-11-15-18h00m31s955.png]

I'm not a fan of the programme menu either. Such a mixture of fonts and such huge programme titles too. It really does give that vibe of -
(15-11-2022, 07:31 PM)Pip Wrote:  This reminds me of when someone would send you a PowerPoint without embedding the fonts and your PC would substitute them with something really basic. In my opinion… this does not look good. At all.
Also, I appreciate it not having too much going on, but it does look a little plain. Adding a gradient like this or a two-tone wall like this to give it some structure would make it feel a little better? I don't think that it's super ugly, but it does feel a bit like an early draft.

Overall, I think the new look has gone pretty well. Not perfect, but I would give it a solid 7 out of 10.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - LoganStuff - 16-11-2022

With the way some people talk on here you'd think this rebrand was the birth of the Antichrist. The idents are definitely the weakest link here - absolutely a mixed bag ranging from 'pretty alright' to 'what?'. Definitely not the worst we've seen on TV though, and the surrounding pres is quite nice with the way each channel has unique animations that still tie back into the central theme.

Overall, it's quite promising but they definitely should've waited until the launch of ITVX.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - orange - 16-11-2022

It’s not the worst thing in the world, you're right - and I actually quite like some of the non-ident elements. But I think it’s always a little funny when people are surprised about people being very critical or passionate about TV pres… on a niche forum about TV presentation.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - LoganStuff - 16-11-2022

(16-11-2022, 02:59 PM)orange Wrote:  It’s not the worst thing in the world, you're right - and I actually quite like some of the non-ident elements. But I think it’s always a little funny when people are surprised about people being very critical or passionate about TV pres… on a niche forum about TV presentation.

I totally get being critical and passionate, and it's fun to see other people's wildly different opinions, I just think some take it a little too seriously and passionately.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - pad - 16-11-2022

As others have said it seems this may have been rushed out to be in place before ITVX's launch.

There are lots of little things which could be a little bit better. One thing which has been jarring me is the 111111111 animation uses a completely different '1' numeral to the logo. Why? It just seems inconsistent and lazy. I'm still not sold either on going back to ITV1 - I know why they've done it because of ITVX, but the majority of people don't - and won't - call it ITV1.

The concept is sound and hopefully they can refine it in 2023. For the cross-channel concept to work and be fresh for a decent amount of time, they need at least 10 different idents in my opinion. Hopefully they shoot some more in 2023 and implement a few improvements, including things like the colour grading differences and as one poster suggested earlier, dressing the individual channel variants with a bit more of the colour of the channel's logo.

They could do with refining some of the menus a bit as well. The sentence case serif heading doesn't quite work and probably should be used in uppercase with wider letter spacing as seen in the ITVX promo videos. Finally, I sincerely hope we see Reem phased out everywhere, be that GMB/ITV News, or the end credits used on all ITV shows.

All in all it's a good start and a solid concept that has potential to run for a long time, but it does need refinement in 2023 - more idents and tweaks to the accompanying graphics. In its current iteration and with only 5 idents, I think it'll get tired very quickly.

As rebrands go, the 2013 ITV revamp was god tier - consistent, confident, classy and literally everything updated in one fell swoop: the logos, the channels, the website, ITV News, the end credit styles. One of the best executed network revamps ever IMO.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - JLav25 - 16-11-2022

Are daytime announcements for ITV1 still pre-recorded? Watching Tipping Point and they mentioned 4 players in "All New" Tipping Point, despite it only being 3 players now. I know it's a minor difference but it annoyed me.