Pres Café
ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) (/showthread.php?tid=237)

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - JMT1985 - 20-11-2022

In reality, does any ITV region need a name anymore?

All regions now except for STV are really all called ITV 1.

Only their regional news programmes use the old franchise names now. If UTV Live changed its name to a more neutral new regional news name, then there would be no problem with dumping the name UTV.

BBC Northern Ireland in 1996 axed their "Inside Ulster" news show and renamed it Newsline, a neutral name for their regional news in that region, ITV could so a similar thing.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Blubatt - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 05:04 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  In reality, does any ITV region need a name anymore? 

Only their regional news programmes use the old franchise names now. If UTV Live changed its name to a more neutral new regional news name, then there would be no problem with dumping the name UTV.

BBC Northern Ireland in 1996 axed their "Inside Ulster" news show and renamed it Newsline, a neutral name for their regional news in that region, ITV could so a similar thing.
I would argue yes, but only in the case of the 4 nations. STV, ITV, HTV, and UTV. Northern Ireland is its own nation, as is Scotland and Wales. I argue that they should have their own, slightly more autonomous brand, because as of now, all of them are still basically getting the same thing as a viewer in, say, Yorkshire or London would get. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are culturally different from England, and so should have a more autonomous ITV 1. It can be dual branded, or branded with its own idents, but I do believe this.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Andrew - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 10:53 AM)fanoftv Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 09:11 PM)Hybrid Wrote:  The first new promo for ITV2 during a break in Shazam and I must say it works quite well, I hope somebody recorded it.

This one?
https://youtu.be/17JC1KsbBmw 
…As found on YouTube
Who is doing the voiceover on that, I think I recognise the voice from somewhere but I’m not sure where

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - all new phil - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 07:26 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  
(20-11-2022, 05:04 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  In reality, does any ITV region need a name anymore? 

I would argue yes, but only in the case of the 4 nations. STV, ITV, HTV, and UTV. Northern Ireland is its own nation, as is Scotland and Wales. I argue that they should have their own, slightly more autonomous brand, because as of now, all of them are still basically getting the same thing as a viewer in, say, Yorkshire or London would get. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are culturally different from England, and so should have a more autonomous ITV 1. It can be dual branded, or branded with its own idents, but I do believe this.

But Yorkshire is culturally different from London. Even Liverpool is culturally different from Manchester.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - J102B - 20-11-2022

I do think we need to take into consideration STV is a different company. The rest of the regional licences are ITV owned (to my knowledge).
I don't see why there can't be a regional ident. I though these were actually good (I have used Central as an example) https://youtu.be/PMHYgJBpzCk?t=4017 
For me, branding wise, I think ITV could incorporate the UTV logo to look more like an ITV brand.
If ITV ever got control of STV, would expect the same thing.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Humphrey Hacker - 20-11-2022

It's always been Calendar here but I can see the old franchise names disappearing with the possible exception of UTV and STV.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Blubatt - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 08:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(20-11-2022, 07:26 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I would argue yes, but only in the case of the 4 nations. STV, ITV, HTV, and UTV. Northern Ireland is its own nation, as is Scotland and Wales. I argue that they should have their own, slightly more autonomous brand, because as of now, all of them are still basically getting the same thing as a viewer in, say, Yorkshire or London would get. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are culturally different from England, and so should have a more autonomous ITV 1. It can be dual branded, or branded with its own idents, but I do believe this.

But Yorkshire is culturally different from London. Even Liverpool is culturally different from Manchester.

But they are still part of England. You are right in saying that, Yorkshire is different to Leeds which is different to Manchestor which is different to Liverpool, etc. Scotland, Wales, and NI are not regions though, they are constituent nations of the UK, and that is why I do think UTV branding still has a place on ITV 1 in Northern Ireland. That's the point I am trying to make here, that as a nation, Northern Ireland's ITV 1 should have dual branding, as it is not a local news region, but a country.

I'd also like to talk about this, because it bugs me. Maybe its because BBC has the blocks seamlessly move around from trailer to bumper to ident, and that has spoiled me, but these transitions look messy. Surely the logo should be uniform on each item of pres?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ51S3Gw34Y&ab_channel=LoganStuffUKTV 

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Humphrey Hacker - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 10:03 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  
(20-11-2022, 08:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  But Yorkshire is culturally different from London. Even Liverpool is culturally different from Manchester.

But they are still part of England. You are right in saying that, Yorkshire is different to Leeds which is different to Manchestor which is different to Liverpool, etc. Scotland, Wales, and NI are not regions though, they are constituent nations of the UK, and that is why I do think UTV branding still has a place on ITV 1 in Northern Ireland. That's the point I am trying to make here, that as a nation, Northern Ireland's ITV 1 should have dual branding, as it is not a local news region, but a country.

I'd also like to talk about this, because it bugs me. Maybe its because BBC has the blocks seamlessly move around from trailer to bumper to ident, and that has spoiled me, but these transitions look messy. Surely the logo should be uniform on each item of pres?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ51S3Gw34Y&ab_channel=LoganStuffUKTV 

Logically that argument could also be applied to Wales as well. There's also the issue of the Channel Islands which are crown dependencies:

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Steve in Pudsey - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 07:26 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I would argue yes, but only in the case of the 4 nations. STV, ITV, HTV, and UTV. Northern Ireland is its own nation, as is Scotland and Wales. I argue that they should have their own, slightly more autonomous brand, because as of now, all of them are still basically getting the same thing as a viewer in, say, Yorkshire or London would get. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are culturally different from England, and so should have a more autonomous ITV 1. It can be dual branded, or branded with its own idents, but I do believe this.

Wouldn't the same logic apply to the Channel Islands (which are not only different from England but not even part of the UK)?

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Andrew Wood - 20-11-2022

ITV2 doesn't have dual branding, nor ITV3 and ITV4.

Why would ITV1 need it?

It's the same channel across the ITV network - only the news is different in the regions, and there is the very occasional regional political/cultural programme (UTV Life, Central Lobby etc).

There's no need for regional or dual branding at all.