Pres Café
ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) (/showthread.php?tid=237)

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - dbl - 20-11-2022

Also the resource and manpower behind the scenes just to perform these duplications for the regional name to be added on, isn't worth it.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - DTV - 20-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 10:22 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  ITV2 doesn't have dual branding, nor ITV3 and ITV4.

Why would ITV1 need it?

It's the same channel across the ITV network - only the news is different in the regions, and there is the very occasional regional political/cultural programme (UTV Life, Central Lobby etc).

There's no need for regional or dual branding at all.

Indeed, it's really all a relic of a system that was rendered obsolete about 20 years ago and is pretty antithetical to the principles of modern branding - the core of which is pretty much 'don't weaken the masterbrand'. You can play it up occasionally for nostalgia purposes, but for day-to-day branding everything other than ITV should really have been dropped by now. Bringing back HTV would be especially counterproductive and confusing given that it would be unfamiliar to nearly everybody under about 30.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - VMPhil - 20-11-2022

First time I've seen them use the cityscape ident into the late news instead of the unbelievably inappropriate railway station dancers.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Andrew - 21-11-2022

These no adverts ad breaks during the early evening due to I’m a Celeb taking all the adverts later have been painful these last few weeks. Hopefully now ITVX and the World Cup is here they are a thing of the past.

Every ad break in the ITV Evening News this past fortnight has been “How was the dreaded school?/ What a difference a day makes/And there goes the balloons/Pop Larkin in Prison”

Next time there is a period where promos have more airings than normal they need to make more of them, for programmes that don’t normally get advertised rather than airing the same 4 or 5 multiple times per hour

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - eyeTV - 21-11-2022

Did I see one of those odd ITV Hub Drama vs Reality ads on during the World Cup highlights.

It was like within the adverts, like a paid for advertisement. Why would they still be promoting that?

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Humphrey Hacker - 21-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 10:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(20-11-2022, 10:22 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  ITV2 doesn't have dual branding, nor ITV3 and ITV4.

Why would ITV1 need it?

It's the same channel across the ITV network - only the news is different in the regions, and there is the very occasional regional political/cultural programme (UTV Life, Central Lobby etc).

There's no need for regional or dual branding at all.

Indeed, it's really all a relic of a system that was rendered obsolete about 20 years ago and is pretty antithetical to the principles of modern branding - the core of which is pretty much 'don't weaken the masterbrand'. You can play it up occasionally for nostalgia purposes, but for day-to-day branding everything other than ITV should really have been dropped by now. Bringing back HTV would be especially counterproductive and confusing given that it would be unfamiliar to nearly everybody under about 30.

Very true. Many of us have warm memories of the "old ITV" but time moves on and so must we.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - bilky asko - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 12:44 AM)Andrew Wrote:  These no adverts ad breaks during the early evening due to I’m a Celeb taking all the adverts later have been painful these last few weeks. Hopefully now ITVX and the World Cup is here they are a thing of the past.

Every ad break in the ITV Evening News this past fortnight has been “How was the dreaded school?/ What a difference a day makes/And there goes the balloons/Pop Larkin in Prison”

Next time there is a period where promos have more airings than normal they need to make more of them, for programmes that don’t normally get advertised rather than airing the same 4 or 5 multiple times per hour

ITV3 a few days ago was even better - the ITV1 Daytime promo on twice every break, sometimes with nothing in the middle.

I'm sure the best way to convince people to watch ITV1 from 6am-6pm every day is to pester them twice every 15 minutes.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - tomo359 - 21-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 10:03 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  
(20-11-2022, 08:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  But Yorkshire is culturally different from London. Even Liverpool is culturally different from Manchester.
I'd also like to talk about this, because it bugs me. Maybe its because BBC has the blocks seamlessly move around from trailer to bumper to ident, and that has spoiled me, but these transitions look messy. Surely the logo should be uniform on each item of pres?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ51S3Gw34Y&ab_channel=LoganStuffUKTV 
I'd not noticed that with the difference in logo positions and sizes before but you're right, it looks very jarring. Surely all pres could have the logo in the same position and size as it is in the idents to keep some uniformity

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Blubatt - 21-11-2022

(20-11-2022, 10:18 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(20-11-2022, 07:26 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I would argue yes, but only in the case of the 4 nations. STV, ITV, HTV, and UTV. Northern Ireland is its own nation, as is Scotland and Wales. I argue that they should have their own, slightly more autonomous brand, because as of now, all of them are still basically getting the same thing as a viewer in, say, Yorkshire or London would get. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are culturally different from England, and so should have a more autonomous ITV 1. It can be dual branded, or branded with its own idents, but I do believe this.

Wouldn't the same logic apply to the Channel Islands (which are not only different from England but not even part of UK?
Yes it would. But ITV Channel Television is more a case for giving each channel their own branding, rather than the dual branding, with the clear main brand being Channel

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Stuart - 21-11-2022

(21-11-2022, 05:07 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  Yes it would. But ITV Channel Television is more a case for giving each channel their own branding, rather than the dual branding, with the clear main brand being Channel
That doesn't make any sense. The Isle of Man isn't part of the UK either, but I've never heard of street riots there about them being branded ITV or ITV1.

I wasn't aware that ITV in the Channel Islands still had other than the generic ITV/ITV1 idents.

ITV1 is a national channel. They really abandoned regional identities within all their broadcast areas (including those outside UK territory) many years ago. They just retained the 'lip service' of regional news under the terms of their PSB licence.