Pres Café
ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) (/showthread.php?tid=237)

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - JAS84 - 05-01-2023

(02-01-2023, 06:55 PM)Moz Wrote:  You have to subscribe, but a great review of the itv rebrand here...

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_itvx_by_dixonbaxi_and_itv_creative.php 
It's paywalled now? That site used to be free. Sad

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - kianworld - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 01:00 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  It's paywalled now? That site used to be free. Sad

They do provide free subscriptions, no questions asked, to those that email them. It's mentioned at the very bottom of their paywall prompt. But even then, it's just $2 a month.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - JMT1985 - 05-01-2023

It does have a January 2006 feel to these ITV 1 idents - does anyone remember the big launch of the new look ITV 1 idents in January 2006, which were a disaster for ITV 1, and come November 2006 the original package was consigned to the dustbin, and a brand new batch of idents was introduced, and would remain for the following seven years.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Stuart - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 10:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It does have a January 2006 feel to these ITV 1 idents - does anyone remember the big launch of the new look ITV 1 idents in January 2006, which were a disaster for ITV 1, and come November 2006 the original package was consigned to the dustbin, and a brand new batch of idents was introduced, and would remain for the following seven years.
It doesn't feel that similar, as the issue here is that they are used across all channels and not correctly to reflect the forthcoming programme. In themselves, the idents/CGI effects are OK.  Just some extra ones are required and a bit of thought regarding appropriate usage.  We're certainly not looking at 'oneness' levels of incompetence here.

The January 2006 idents were just dreadful to begin with. Whoever thought they were a good idea was clearly on a prescribed substance. The ones rapidly introduced later in the year were good, which is why they lasted so long.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Spencer - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 11:14 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(05-01-2023, 10:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It does have a January 2006 feel to these ITV 1 idents - does anyone remember the big launch of the new look ITV 1 idents in January 2006, which were a disaster for ITV 1, and come November 2006 the original package was consigned to the dustbin, and a brand new batch of idents was introduced, and would remain for the following seven years.
It doesn't feel that similar, as the issue here is that they are used across all channels and not correctly to reflect the forthcoming programme. In themselves, the idents/CGI effects are OK.  Just some extra ones are required and a bit of thought regarding appropriate usage.  We're certainly not looking at 'oneness' levels of incompetence here.

The January 2006 idents were just dreadful to begin with. Whoever thought they were a good idea was clearly on a prescribed substance. The ones rapidly introduced later in the year were good, which is why they lasted so long.

I think you're right. In my view, and as a lot of people said when they launched, the idents are "fine". They're not amazing, but they're also not terrible. They're adequate. And, as you say, with a few more additions, they could work better.

I think what *is* terrible is the surrounding presentation – the trailer endboards, the ECP format, etc.. They've obviously aimed for sleek and minimal, but it just looks cheap, basic and ill-thought out.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - JAS84 - 05-01-2023

Yeah - they actually could've achieved such graphics in the 1980s! They're completely flat, and therefore, look retro.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Blubatt - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 01:27 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah - they actually could've achieved such graphics in the 1980s! They're completely flat, and therefore, look retro.

I kind of want to see someone do that now  Wink

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Spencer - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 01:27 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah - they actually could've achieved such graphics in the 1980s! They're completely flat, and therefore, look retro.

They’ve obviously aimed for sleek and minimal, which is a style I like, but there’s a fine line between that and looking cheap and half-arsed, and sadly they’ve really missed the mark in my opinion.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - DTV - 05-01-2023

(05-01-2023, 08:10 PM)Spencer Wrote:  They’ve obviously aimed for sleek and minimal, which is a style I like, but there’s a fine line between that and looking cheap and half-arsed, and sadly they’ve really missed the mark in my opinion.

Yes, the skill needed to get minimalist design right is so often underestimated. It's just not as simple as is sometimes assumed - if you are stripping things back to the basics, those basics have to actually look nice.

It's also a style that is little bit behind the times - flat design and right angles seem to be going out of fashion a bit in the last year. There's definitely a resurgence in gradients and rounded corners at the minute, much to my chagrin. At least ITV have keyed into that PowerPointy aesthetic!

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - K’s random account - 07-01-2023

ITV1 just aired their 1st beach ident, at 5PM before the chase.