Pres Café
ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) (/showthread.php?tid=237)

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - rick - 10-01-2023

ITV are still using FS Matthew on sports coverage. I agree, I never liked the look of the 1 numeral they decided for the ITV 1 logo, in fact, I don't like any of the numerals for the logos. The previous ones looks so much better.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - DTV - 10-01-2023

The serif at the top of the 1 numeral is such a hard thing to get right in sans serif type, possibly because it shouldn't really be there. Just so many examples of it coming off badly - often it is too prominent or badly angled and just ends up looking ugly. Really one of those things where, if you notice it, its gone wrong.

In my view, nobody is going to top the 1 in Koto's original version of New Johnston (which I think was used by the BBC as the basis for the 1 in news titles between 1999 and 2008). The serif there is subtle, not too big and the right angle, while also feeling like a natural extension of the main figure. I guess from a purist sans serif perspective, the original Johnston 1 with its angled top is probably the neatest solution to the issue. Though with their humanist design, not sure they'd fit alongside the grotesques that ITV have opted for.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - JAS84 - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 02:17 AM)benzj Wrote:  
(09-01-2023, 03:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  In general the concept seems to work for ITV3 much better than the other channels.  I suspect when the channels inevitably begin to go their own way ITV3 will probably be the last one standing with this set.

No different than the 2013 rebrand then, perhaps?
CITV and ITV4 also kept their original 2013 looks. CITV's still using theirs. ITV2 changed after a couple of years, ITV Be hadn't yet launched, and ITV1 changed a few years later.

ITV2 will almost certainly be first to dump it, they also didn't stick with their 2006 set for long before introducing a new 3D version of the logo. ITV3 and ITV4 kept theirs all the way through that time too, ITV1 quickly changed and CITV rebranded after a while.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - chaose - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 10:10 AM)pad Wrote:  And why commission a customised version of the font:
[Image: 1670431598-f37_itv5.png?dpr=0.5&fm=webp]

To not use it on the website? (see the dot on the 'i', and the details on other letters)
[Image: Screenshot-2023-01-10-at-09-07-00.png]
That is one of the most baffling things to me... maybe they don't want people to download the webfonts? That's the only explanation I can imagine (and it's not even a good one).

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Josh - 10-01-2023

Was that a new "ITV1 introduces" sting during the ad-break just now?

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - mdta - 11-01-2023

The custom ITV typeface, may still be undergoing changes to hinting and on-screen accommodations - but the display versions used for the on-screen graphics and press/print uses.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Lyric - 11-01-2023

(11-01-2023, 02:07 AM)mdta Wrote:  The custom ITV typeface, may still be undergoing changes to hinting and on-screen accommodations - but the display versions used for the on-screen graphics and press/print uses.

Then how do you explain the custom version of the font being used on their Jobs website?   Huh

https://www.itvjobs.com/ 

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - mdta - 11-01-2023

(11-01-2023, 03:30 AM)Lyric Wrote:  
(11-01-2023, 02:07 AM)mdta Wrote:  The custom ITV typeface, may still be undergoing changes to hinting and on-screen accommodations - but the display versions used for the on-screen graphics and press/print uses.

Then how do you explain the custom version of the font being used on their Jobs website?   Huh

https://www.itvjobs.com/ 

I could be wrong, never said I knew for sure.

It could also be that the two sites have different teams, as well as different schedules for when each site was updated.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Brekkie - 11-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 10:10 AM)pad Wrote:  One of the things I hate most about this rebrand is the sloppiness in the use of the new fonts.

Why modify the '1' numeral on the ITV1 logo and start of idents:
[Image: ITV1-2022-ID-CITYSCAPE-1-151122-1.webp]

To then use this rancid un-modified version of it in loads of other places?
[Image: ITV1-2022-BB-1-151122-1.webp]
[Image: ITV1-2022-BB-3-151122-2.webp]

That's part of the design though - the changing 1 from a fairly generic version to the bespoke logo.   I hate the emphasis on the 1 on the main channel myself - should have just kept it as ITV and animated the ITV logo itself to emphasise the overall brand.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Former Member 406 - 11-01-2023

Those who would prefer ITV's primary channel to not have a "1" at the end of its name are perfectly entitled to their opinion. But I doubt that anything they could ever possibly say to me about why they hold that opinion would constitute a logical rationale to me (so please don't bother wasting your keystokes trying to do so). I find it to be an utterly bizarre standpoint.

The BBC's main channel - for example - isn't only called "BBC" with no subsequent number or word whilst all of the others are e.g. numbered from Two upwards etc. I don't see anyone arguing a case for BBC One to drop the "One".

In the days when UKTV's channels had formulaic names, not one of them was called *just* "UKTV" with no subsequent word etc.

I could go on.