Pres Café
ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) (/showthread.php?tid=237)

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - what - 08-10-2023

On occasion, the DOG disappears and a large "Big Brother starts tonight 9pm" appears in the top right corner.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Larry the Loafer - 08-10-2023

Is there any evidence that these "always-on" promotions work? I usually avoid a show out of spite if it's being shoved down my throat. I expect from a lowly digital channel, but not ITV or Channel 4.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Stuart - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 08:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Is there any evidence that these "always-on" promotions work? I usually avoid a show out of spite if it's being shoved down my throat. I expect from a lowly digital channel, but not ITV or Channel 4.
I tend to agree, Larry.  Furthermore, by the time I get to watch things on catch-up or a recording, any individual programme promoted in one of these DOGs/Slugs has passed me by.

The same goes with the BBC's annual promotion of 'Strictly' on many live programmes. I switch over the moment they mention it. I've never watched a single programme, and avoid it as if it was an Ebola virus.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Brekkie - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 08:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Is there any evidence that these "always-on" promotions work? I usually avoid a show out of spite if it's being shoved down my throat. I expect from a lowly digital channel, but not ITV or Channel 4.

I agree - find it quite insulting to the programme being broadcast too.

I think the pop ups are more effective.  Once you've seen it for 20 seconds you don't need to see it for the next 10 minutes constantly.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Neil Jones - 08-10-2023

As a general rule I would argue that if a show's that much of a "must see" it would drive itself. The fact the channel (not unique to ITV I must say) thinks it needs an extra push probably says more about the programme itself.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Joe - 08-10-2023

That’s not really how advertising works, though.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Neil Jones - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:20 PM)Joe Wrote:  That’s not really how advertising works, though.

No, but word of mouth is free.
Perhaps I should have clarified that once it gets going it doesn't really need the push, if its that successful it will drive itself, otherwise its akin to flogging a dead horse.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Andrew Wood - 09-10-2023

The stormy Cityscape idents made for a nice variation this evening...

https://theident.gallery/player.php/ITV1-2023-ID-BIGBROTHER-CITYSCAPE-2-081023 

https://theident.gallery/player.php/ITV2-2023-ID-BIGBROTHER-CITYSCAPE-2-081023 

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - Joe - 09-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:41 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  No, but word of mouth is free.
Perhaps I should have clarified that once it gets going it doesn't really need the push, if it’s that successful it will drive itself, otherwise its akin to flogging a dead horse.
That’s a lovely idea, but far removed from reality. I would say that Google has ‘got going’, yet it still advertises itself to the tune of millions. Watch any advert break or walk through a transit network or browse the WWW and you’ll see the same.

This forum is, obviously, very engaged with TV. It’s also typically older and male (an assumption but a fair one) and I think that is one reason why Big Brother promotion is going to grate more quickly. But honestly you’ve got to remember that most people aren’t as switched on (literally) as forum users. You have to spend a lot of money marketing this thing, and research and results show that such marketing pay off. You’re right that if the show is naff those viewers won’t stick, but you can’t rely on the opposite being true. Viewers won’t just magically find your wonderful show meaning you can forget about promotion – in all but rare cases. 

Sometimes I think forum members take against devices that interfere with their viewing experience – on screen promos, regular adverts etc – forgetting that if they didn’t work they wouldn’t be used. Commercial TV is a business, not an art project. 

By the way, I suspect the on screen promo in the corner is more about burning it into the viewers’ minds than mentioning it to anyone for the first time, but I’ll bet it worked for many.

RE: ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond) - dbl - 10-10-2023

Joe's summed it up nicely. ITV has essentially hyped up the promotion of Big Brother to create a buzz around the show. It's intentionally disruptive to start a conversation on the on-air side of the marketing campaign. 

It has done its job.