Pres Café
Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - XIII - 05-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 09:39 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(04-05-2023, 06:23 PM)WhoOdyssey Wrote:  Noodle the Cat seems to be a pre-existing thing, they have over 6 million followers on TikTok.

Apparently there was a  dog called Noodle as well who was (it says here) a "pet influencer" on TikTok, though may only have been a "thing" in the States as it was news to me.

But anyway, not surprising its a thing on social media as that's where those sort of things tend to start, so it probably went viral at some point (not that I'd have known as I don't use TikTok) and somebody decided let's take it to BGT.

But as per above, CGI and low budgets never have mixed, no end of budget dinosaur films with cheap CGI dinosaurs came out in the wake of Jurassic Park and its copious sequels, and the difference on the dinosaurs is like night and day (although in fairness they were mostly animatronics in the film)

Channel 5 did a series on Dinosaurs and while the intent was there, the dinosaurs looked cheap.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Newshound47 - 14-05-2023

Rather a lot of non British acts tonight. Feels like the show is starting to come to its natural end.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - JAS84 - 14-05-2023

And a bit of drama at the end of the show when Bruno pressed the golden buzzer - even though all five golden buzzers had already been used!

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - tellyblues - 14-05-2023

(14-05-2023, 08:20 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Rather a lot of non British acts tonight. Feels like the show is starting to come to its natural end.

There's hardly any incentive for British acts to audition as the public don't buy into the "been on BGT" patter anymore.

A lot of acts seem to exist solely by appearing on the various Got Talent editions across the world.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Neil Jones - 15-05-2023

(14-05-2023, 10:44 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 08:20 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Rather a lot of non British acts tonight. Feels like the show is starting to come to its natural end.

There's hardly any incentive for British acts to audition as the public don't buy into the "been on BGT" patter anymore.

A lot of acts seem to exist solely by appearing on the various Got Talent editions across the world.

Could the same be argued back in the day for the likes of New Faces and Opportunity Knocks? To an extent yes, since some big names we know today appeared on those shows and got their big break that way, but I suspect the inability to be oversaturated like you can be today helped them, and of course they weren't just TV personalities - stand up was part of the shtick as well.

A large chunk of those acts on those shows would have just had their 15 minutes and were never seen or heard of again. So getting your fizzog on these sort of shows doesn't guarantee you anything. Indeed I believe some people who went on Opportunity Knocks attempted to represent the UK at Eurovision - whether they did or not I don't know.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - tellyblues - 15-05-2023

Opportunity Knocks was less demanding of contestants than BGT since, for the former, acts only had to perform once and that was it. The winner came back the following week but they could do the same routine if they wanted to. New Faces was different in that there was a tournament structure but unlike BGT the semi finals and final weren't done and dusted within a week. It could be months before you saw the same person again so contestants had time to hone their act, and yes, not be over-publicised. Both shows ran for 30+ episodes at points so it was easier to stay out of the limelight then than it is now.

New Faces ran for just five years before ending in 1978 - the same year as Opportunity Knocks funnily enough. I've read that OK was axed not because of ratings but complaints about Hughie Green using the show as a soapbox for his own political agenda. Can't find anything about why New Faces was axed - anyone know?

What is certain is that neither show was about cash prizes or product, which BGT can't not be associated with. It was expected, particularly in the early years (possibly still is?), that albums by contestants would be released once a series was over and much like The X Factor would consist of the same generic tracks and be promoted the exact same way. You don't see this now, partly because the money isn't there, but the key thing is that the public gave up before this was the case. I do think that today's contestants are stifled by what has happened before.

No, people aren't guaranteed anything by BGT but those who go on the show seem to be the types who want to have careers in showbiz, many of them already professionals. Maybe it's the lack of progress under their own steam what convinces them to apply? On the counterpoint, you have to wonder, how many people audition for the show nowadays? Probably not that many given that the brand isn't as strong as it used to be.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - JMT1985 - 15-05-2023

BGT is going nowhere - it is still a ratings success for ITV1 - it gets overnight ratings of close on 6 million with consolidated figures adding well over a million more - along with plenty of views on their YouTube channel

Newshound47 said "Feels like the show is starting to come to its natural end" - I don't see that at all - still a high energy Saturday night prime time show, perfect for spring/early summer just like it's counterpart in the US.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - JAS84 - 15-05-2023

(15-05-2023, 02:01 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Opportunity Knocks was less demanding of contestants than BGT since, for the former, acts only had to perform once and that was it. The winner came back the following week but they could do the same routine if they wanted to. New Faces was different in that there was a tournament structure but unlike BGT the semi finals and final weren't done and dusted within a week. It could be months before you saw the same person again so contestants had time to hone their act, and yes, not be over-publicised. Both shows ran for 30+ episodes at points so it was easier to stay out of the limelight then than it is now.

New Faces ran for just five years before ending in 1978 - the same year as Opportunity Knocks funnily enough. I've read that OK was axed not because of ratings but complaints about Hughie Green using the show as a soapbox for his own political agenda. Can't find anything about why New Faces was axed - anyone know?
Both Opportunity Knocks and New Faces were revived in the 80s (OK 1987-90 and NF 1986-88) - in fact James Stone from BGT 2008 was also on New Faces of 1986.

Given that New Faces was on ITV, it ending in 1978 may well be because of the 1979 strike? They were forced to miss a year, and just didn't end up coming back for several years?

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Newshound47 - 29-05-2023

One of the worse ever semis tonight in terms of technical errors and having scripted feel.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Larry the Loafer - 29-05-2023

At least Ant hit the ground running at the start of the show...