Pres Café
Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=246)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - tellyblues - 15-01-2023

The danger of it being someone from TXF is that it's seen as lazy and the show is so irrelevant now that they can't get anyone else. It's telling that moves have already been made to dilute the formula with the magician spin-off - not that a magic show on its own would be popular anyway because that thing with Penn and Teller flopped - and ITV commissioning more performance related shows recently.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Jon - 15-01-2023

From what I remember Penn & Teller’s series didn’t flop, it did OK but not well enough for ITV to commission anymore. Of course it only got commissioned because the original one-off did well. And Channel 5 must have it was popular enough for them to show a few series of long running US version that followed it.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Gary Baldy - 15-01-2023

(15-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  From what I remember Penn & Teller’s series didn’t flop, it did OK but not well enough for ITV to commission anymore. Of course it only got commissioned because the original one-off did well. And Channel 5 must have it was popular enough for them to show a few series of long running US version that followed it.

They still show both versions in Ireland every now and again.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - sjames - 15-01-2023

I do find it odd that Penn & Teller Fool Us didn't continue here, especially as it's now on it's 9th season in the US. IIRC, Channel 5 only showed a handful of episodes from the 2nd series/1st US series but didn't complete it.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - JAS84 - 16-01-2023

Did it do poorly here, but get aired on CW in the US, who then commissioned more?

Of course, Channel 5 is owned by Paramount, who at the time also owned half of CW. That's why they got the show I guess, but if they dumped it quickly it must've done poorly there too.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - eyeTV - 16-01-2023

The first series got between 3-4m in 2011 when it aired on ITV between June & August.

There have been 8 more seasons on the CW and it's still running.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - gottago - 16-01-2023

(16-01-2023, 06:37 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Of course, Channel 5 is owned by Paramount, who at the time also owned half of CW. That's why they got the show I guess, but if they dumped it quickly it must've done poorly there too.

That was before the re-merger of Viacom and CBS. C5 was owned by Viacom, The CW was part-owned by CBS so no link there. 

It was when C5 was still experimenting with occasional entertainment shows. The US series they aired was still hosted by Jonathan Ross (he only did one series for the US) so I expect they thought they might have been onto a bit of a winner having a ready-made ents series with a popular UK host that they could buy on the cheap but as it happened no one wanted to watch it!

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - tellyblues - 16-01-2023

Worth noting that there was a four year gap between series 1 and series 2 of Penn and Teller so ITV will have moved onto other things.

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - lepeterrr - 16-01-2023

Bruno Tonioli has apparently been confirmed: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bruno-tonioli-becomes-new-britains-28969943 

RE: Britain’s Got Talent 2023 - Brekkie - 16-01-2023

(15-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  From what I remember Penn & Teller’s series didn’t flop, it did OK but not well enough for ITV to commission anymore. Of course it only got commissioned because the original one-off did well. And Channel 5 must have it was popular enough for them to show a few series of long running US version that followed it.
Like quite a few summer series that did OK but not spectacular those that are axed often tend to have done better than what replaced them the following year.

Back to BGT and apparantly Bruno is now signed up as the 4th judge (though of course Alan had signed the deal last week!). If true I feel like they're not really adding something that's missing to the panel other than someone who falls off their chair every so often. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up only doing a year.