Pres Café
Corrie - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Corrie (/showthread.php?tid=253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Corrie - Rorylufc - 02-04-2023

The last 30 days' worth of Classic Corrie was deleted from ITVX this morning, citing on Twitter 'the online license expiring', thankfully they've said they'll continue to upload episodes as they air on ITV3.

RE: Corrie - James2001 - 06-04-2023

We've had the first 2 Monday "double bill" episodes on ITV3- looks like they're splicing in the end credits at the end of the first episode rather then ending on a break bumper, but leaving the second episode as it was, beginning with just a break bumper rather than the opening titles.

RE: Corrie - gottago - 06-04-2023

I wonder if that's how they went out internationally.

RE: Corrie - Kojak - 06-04-2023

(06-04-2023, 10:02 PM)gottago Wrote:  I wonder if that's how they went out internationally.
I don't know, but I suspect you are on to something! TVNZ has shown Corrie as hour-long episodes for some years now - long before it went to an hour on ITV. I wouldn't be surprised if similar happened with these double-bill episodes. I suspect ITV would have probably offered a choice of 30-minute or hour-long versions to foreign broadcasters.

RE: Corrie - James2001 - 06-04-2023

When I was in the US and had access to Hulu a few years back, they had full titles and credits on every half hour episode- including the ones that would have opened with just a break caption in the UK. This would have been around 2017 or 18 though, I don't know how these 2002 episodes would have been done outside the UK, but it would look odd to just open episodes with a break caption when they're being shown individually.

The Network 2000-2009 DVD boxset has all these episodes that were originally one part of a two parter as broadcast though, including the "back in half an hour" caption when it's the first part (even though the second part isn't on the DVD)- even the ITV2 repeats frequently didn't leave that in!

I do remember around 2011-ish, one episode on Virgin Media's catch up service went out with "textless elements" at the end of the episode- the opening titles, credits, opening scene and break captions all with no text, for foreign broadcasters to add captions in their own langauge. I have a DVD of another show where they also appear at the end of one episode, presumably by mistake, and I seem to remember reading one episode of Masterchef briefly went out like this on the iPlayer before it was quickly removed. Textless elements at the end of shows on master tapes are very common, but of course not usually meant to be seen by us average joes!

RE: Corrie - JAS84 - 07-04-2023

Yeah, though I've seen similar. In 2010 the Power Rangers website uploaded the first three seasons (the Mighty Morphin era - Saban had just bought it back from Disney and they were buying time until season 18, Samurai, was produced), and a lot of the episodes had VT clocks, and textless title sequences and opening and closing scenes. Unfortunately, they used a proprietary file format which couldn't be downloaded, replaced them daily (they uploaded an episode a day and each replaced the previous one - there's over 150 episodes), and the current uploads put onto Youtube by the franchise's current owner Hasbro don't have that extra stuff.

RE: Corrie - Neil Jones - 07-04-2023

We've seen it before where the only copies of things (so far as ITV are concerned) is seemingly what actually went out on ITV. Repeats of ITV gameshows from 2001/2 on Challenge have the ECP design of the time on them for example - seemingly a "proper credit" copy isn't available for whatever reason. Same with some home media releases of programmes of that time, I'm sure it was stated they were the broadcast copies with the ECP design, though some of that would have aired internationally.

Of course bigger juggernauts like Corrie are probably the exception to the rule and justify the effort to having "proper" credits for international airing. I dare say with the current ECP on ITV its much less of an issue and of course the only edit is the whole "back in half an hour" thing, though as James2001 says above, those seem to ended up on the Network DVD.

Textless episodes/broadcasts/segments turn up on occasion of all kinds of things when they probably shouldn't, but of course its often the case the other way round that causes the issues - as the compilation episodes of Not The Nine O'Clock News proved, rendering certain portions unusable as they were covered in credits with no clean elements.

RE: Corrie - James2001 - 07-04-2023

The Band Aid performance on the Christmas 1984 TOTP is presumably much the same, and the reason why the review of the 80s episode used a mix of the performance and the video.

RE: Corrie - JamesWorldNews - 21-04-2023

Claire Sweeney: interesting appointment. She’ll be good, I reckon.

RE: Corrie - Si-Co - 23-04-2023

I’ve seen some recent episodes from CBC Canada and they have full opening and closing credits for each half-hour edit (though CBC tend to cut most of the closing credits to show a full-screen ECP with the credits re-typed out in the lower third, and you only hear the beginning and end of the closing theme itself - all of which kinda defeats the purpose somewhat!). They also have clean openings to the end of the UK part one and beginning of UK part two (they tend to take this break as one of their own three breaks, but superimpose their own full-screen caption at the end of our part one unless it ends with continuing action when their own logo replaces ours in the lower third. Similarly, if our part two begins with a location shot rather than a full-screen caption, this shot is also clean).

As for the 2002 episodes, I’ve shared this before - but 7TWO Australia had the same edits as the UK, and on the episodes with no closing sequence, they used the same 2002 credits until well into 2005, and probably later:

https://youtu.be/ycFV0QS4wPQ