Pres Café
Corrie - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Corrie (/showthread.php?tid=253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Corrie - Si-Co - 27-04-2023

Another thing I noticed regarding the end credits - on yesterday’s first ITV3 episode, which was one without proper credits and had those of the following episode spliced on, we caught a glimpse of the original Cadbury Buttons sponsorship sting. It seems ITV3 are using copies of the episodes with sponsors intact (and I previously thought these were usually played out live - obviously not).

RE: Corrie - Neil Jones - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 08:14 AM)Si-Co Wrote:  Another thing I noticed regarding the end credits - on yesterday’s first ITV3 episode, which was one without proper credits and had those of the following episode spliced on, we caught a glimpse of the original Cadbury Buttons sponsorship sting. It seems ITV3 are using copies of the episodes with sponsors intact (and I previously thought these were usually played out live - obviously not).

Why would they be played out live? Just something else to go wrong.
We know from previous discussion sponsor bumpers were stuck on programmes as far back as the 90s (and even then in unusual places such as before the endcap for example), but I dare say the exception may be if somebody comes along at the eleventh hour as it were and there isn't time to tack it on, but those sort of things are usually done in advance.

They probably were played out live in the late 80s and early 90s when programme sponsorship became a thing.

RE: Corrie - James2001 - 27-04-2023

Yes, I thought it was pretty well known that the sponsor bumpers were recorded onto the programmes themselves at that time, there's been several cases across repeats of various programmes over the years of them not being edited out properly.

RE: Corrie - Si-Co - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 10:53 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Yes, I thought it was pretty well known that the sponsor bumpers were recorded onto the programmes themselves at that time, there's been several cases across repeats of various programmes over the years of them not being edited out properly.

“Live” was probably a misleading word to use - what I meant was played out separately to the programme itself, ie. as a different “event”. 

I accept that programmes with a long-running sponsor like Corrie have the sponsor captions burnt on in post-production. But I don’t think this has always been the case. 

I did read somewhere - possibly referring to specific cases - that the sponsorship stings weren’t burnt onto the episodes in case a sponsorship changed or was withdrawn at short notice. There were cases when the sponsor was different in differing ITV regions (I think Emmerdale was example of this at one point), or on ITV2 omnibuses or encore showings. 

Sometimes a whole afternoon of programmes has the same sponsor which changes regularly and they wouldn’t necessarily know the sponsor (or have the up-to-date sting) when the various programmes were post-produced. 

I do believe some channels play them out separately - certainly the imports on National Geographic, which have random break points, and programmes like Neighbours and H&A on Channel 5. 

I’ve also noticed that some programmes on  ITVX and its predecessors don’t have the sponsor captions from ITV - and the EOP captions and end-captions are held long enough to know they aren’t just cutting away early. Corrie was an example of this, so perhaps a different edit is produced without sponsors?

I do know the first ever show on ITV3 was a "new" episode of Rebus (actually made in 2001 but never broadcast until then) and quick flashes of the original 2001 HSBC sponsor bumpers appeared at several points, so were clearly burnt into the master tapes of that show.

RE: Corrie - TheGregmeister - 27-04-2023

Of course there was also that short lived revival of The Krypton Factor that had the Sage sponsor graphics included in the opening titles, break bumpers and end credits.
I'd assume that would've had separate sponsor free versions of the titles/credits sequences in case of possible future repeats, perhaps on Challenge TV for example.

RE: Corrie - gottago - 27-04-2023

(27-04-2023, 03:13 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  Of course there was also that short lived revival of The Krypton Factor that had the Sage sponsor graphics included in the opening titles, break bumpers and end credits.

That was an advertiser funded programme as opposed to a traditional sponsor though.

Putting the sponsorship logos in the titles was common for a while, The Chart Show did it with all three sponsors they had, More4 repeated an episode of The Word with the Swatch bumpers animating in and out of the credits, GamesMaster had the McDonalds logo morphing into the M in the GamesMaster logo, some episodes of Play Your Cards Right on Challlenge have an iffy edit in the opening titles and break stings to cut out the Sun logo etc.

RE: Corrie - James2001 - 28-04-2023

First episode with the 2002 style generic credits today.

RE: Corrie - Dadeki - 07-06-2023

Some sad news to report today:

Quote:Julie Goodyear, known for playing Bet Lynch in Coronation Street, has received a "heartbreaking diagnosis" of dementia, her husband has said.

The actress had sought medical advice after "suffering forgetfulness" but there was now "no hope of a reversal in the situation", Scott Brand said.

Goodyear, 81, played the leopard-skin-loving barmaid from 1966 to 2003.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65831828