Pres Café
Social Media Gold - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Social Media Gold (/showthread.php?tid=34)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Social Media Gold - James2001 - 01-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 11:21 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  IIRC Nick Pickard, who was in charge of children's programming at TVS, jumped ship to Scottish and effectively saved the likes of Finders Keepers and Art Attack by recommissioning them as STV shows.

How 2 as well... the 1992 episodes of What's Up Doc had a TVS endcap, but if you look, actually are copyrighted to Scottish... which seems a bit confusing, but I guess made the changeover mid-series easier (and presumably means STV own the lot, rather than the first 4 months being stuck in TVS rights hell).

RE: Social Media Gold - Neil Jones - 02-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 11:21 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  IIRC Nick Pickard, who was in charge of children's programming at TVS, jumped ship to Scottish and effectively saved the likes of Finders Keepers and Art Attack by recommissioning them as STV shows.

Nigel Pickard took a few TVS shows to STV when TVS lost their licence, but I think Neil Buchanan was more instrumental in saving Art Attack, and of course STV was the broadcaster to get the show on the air. Buchanan just produced it through his own company, Media Merchants, at the time. It has since been sold on.

Not that the TVS legal situation blocks anything, IIRC we saw a TVS episode of Art Attack on the CITV Old Skool Weekend strand (the episode where he made the Queen's face out of bank notes which had to be done at like a top secret location because they borrowed the money from the Bank of England for that)

RE: Social Media Gold - James2001 - 02-03-2024

Though I think that's because Neil got the rights to Art Attack outright, including the TVS episodes, which is why there's been no problem repeating them unlike other TVS shows.

I did read they tried to show a 1991 Finders Keepers episode during the Old Skool Weekend but at the last minute had to give up due to the rights issues and showed a 1994 one instead.

We did have series 2 and 3 of How 2 pop up on Amazon though, so clearly something's been able to be sorted out there (though presumably not for series 1).

RE: Social Media Gold - lookoutwales - 02-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 10:38 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Perhaps we improved on it when STV gold hold of it, by just going ape crazy at every opportunity about, well everything basically. it was all about the mess, the destruction, the chaos... our version was exhausting to watch even as an adult all these years later never mind as a kid!

I'd go along with that - I tend to think with every series they ramped up that chaotic element (Andrew O'Connor was kept on as a writer / consultant - comedy producer Jon Magnusson had a similar role for a time)

The last STV series (where they added Diane Youdale as co-host) did feel like one of your typical 'last roll of the dice' revamps - not that it was the most drastic shake-up (though there was a new production team behind it) and yet typically, it was enough to ensure the show wouldn't be back.

(02-03-2024, 12:28 AM)James2001 Wrote:  We did have series 2 and 3 of How 2 pop up on Amazon though, so clearly something's been able to be sorted out there (though presumably not for series 1).

According to Amazon Prime page for How 2, Studio is created as "Scottish Television Enterprises".

Of course How started as a Southern show, which ran for years in the first place but didn't survive the death of Southern - and neither did most of the archive apparently. what does only lives on domestic formats (it says here).

RE: Social Media Gold - tellyblues - 02-03-2024

(02-03-2024, 12:48 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  I'd go along with that - I tend to think with every series they ramped up that chaotic element (Andrew O'Connor was kept on as a writer / consultant - comedy producer Jon Magnusson had a similar role for a time)

The last STV series (where they added Diane Youdale as co-host) did feel like one of your typical 'last roll of the dice' revamps - not that it was the most drastic shake-up (though there was a new production team behind it) and yet typically, it was enough to ensure the show wouldn't be back.

Similar to Get Your Own Back with Lisa Brockwell but it was probably the case with both shows that it was time to end them anyway.

RE: Social Media Gold - Milkshake - 02-03-2024

Yes Nigel Pickard jumped from TVS to STV, and it was a master stroke as its give STV a range of new programmes while at Maidstone STV agreed to give 3 years deal where Nick stayed in Maidstone( same office) and kept the staff in jobs for a longer period. There were road signs on the M20 saying "Scottish Television" must have confused a few people.

If people watch that First Series of Whats up doc, Executive Producers were Nigel Pickard and Sandy ross ( Sandy was STV man) so thier fingers were in place. Nigel left STV in the summer 1993 to join the up and coming Family channel. People did moan at STV for having to scall back some of the near knuckle humour on whats up doc, while ignoring the fact ITC had given them right telling off and were keeping a very close on the series from series 2 onwards.

I'm would be very surprised if the first 2 TVS series of Finder keepers and How 2 are not safe, and must be in STV vaults. Just like Art attack, Rupert yes that Rupert started as TVS series but went to STV and there manged to repeat the full series many times.

When Finder keepers left Maidstone and went north I think for the last series the set was 2ft to big, hence the changes to the house design?

I think it's been established much of the TVS archive is "safe"... tape wise. Just unable to be aired or sold due to lack of paperwork. I know various broadcast quality clips pop in in various places from time to time like YouTube and documentries where clips can be claimed as fair use.

There's loads of conflicting and misleading info about missing TV shows these days anyway. Doubly so with it often getting conflated with "lost media" which much of the time isn't lost, just unavailable, I've seen a fair few things over the last few years on lost media lists due to not being publicly available being declared as "wiped" in some places even though they aren't.

(02-03-2024, 03:51 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There's loads of conflicting and misleading info about missing TV shows these days anyway. Doubly so with it often getting conflated with "lost media" which much of the time isn't lost, just unavailable, I've seen a fair few things over the last few years on lost media lists due to not being publicly available being declared as "wiped" in some places even though they aren't.

LostMediaWiki is good at this.
Their definition of "lost" starts and stops at "I can't find it on YouTube, therefore it's missing".

I think it was Kaleidoscope who had an online portal that told you what was missing and what wasn't, though it went out of date and probably hasn't had the love or attention devoted to it probably should have. The other main resource was the late Mark Brown's site and forum, which was taken over by the community after he died. occasionally something interesting pops up on there.

Yeah, at one time Kaleidoscope's own portal was listing episodes of Family Fortunes and Bullseye that were in rotation on Challenge, and numerous episodes of other things that the BFI's searchable database shows they hold in broadcast form at the very least even if the broadcasters or production companies don't. And the way the "Big Breakfast archive needs cataloguing" quickly turned into "most Big Breakfast episodes are wiped". It's a minefield.

Sadly the aformentioned Mark Brown's missing episodes forum itself ends up with a lot of conjecture being passed off as fact on it these days. A show I enquired about getting from the broadcaster itself back in 2008, which they had complete in their archives at the time, has had people on there have recently insisting has every episode wiped- probably because it ended up on a "lost media" list and that got chinese whispered into actually being lost. Unless said major broadcaster actually has gone on a wiping spree of modern shows in the last 16 years, which is unlikely.