Pres Café
Saturday Night Takeaway - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Saturday Night Takeaway (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - NI92 - 11-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 03:00 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(10-04-2023, 10:57 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  I thought this when they were talking about getting Alison and Rylan during the series. You'd probably expect Stephen Mulhern to be the main culprit, but they could also incorporate Jordan/Fleur if they wanted.

I enjoyed the Behind the Screens show - it was a good geeky look at how things were done. The inclusion of a few seconds worth of Florida stuff felt more like a flex on how current the show was, considering there was no BTS stuff of them working there. I also expected them to show us a timeline of what they did last summer etc, considering they started off with mentioning how the show is 10 months in the works. 

Also - not really a shock but - don't they usually pretend they don't know what Ant vs Dec is? When we saw them watching a video of the balloon demonstration months ago...

They know what the challenges are but don’t rehearse them.

I think it was better as “What’s Next” when they switched their autocues off, took their earpieces out and genuinely didn’t have a clue what the challenge would be.
I think when SNT first came back in 2013 there was into the unknown element to Ant v Dec and that might have lasted for a few years and to be fair they don't say now they don't know what is happening and in the behind the screen doc they said they knew but weren't allowed to rehearse it but I agree bring back what's next?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Gary Baldy - 12-04-2023

(11-04-2023, 09:06 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(11-04-2023, 03:00 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  They know what the challenges are but don’t rehearse them.

I think it was better as “What’s Next” when they switched their autocues off, took their earpieces out and genuinely didn’t have a clue what the challenge would be.
I think when SNT first came back in 2013 there was into the unknown element to Ant v Dec and that might have lasted for a few years and to be fair they don't say now they don't know what is happening and in the behind the screen doc they said they knew but weren't allowed to rehearse it but I agree bring back what's next?

They got rid of the Into the Unknown element around the time they chucked Ashley Roberts out.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - RDJ - 12-04-2023

What's Next does need bringing back. The unknown element brings a certain level of spontaneity that can't be replicated, even if they know the challenge but don't rehearse it. But I suspect it's the not knowing element that caused Ant & Dec to can it.

It's the unexpected bits that happen that gain traction with viewers, such as Cynthia at the door on last weeks Ring my Bell or the lady who ripped her wig off a few years ago in the happiest minute.

They really do need to get rid of the Murder Mystery segments too. They really offer nothing different to all the others that they've done.

If they incorporate more live elements and unexpected elements into the show, that should put some traction in the live linear viewership. As otherwise there is nothing stopping you watching it sometime that week on ITVX.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Larry the Loafer - 12-04-2023

The fact that everything seems more controlled totally neuters the appeal of it being live. Yes, most of the games necessitate the need for the show to be live, but you don't get the fun that NTV used to provide; either the participants are prepared for the fact that they'll be taking part, or they appear so briefly (Happiest Minute) that there's no opportunity for A&D to have any fun with them. IIRC the End of the Show Shows prior to the most recent series were mostly pre-recorded. Yes, a layperson will hardly notice the difference, but it still leaves you questioning why they make the show live in the first place.

You don't have to go back too far to see how much fun it was when A&D lost control or didn't know what was going to happen. They're both at their very best when they react naturally to each other and what happens around them, not when they're trying to come across as consummate professionals who follow the script to the letter.

There's also the matter, in my opinion, of how much of the show is intertwined with winning Places on a Plane, which is all just one big product placement for whatever attraction the final episode is being shown from. Yes, it's exciting if you actually win a ticket and go there, but the end of the series showed that it's monumentally boring for those who are simply watching at home. But I can't see that changing, simply because it probably makes far too much money for ITV.

Nor can I see A&D relinquishing control and knowledge of what goes on in the show, as much as I'd like to see it. They're pretty much the faces of ITV and I imagine there's a lot of responsibility involved in that, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't want them both not looking like a safe pair of hands - even if it's at the expense of being too safe. It's just a shame they're growing less and less like the free-spirited but still entirely capable 2000s-era of A&D.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - cable - 12-04-2023

I miss their pre-titles sketch and a decent title sequence. Would like it to go on a break for a few years... the last break did it some good.

The running down the stairs is not the same since they moved to TVC, or they just have gotten older. I like Ant going into the audience and getting interactive with the audience but some of the 1st part skits miss their mark no matter how well intentioned they are. Ring my bell and ready my lips could do with being rested to allow them to try out some other fresh ideas.

The happiest "minute" could be made more special giving researched winners something more meaningful to them rather than a place on the plane.

The acting sketch should be dropped, yes it's nicely pre-recorded which probably makes it useful for logistical purposes.It also fills 30mins around Christmas. But its not memorable and its wasted time recapping the previous one.

Get out of my ear and undercover just seem meh recently. When done right, they are great but something new could freshen the middle of the show up.

They should try something new with win the ads, maybe work in an interactive game element a bit like grab the ads instead of a quiz. The wind kind of goes out the sails when they lose. something a little different might hold my attention, its become samey.

They need a better reason to go around the country. I'm not saying they should bring back the jiggy bank and that mouse and cheese maze but it needs better interactivity than they get a load of people to descend to light up a grid of people.

The end of the show show is mostly alright. The final show does not need to go abroad, it might be technically. impressive but just is a bit meh. With it being daylight, it feels like it's a disconnect with a Saturday night.

I wonder if it would have better energy if it was an hour rather than 90mins allowing it to cut out the filler or go 2 hours making giving the 2nd hour a different feel. Kind of like how Saturday morning Kids shows used to aim older as they went on.

It just feels too formulaic. Before when they had things like 'escape from takeaway prison' that lasted a single series, the following series at least tried to do different things

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - bilky asko - 12-04-2023

The finale will be wherever the money dictates...

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Andrew - 12-04-2023

I can’t see how Ring my Bell is now seen as something that needs to be dropped when it only started last year and they’ve probably done it about 5 times? Similar shows to Takeaway both currently and in the past run a feature much more than 5 times!

The other bits like Read My Lips literally appear twice a year. How would people have coped when Noel Edmonds would run the same items every week for about 22 weeks, and then often they’d come back again another year for another 22 goes.

The murder mystery sketch is so Ant and Dec can do a bit of acting, which they like to keep dipping their toe into.

In regards to What’s Next? Wasn’t it pretty much the same as Ant vs Dec, just that they didn’t know what it was, and there was no series long scoring? It was generally some sort of challenge or game they had to play against each other?

I agree about the opening pre titles sketch and the longer titles, that short sting that just bursts in and then we are straight in just seems too abrupt

I’m not sure what unplanned chaos in the past that doesn’t happen now people are referring to? You still get bits now like Cynthia on Ring my Bell, or an audience member doing something wrong in one of the games, one of them slightly tripping up on the autocue which they would make fun of, the fun they have with Stephen when they try and trip him up, or Jordan almost turning the golf buggy over in episode 1. What more are you wanting?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Nobby - 13-04-2023

Maybe Dec could break his arm again, that was interesting.

Surprised to hear that Andy Collins still works on the show. I don't think he was seen on screen at all in the most recent series.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JMT1985 - 14-04-2023

When they moved to Television Centre, they had a change to the audience platform.

Back in The London Studios, their Studio 1 had a very distinct audience platform, part balcony supplemented by additional movable seating, to make around 640 audience capacity

Studio TC1 at Television Centre even though is much larger than Studio 1 at TLS was, just doesn't have that large audience seating, as we found out from the behind the scenes programme they use under 500 capacity seating, which makes it look smaller on screen, and less of a run down for Ant and Dec to do each week.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Bluecortina - 15-04-2023

(14-04-2023, 10:54 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  When they moved to Television Centre, they had a change to the audience platform.

Back in The London Studios, their Studio 1 had a very distinct audience platform, part balcony supplemented by additional movable seating, to make around 640 audience capacity

Studio TC1 at Television Centre even though is much larger than Studio 1 at TLS was, just doesn't have that large audience seating, as we found out from the behind the scenes programme they use under 500 capacity seating, which makes it look smaller on screen, and less of a run down for Ant and Dec to do each week.

When it was built LWT’s studio 1 was promoted as the largest studio in the UK with permanent seating. Note the careful choice of words there.