Pres Café
Saturday Night Takeaway - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Saturday Night Takeaway (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Andrew - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 07:30 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I’ll miss the show. Sure it’s quality ebbs and flows but I still find it a highly enjoyable hour and a half of TV. I hope it is just a rest and it does return in some shape or form in the future.

I agree, I know people on the internet like to over analyse every episode and make a massive deal out of a 5 minute feature that didn’t land, but overall it’s still one of the best shows on a Saturday night

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Larry the Loafer - 18-05-2023

On paper, it's the quintessential Saturday night show. But you only have to take a look at an episode from the mid to late 2000s to see how it currently has nowhere near the same kind of energy and, dare I say it, fun. Whether that's down to things being very tight and arguably over rehearsed, or that most features tie into one big feature that, in itself, is one big money-making product placement, I'm not quite sure. Nevertheless, I can't say I'll mourn its (apparently) temporary loss, even if I do fear what ITV will fill the gap with.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - cable - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 09:49 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  On paper, it's the quintessential Saturday night show. But you only have to take a look at an episode from the mid to late 2000s to see how it currently has nowhere near the same kind of energy and, dare I say it, fun. Whether that's down to things being very tight and arguably over rehearsed, or that most features tie into one big feature that, in itself, is one big money-making product placement, I'm not quite sure. Nevertheless, I can't say I'll mourn its (apparently) temporary loss, even if I do fear what ITV will fill the gap with.

The recent series could do with a dash of this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZ6oGlwSE0 

its gone far too safe in recent years!

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Keith - 18-05-2023

I think the show benefited from taking a break the last time. It allowed for a reset to occur in terms of the features in the show, and feel more refreshed when it returned.

Knowing when to stop/pause whilst the show is at or near the top is a good thing. It gives them and ITV the option to make the break as short or long as desired.

It's something that Noel's House Party failed to do back in the 90s. Had Noel opted to 'rest' the show a couple series earlier things might potentially have ended a bit more amicably with the BBC.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JMT1985 - 18-05-2023

Noel admitted that he felt the show should have ended in the spring of 1995 at the conclusion of their fourth series, but it was pulling in 12 to 14 million viewers a week, beating ITV, especially Cilla's Blind Date, and so the BBC threw money at Noel and persuaded him to continue, which was the show's downfall.

ITV have paid Ant and Dec a lot of money for their new contract, so unless Limitless Win will be it's replacement, I wonder what else they can fill February to April 2025 with?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - ckck1704 - 18-05-2023

Given how they are calling it THEIR last series, this could mean that the show could continue, but with different presenters

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - tellyblues - 19-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 10:44 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Noel admitted that he felt the show should have ended in the spring of 1995 at the conclusion of their fourth series, but it was pulling in 12 to 14 million viewers a week, beating ITV, especially Cilla's Blind Date, and so the BBC threw money at Noel and persuaded him to continue, which was the show's downfall.

ITV have paid Ant and Dec a lot of money for their new contract, so unless Limitless Win will be it's replacement, I wonder what else they can fill February to April 2025 with?

Limitless Win started off well but has tailed off since. It doesn't feel strong enough to command the schedule. ITV aren't going to get SNT type numbers from it by moving it earlier but then again they are going to struggle to get close and even less chance with a quiz show.

They are missing something in the vein of You Bet, Take Me Out, a kids gameshow of the 90s - big and bold. It could be argued that Ninja Warrior is/was that but it's perhaps too competitive and not fun enough. Budgets will probably decide a quiz show in the end but there's enough of them about.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Brekkie - 19-05-2023

Amazed You Bet has never been bought back - Ant and Dec gave it a try stateside. I don't think they'd do a revival show though - they should be above that. Would suit Vernon Kay though if ITV are willing to throw a bit more work his way again now his star is rising again.

The reality nowadays is when a gap opens up in the schedule they tend to look at filling it at minimal cost rather than opening it up to creative to pitch for. They could just push Masked Singer back a couple of weeks and potentially add a couple more episodes, work the FA Cup games which were on ITV4 into the calendar and as BGT tends to have a double episode one week now bring that forward a week and the gap could be filled at virtually no cost.

I suspect though Ant and Dec will have their hours to make up and like last time they took a hiatus they'll get first dibs on the slot.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Ash101 - 19-05-2023

Limitless Win feels like it would work better as a week long event to me - a bit like how Millionaire or Beat the Chasers started. Especially to keep the momentum up if they have some plays flying up the board.

I agree though, I expect Ant & Dec will get first dibs on trying something new, what though I am not sure? As the last time Takeaway went on a break, they did a gameshow (Push The Button).. but they're already doing that with Limitless Win.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JAS84 - 19-05-2023

Maybe they'll try a sitcom? The reason Takeaway has those serials is because they like to still act sometimes, they started as actors. They have done a sitcom before, a Likely Lads remake.