Pres Café
Saturday Night Takeaway - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Saturday Night Takeaway (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Score - 19-05-2023

I wonder if Ant & Dec might look to do a reality show? I know they do IAC but something a bit more modern and aligned with the trend towards strategy based games (The Traitors etc).

Whatever they do (and I do expect they’ll launch something new) I imagine it’ll come from their production company.

I’m not convinced they’ll go down the road of launching a new show for Saturdays at 7pm in the Takeaway slot like they did with Push the Button. I think the lesson to learn there is not to go for something that is too obviously seen as a replacement as it inevitably just attracts negative comparisons.

I do think rather than launch a new show in the slot ITV will rejig the schedule a bit. As Brekkie said, Masked Singer could easily sustain a couple more episodes and would benefit from not having to launch over Xmas/New Year which never works that well. I also think BGT could benefit from running a few weeks earlier, taking straight over from Masked Singer, maybe with the lives running from May Day rather than the Bank Holiday at the end of May. It would avoid that run of clashing with Eurovision/Champions League final etc.

It would also mean A&D could be spread better across the year rather than having almost all their shows in the first half of the year. I suspect whatever they do instead of Takeaway might be for September time rather than Feb/March.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - MorganLamia - 19-05-2023

I've been a huge fan of SNT since the first series, so naturally I'm sad about the news, but I understand the reasoning and I'm ok with it since it's apparently just going to be rested for a while, as they've done before.
Like others have mentioned - the last few series have been feeling a little tired and not quite what it used to be. Kind of like they were just going through the motions.

On the side of Ant, Dec and everyone else who works on the show, it's understandable and I can imagine it being a relief for them. As they mentioned in the video, producing the show takes up a huge amount of time due to multiple segments of each episode taking up most of the year to plan and shoot. Not to mention trying to come up with different celebrities to rope in - the well is getting pretty dry after so many each series for so many years. Plus trying to come up with fresh Ant vs. Dec games and other parts has got to be tricky.
Some parts of the show have been pretty dire for a while, like the drama/murder mystery etc segments - Does anyone actually enjoy them? They're mostly the same (bad) thing each time. Even big fans, myself included, either sat begrudgingly through them or "put the kettle on" during it. If that never returned, I would be fine with it.

Hopefully the rest won't be for too long. As much as I love it, I think they made the right choice. A break was needed.
I'm curious how the final series (for now) next year will go. Hopefully it'll manage to go out with a proper bang for the big 20th.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Jon - 19-05-2023

I wonder if they’re planning any more I’m A Celeb South Africa, perhaps the following year. It didn’t set the world alight but it did alright. Perhaps they’ll try a live series?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Larry the Loafer - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 11:04 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Maybe they'll try a sitcom? The reason Takeaway has those serials is because they like to still act sometimes, they started as actors. They have done a sitcom before, a Likely Lads remake.

I doubt it. I suspect there's a reason they had to sneak those serials into a show ITV actually wanted to commission.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Johnr - 19-05-2023

If they didn’t have Limitless Win I wouldn’t have been that surprised to see them have a crack hosting Millionaire now it’s unlikely Jeremy will be doing any more

Has there ever been a international Millionaire with 2 hosts?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - eyeTV - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 12:19 PM)Score Wrote:  I do think rather than launch a new show in the slot ITV will rejig the schedule a bit. As Brekkie said, Masked Singer could easily sustain a couple more episodes and would benefit from not having to launch over Xmas/New Year which never works that well. I also think BGT could benefit from running a few weeks earlier, taking straight over from Masked Singer, maybe with the lives running from May Day rather than the Bank Holiday at the end of May. It would avoid that run of clashing with Eurovision/Champions League final etc.

It would also mean A&D could be spread better across the year rather than having almost all their shows in the first half of the year. I suspect whatever they do instead of Takeaway might be for September time rather than Feb/March.

I mean they could just jig things around and absorb the loss of the show, but it's another tent-pole show that's not being replaced. 

How about ITV come up with some new shows, they've never yet managed to replace XF in the autumn.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Brekkie - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 12:25 PM)Jon Wrote:  I wonder if they’re planning any more I’m A Celeb South Africa, perhaps the following year. It didn’t set the world alight but it did alright. Perhaps they’ll try a live series?

I doubt they'd ditch fronting their own series to front more of something they don't own.

Whether it returns in the future remains to be seen - they'd be coming back as two 50-something hosts.   If they don't just snap up the rights to Ant and Dec's House Party they need to learn from what Noel did in that era and evolve the format into a new show.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Score - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 12:58 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  
(19-05-2023, 12:19 PM)Score Wrote:  I do think rather than launch a new show in the slot ITV will rejig the schedule a bit. As Brekkie said, Masked Singer could easily sustain a couple more episodes and would benefit from not having to launch over Xmas/New Year which never works that well. I also think BGT could benefit from running a few weeks earlier, taking straight over from Masked Singer, maybe with the lives running from May Day rather than the Bank Holiday at the end of May. It would avoid that run of clashing with Eurovision/Champions League final etc.

I mean they could just jig things around and absorb the loss of the show, but it's another tent-pole show that's not being replaced. 

How about ITV come up with some new shows, they've never yet managed to replace XF in the autumn.
Of course they need to come up with new shows, I just think they’d be better off putting said new shows in September where they’re needed. Really they’re overstuffed on Saturdays in the first half of the year so as much as anything Takeaway going gives the rest of the lineup some breathing room.

Really The Masked Singer, Limitless Win and Starstruck are all the replacements for The X Factor. None existed whilst XF was on and it was them finding Masked Singer that meant they could shift The Voice into the Autumn. And then off the back of that it created the room in the schedule to launch Limitless and Starstruck. 

So it was a rejig but they still had to find the new shows. It just made sense to move something established (The Voice) into X Factor’s slot, and put the new stuff into the easier Q1 slot(s) instead. It’s the same here, put the new stuff where it’s more likely to work out and less likely to look like a direct replacement for the show that’s gone as that rarely works out (the comparisons to the previous show often don’t end well).

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JAS84 - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 12:55 PM)Johnr Wrote:  If they didn’t have Limitless Win I wouldn’t have been that surprised to see them have a crack hosting Millionaire now it’s unlikely Jeremy will be doing any more

Has there ever been a international Millionaire with 2 hosts?

Afghanistan? One version there only ran for a year but managed to have three hosts, the other lasted three years and also had three hosts. I just can't tell if they were together or rotated somehow like the Chaser on The Chase.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_versions_of_Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire%3F 

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - tellyblues - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 01:14 PM)Score Wrote:  
(19-05-2023, 12:58 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I mean they could just jig things around and absorb the loss of the show, but it's another tent-pole show that's not being replaced. 

Of course they need to come up with new shows, I just think they’d be better off putting said new shows in September where they’re needed. Really they’re overstuffed on Saturdays in the first half of the year so as much as anything Takeaway going gives the rest of the lineup some breathing room.

Really The Masked Singer, Limitless Win and Starstruck are all the replacements for The X Factor. None existed whilst XF was on and it was them finding Masked Singer that meant they could shift The Voice into the Autumn. And then off the back of that it created the room in the schedule to launch Limitless and Starstruck. 

So it was a rejig but they still had to find the new shows. It just made sense to move something established (The Voice) into X Factor’s slot, and put the new stuff into the easier Q1 slot(s) instead. It’s the same here, put the new stuff where it’s more likely to work out and less likely to look like a direct replacement for the show that’s gone as that rarely works out (the comparisons to the previous show often don’t end well).

The problem with commissioning shows for later in the year is that they would face Strictly and likely be axed after just one series due to poor ratings. It doesn't really matter if they are meant to be one-offs such as BGT: The Champions but it means burning through new formats unnecessarily. It's clear that ITV don't think competing with Strictly is worth it because what they put up against it is disposable or can survive (established shows like Catchphrase, The Chase). The elephant in the room is The Voice which time after time gets recommissioned despite disappointing in the ratings anywhere it goes. I can't imagine it's cheap to make but perhaps it is kept going because no-one calls for it to be axed. It does seem to get an easy time of it compared to other shows.

Maybe X Factor for the 20th anniversary next year could work. I think a gameshow that isn't about big money would be the best long-term option all things considered.