Pres Café
Saturday Night Takeaway - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Saturday Night Takeaway (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Score - 15-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 01:26 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  None of these things are true. BGT is down slightly but still doing well, The Masked Singer is doing a solid job at nearly 5m, and The Voice has settled on its own level between 2-3m.

Anything that can get above 3m in the current climate is a hit frankly, given where we are with most slot averages, and anything slightly under that is a reliable enough performer.

I don’t think there’s a need for panic stations but I’d agree with at least two of the points made by @eyeTV. Masked Singer has started to fade. Not alarmingly so but it’s not the new fresh thing any more and has wobbled a bit this year against tough competition. I’d expect Gladiators to come back at least a bit lower next year so it’ll probably get easier but they could do with giving a bit more support.

The Voice is on life support, nobody cares and the ratings really weren’t great last time. They appear to be changing the panel but the rumoured names are not exciting and they’ve scaled the whole thing back quite drastically suggesting they know it isn’t up to much.

I’d say the description of BGT as “fading fast” is a bit harsh. It’s certainly not what it was at its peak and spent most of the 2010s on a slow decline. It came back quite a bit lower after its covid enforced hiatus but I think that was partly some adjustment to the new ratings normal and last year was quite steady. Have to see how it does this year but I’d say BGT definitely isn’t a top concern unlike other shows/parts of the schedule.

Takeaway itself has faded a bit but will definitely be missed. They can probably cover off some slots by not launching Masked Singer over Christmas and not doubling up the BGT launch weekend but there’s still a few weeks to fill unless they extend one or both of them, and I’m not sure that would be great for the health of either. Masked Singer could probably do an extra couple of weeks if needed but the moment for extending BGT or adding a middle round has long passed.

Do think ITV need to get commissioning some proper big bets and not just gameshow revivals and naff formats like Starstruck. One of my main criticisms is how their entertainment seems to have lost a lot of bite. Dancing on Ice without a ‘nasty’ judge is a prime example of that and Starstruck was so bland. They need to inject some excitement back into their shows.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - iloveTV1 - 15-02-2024

Wouldn’t be surprised if they brought Ninja Warrior back, they were quite unfair to it last time, showing it at 5.30pm and then moving it around when The Queen died to even earlier slots.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JAS84 - 15-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 01:50 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  This country only really has two talk shows - Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross in prime time/late evening - why not ITV create a new one, as it seems they have abandoned John Bishop's show.
I think he quit, rather than it getting axed? He wanted to focus on his stand up tour?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - tellyblues - 15-02-2024

A big part of the problem which has been touched upon already is that aside from gameshows, what types of shows are going to rate well? In the past there was Baywatch and The Bill but for the dramas that are being made now you couldn't show them before the watershed, so they're out.

As far as gameshows are concerned, I think there is a reluctance to muck about when huge amounts of money are at stake so nearly every show is a Millionaire clone whereas when the prizes in the past were modest like speedboats and holidays, shows were prepared to have fun, let luck be a factor, celebs or sportspeople playing on a contestant's behalf as what could be lost wasn't exactly life-changing. It also meant shows weren't scared to have different rounds for fear of killing tension because there wasn't any but now they're just one thing to make it feel like an endurance, which is the downfall of so many of them because viewers get bored of just one thing quickly. If you've seen one episode, you've seen them all.

The Voice should have been axed years ago but ITV probably think they need a serious singing show and it's the only and best way of doing one. It's not.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Brekkie - 15-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 05:30 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Wouldn’t be surprised if they brought Ninja Warrior back, they were quite unfair to it last time, showing it at 5.30pm and then moving it around when The Queen died to even earlier slots.
The change in format didn't work - it was an inferior product. I don't think reviving it again would go beyond one series.

I do agree SNT going will probably be masked by rejigging the schedule of Masked Singer and BGT slightly. Autumn needs something much bigger which will grab attention - the time is probably right to revive The X Factor. Think the BGT deal ends this year (unless the missed covid year has been rolled over) so wouldn't be surprised at all if a new deal included The X Factor too. Indeed the last one included one last throw of the dice for TXF but covid saw it scrapped.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JMT1985 - 15-02-2024

I think if the X Factor is brought back it might do well - especially if they play on the peak era of the show's success - remember 2009, when the final with Olly Murs and Joe McElderry pulled in a whopping 19.1 million peak, an audience no entertainment show will ever get again, but shows the power of that show when it is done well.

ITV have nothing to offer as an alternative to BBC Strictly Come Dancing in the autumn - a big entertainment show is really needed, otherwise they will look so tired and dull.

Anyway - back to SNT - the show if it is brought back in 5 years, really needs a big revamp. It always feels at times with the 90 minutes they have, it isn't filled very well - on occasions the pacing of a show feels okay, but most weeks it just feels dragged out. That is where they need to fix it, if it returns.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - tomo359 - 15-02-2024

Would ITV ever try a Saturday drama series again? It's been quite a while hasn't it since we've had a Saturday drama. They seem to be investing quite a lot into different types of dramas on ITVX, being a bit more inventive and moving away from crime dramas all the time.

It would be great to see a Merlin/Primevil/Robin Hood style family friendly drama but I'm guessing ITV just won't risk that sort of spending again would they?

Sorry I know this isn't really about SNT but the thread seems to be going more towards what ITV will fill the void with...maybe needing a new thread or title change?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Andrew - 15-02-2024

Well I mean it is only 90 minutes for 7 weeks, it’s not the biggest void to fill

Takeaway also doesn’t define a season like Strictly does or X Factor did.

They basically just need to commission one new series for the iconic end of Feb, March and the start of April slot

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - TheGregmeister - 16-02-2024

I wonder if ITV might consider a reboot of Don't Forget Your Toothbrush to put in SNT's place next year? Could it work? Who even owns the DFYT format these days?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - GMc - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 01:55 AM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  I wonder if ITV might consider a reboot of Don't Forget Your Toothbrush to put in SNT's place next year? Could it work? Who even owns the DFYT format these days?

That was a Ginger Production, which was absorbed into STV Studios. Either they still own the format, or Chris Evans I would think.