Pres Café
Saturday Night Takeaway - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Saturday Night Takeaway (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - tellyblues - 16-02-2024

Toothbrush is like Takeaway in many ways and in that those involved decided it was time to move on before their show went downhill. I think you only have to look at Noel's House Party for a similar dependant on ideas format that ran out of steam in the end to see why someone would want to end a show on a relative high.

The real question is if ITV decide to replace Takeaway with another "fun" show, which isn't easy to do as stuff like Bigheads has proven. I think they have to as another singing show so soon after The Masked Singer and leading up to BGT isn't great and there are too many big money gameshows already. Maybe the answer is to move Limitless Win into Takeaway's slot and commission something fun but with less of a budget and less audience expectation for LW's slot?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - PJamo - 16-02-2024

It's hard to think what they could fill the time with - audiences are so different nowadays but the likes of Gladiators does show that, if done right, a revival can work as long as expectations are realistic.

I always loved You Bet and Don't Try This At Home - maybe it's worth rolling the dice on one of those formats from the 90s/early 00s and see if any stick.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - DE88 - 16-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 03:49 PM)Score Wrote:  The Voice is on life support, nobody cares and the ratings really weren’t great last time. They appear to be changing the panel but the rumoured names are not exciting and they’ve scaled the whole thing back quite drastically suggesting they know it isn’t up to much.
(15-02-2024, 07:51 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  The Voice should have been axed years ago but ITV probably think they need a serious singing show and it's the only and best way of doing one. It's not.

My interest in The Voice ended when it left the BBC. What does that say about me? Confused

(16-02-2024, 01:33 PM)PJamo Wrote:  I always loved You Bet and Don't Try This At Home - maybe it's worth rolling the dice on one of those formats from the 90s/early 00s and see if any stick.

I always loved YB! and DTTAH too.

Wouldn't watch a DTTAH revival if Davina wasn't doing it, though...

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - VMPhil - 16-02-2024

Most people’s interest in The Voice ended after the last blind auditions episode of the first series.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - eyeTV - 16-02-2024

The Voice is an ITV Studios owned format and it sells worldwide. I think I'm right in saying it's one of the biggest-selling formats globally, so I guess it wouldn't be a good look if it didn't have a presence in its home market.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - ckck1704 - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 04:36 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  The Voice is an ITV Studios owned format and it sells worldwide. I think I'm right in saying it's one of the biggest-selling formats globally, so I guess it wouldn't be a good look if it didn't have a presence in its home market.

Actually, it might be better off cancelled here. The whole series being pre recorded has just drained the show of its soul. They either improve the series with live shows, or just call it quits at this point.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - ckck1704 - 16-02-2024

They could revive million pound drop. The series rated well back on channel 4, if they brought it back on itv1 with the original format, it could do well. They could also have another go at rising star, which was recently used as the Israeli national selection for eurovision 2024.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Brekkie - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 11:38 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Toothbrush is like Takeaway in many ways and in that those involved decided it was time to move on before their show went downhill. I think you only have to look at Noel's House Party for a similar dependant on ideas format that ran out of steam in the end to see why someone would want to end a show on a relative high.

I don't think Chris has produced or created a show in years other than the TFI reboot. Top Gear should have been a perfect fit for him but just wasn't. He seems quite happy sticking with radio.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - tellyblues - 16-02-2024

(16-02-2024, 04:36 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  The Voice is an ITV Studios owned format and it sells worldwide. I think I'm right in saying it's one of the biggest-selling formats globally, so I guess it wouldn't be a good look if it didn't have a presence in its home market.

The Voice has done all it can do worldwide and any international broadcaster currently with the licence to produce a version isn't suddenly going to axe it because the UK aren't making it and especially if it rates well. Showing that a format works is important when it's starting out because it may only be airing in one country at that point but it's less so more than a decade on when the amount of countries airing it backs up that the format is popular.

Although, formats should be given a chance even if they don't initially work. There seems to be a laziness with broadcasters and a view of "let's do our version" only if a show is popular in another country. Catchphrase would never have been made here if that was the case.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - sjames - 16-02-2024

I gave up watching The Voice during its early years on the BBC as I got frustrated with the coaches looking at each other and asking each other 'Are you going to push?' 'I'll go if you go' type of antics which often meant they missed out on some brilliant contestants and chose some awful ones.

Having said that I really enjoyed The Voice Kids as it felt different. However ITV started messing around with the format and scheduling of that by shortening the series and having it over several nights, moving it from summer to Christmas and back again. That version is 'taking a break' this year, but I expect it's been quietly dropped and won't return.

A few years ago Stephen Mulhern hosted 'Go For It' which was challenge type series, which was good but only lasted one series. I'm surprised that didn't get a longer run, but then again Stephen seems to be going for the world record of hosting the most about of TV shows!

Penn & Teller: Fool Us never seemed to take off here like it should have done, and yet continues to be successful in the US with it on it's 10th season. I'm surprised no UK channels show it - C5 showed a few from the 2nd series in random slots but then dropped it.