Pres Café
Saturday Night Takeaway - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Saturday Night Takeaway (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - MorganLamia - 08-04-2024

I think Ant's "Get out of me Ear" segment was fine. Dermot and Alison handled it well. They knew how to play it - little bits of silly fun that weren't SUPER obviously suspicious to the people getting tricked, and things that felt like just teasing and pretty gentle discomfort for Ant.

Dec's with Simon and Amanda was painful to watch, however. Really cringey. They didn't seem to get it at all and just immediately went way over the top with what they made Dec do. You need some degree of subtlety to pull it off, but they just went to 200%. It felt like there were multiple parts with Dec genuinely very uncomfortable as well. Simon & Amanda seemed quite mean-spirited. (Imagine that!) They damaged the segment quite a bit and I would've much preferred someone else to be involved.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Brekkie - 08-04-2024

I did watch the two segments yesterday having pretty much fast forwarded through the rest of the show and enjoyed them far more than I was expecting considering the comments the night before. Agree Ant's was better but Dec's wasn't too bad either - think the mistake was putting them both in the same show rather than playing them out over a couple of weeks.

Overall the episode just thin on content outside of those two segments really, but that's the nature of TV nowadays where an hour of content is played out over 90 minutes.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - callumwatchestelly - 08-04-2024

The "Get Out Me Ear" segments last night were really funny, however the people involved must've known at the very least that this was a wind up for SNT.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JMT1985 - 08-04-2024

Well the finale is next week - two hours to fill, hope there isn't much padding in that two hour block.

I am looking forward to saying farewell to the show (possibly for good)

The show has seem to be the victim of some problems over recent years

2018, with Ant's problems caused the show to feel different for the final two editions

The one year hiatus in 2019 to give Ant a break for obvious reasons

2020 series which of course near the end of it's run was affected by Covid, especially with the 14th March 2020 edition getting criticised by many for allowing a huge studio audience when things were getting worse with the virus spreading fast through the country, and then the following week no live audience and the final two shows anchored by Ant and Dec from their homes.

2021 series changed a lot, due to lack of a live studio audience but at least they did try to get shows on air, and did really good work in the middle of a crisis

I think this "rest" is much needed, but in a few years time, I wonder if there will be an appetite for the show to return?

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Andrew - 08-04-2024

I doubt there will be any padding, as this show doesn’t tend to have any, they’ll obviously feature more items than there would normally be in a 90 minute show

The only bit that you could consider padding is the competition, but that is seen as a valid part of the show

Will there be appetite for the show to return? Almost certainly, particularly if another similar live show doesn’t appear anywhere. People generally call for popular shows to come back all the time from the minute they are no longer shown

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Keith - 08-04-2024

(08-04-2024, 01:47 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Will there be appetite for the show to return? Almost certainly, particularly if another similar live show doesn’t appear anywhere. People generally call for popular shows to come back all the time from the minute they are no longer shown
I wonder if they might be tempted to host a "Sunday night live at the palladium" type show, where they're hosting several guests acts.

I think it's reasonable to suggest Ant & Dec have learnt from the mistakes of Noel's House Party. Firstly, resting the series (temporarily/permanently) when it's still a relative high, rather than letting it significantly deteriorate. Secondly, being seen to be the ones ending it, rather than the channel 'axing' the show, even if it's not quite as simple behind the scenes. Thirdly, not throwing a massive tantrum and refusing to host the show for a week until problems are resolved.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JMT1985 - 08-04-2024

(08-04-2024, 02:03 PM)Keith Wrote:  I wonder if they might be tempted to host a "Sunday night live at the palladium" type show, where they're hosting several guests acts.

I think it's reasonable to suggest Ant & Dec have learnt from the mistakes of Noel's House Party. Firstly, resting the series (temporarily/permanently) when it's still a relative high, rather than letting it significantly deteriorate. Secondly, being seen to be the ones ending it, rather than the channel 'axing' the show, even if it's not quite as simple behind the scenes. Thirdly, not throwing a massive tantrum and refusing to host the show for a week until problems are resolved.

I remember that tantrum from Noel Edmonds in early January 1998 when he walked away from his own show, claiming the BBC drained his budget away to fund their new digital channels, however it was obvious his content was utter crap.

Noel did say in a 2006 interview with Michael Parkinson, that he felt he should have ended House Party in 1995, and admitted it went on too long and the public got bored with it, especially since they were pumping out 22 shows a series.

Ant and Dec thankfully have limited SNT to just 7 shows per series.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Brekkie - 09-04-2024

We got 100 or so decentish episodes of House Party over 4-5 years - if they'd done 7 a year they probably wouldn't have got close to 100 in total and it would have still tailed off. It might even be largely forgotten had it done so few episodes.

I think splitting the difference works out the best - probably 10-13 episodes a year.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - Jon - 09-04-2024

(09-04-2024, 11:03 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  We got 100 or so decentish episodes of House Party over 4-5 years - if they'd done 7 a year they probably wouldn't have got close to 100 in total and it would have still tailed off. It might even be largely forgotten had it done so few episodes.

I think splitting the difference works out the best - probably 10-13 episodes a year.
Yes, if SNT had not had it’s revival it would probably be largely forgotten by the general public. I’m not sure it’ll be looked back at in the same way as NHP, either positively and negatively.

RE: Saturday Night Takeaway - JMT1985 - 09-04-2024

The difference between House Party and SNT is that House Party existed in an era where people actually bothered to watch television as it was being transmitted, as the only other option was video taping it - SNT now lives in an era where people can watch clips on YouTube or catch up on ITVX and whizz through the boring bits they don't want to watch.

This means people now don't have to sit through each episode, which with House Party ensured the public had a long memory and perception of the show - SNT doesn't have that, in fact if I were to ask people now can you remember a stand out moment on SNT in the last say six years, can anyone remember one, without Google to search for it?

For me, I was 6 years old when House Party started in 1991 and I have memories which I can still relive of that show - Noel forced to sing "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" live on air and then a whole load of Gotcha celebrities coming in with bunches of flowers, I remember that without even having to Google sketches to remember them

Again - I reiterate, this is my own point of view, so please don't bash me over the head, if you think differently