Pres Café
Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 (/showthread.php?tid=365)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Rolling News - 26-02-2023

And 29th September 2010 Big Grin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Ac5-as0H4 

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Spencer - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 03:56 PM)DrewF Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 01:38 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Julia also did a few BBC One weekend bulletins. I don't know about the others - I think maybe Zeinab might have done one or two? She was always much more of a World face anyway. And yes, Carole was a very regular presenter on the News Channel for some years.

That's right - Julia Somerville also did a few weekend Breakfast editions from N6, and Fiona Armstrong presented one Sunday edition with Roger Johnson from Salford.

Julie Somerville stopped presenting before the move to NBH, but Fiona Armstrong did present on the News Channel (and a couple of weekend lunchtime BBC One bulletins) from Studio E.

A couple more images for you, including another old News Channel face:

[Image: Julia%20Somerville%202%203.jpg]
[Image: Fiona%20Armstrong%204.jpg]
[Image: Adam%20Jane.jpg]
I always find it strange to think that Fiona Armstrong is now the King’s personal representative in Dumfries and Galloway.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Newsroom - 27-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 05:04 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 03:56 PM)DrewF Wrote:  That's right - Julia Somerville also did a few weekend Breakfast editions from N6, and Fiona Armstrong presented one Sunday edition with Roger Johnson from Salford.

Julie Somerville stopped presenting before the move to NBH, but Fiona Armstrong did present on the News Channel (and a couple of weekend lunchtime BBC One bulletins) from Studio E.

A couple more images for you, including another old News Channel face:

[Image: Julia%20Somerville%202%203.jpg]
[Image: Fiona%20Armstrong%204.jpg]
[Image: Adam%20Jane.jpg]
I always find it strange to think that Fiona Armstrong is now the King’s personal representative in Dumfries and Galloway.
Oh, don't you mean Lady MacGregor? :-)

Yes, it's not unusual these days to discover what people who we once saw, knew, grew up with have become.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Newsroom - 27-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 04:00 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Zeinab Badawi presented a late morning shift on the News Channel on July 5, 2010, according to my caps. Big Grin

[Image: 05-07-2010.jpg]

[Image: 05-07-2010-1.jpg]
Ginny! How on earth did you find that! I've often hunted for snaps, videos of Zeinab doing an extremely rare NC shift.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - matthieu1221 - 27-02-2023

When was double anchoring dropped on the NC? Are there any clips of the last dual-anchored program? Not very easy to search for 'BBC News Channel' on YouTube as it brings up all the latest news reports!

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - DTV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 09:04 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  When was double anchoring dropped on the NC? Are there any clips of the last dual-anchored program? Not very easy to search for 'BBC News Channel' on YouTube as it brings up all the latest news reports!
Until 2010, weekdays through to 23:00 and the evening weekend shift (19:00-00:00) were double-headed. This evening weekend shift was the first to be cut back, becoming single-headed in December 2010. Weekday double-headed presentation continued until 2013, though the two-presenter evening shift did not make the move to NBH (partially because a second presenter was no longer required to run across to N8 at 21:30).

The midday shift (11:00-14:00) switched in June 2014 and the morning shift (08:30-11:00) was left with one presenter when Simon McCoy moved to afternoons in March 2013, though the slot was largely replaced by Victoria Derbyshire the following month. The afternoon shift (14:00-17:00) was able to holdout a while under Jane Hill and Simon McCoy, but was reduced to one presenter in July 2017 (at the same time the News at One presenter started presenting the full hour).

BBC World News has never really done double-headed presentation with two news presenters in the same studio (they have obviously done two presenters in different cities or the old morning news-business partnership), but there was a short-lived double-headed news hour at 10:00 from July 2008 to Feb 2010.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Rolling News - 27-02-2023

Definitely the strongest line up for me on the channel was when I first started watching around 2006. So many good double headed partnerships and even the single headed slots were fronted by anchors who felt like they were talking to the viewer (!).

Mornings: Simon McCoy & Kate Silverton (then Carrie Gracie)
Lunchtime: Jane Hill & Matthew Amroliwala
Afternoons: Jon Sopel & Louise Minchin/Emily Maitlis
Five Hour: Huw Edwards or Gavin Esler
Evenings: Ben Brown & Joanna Gosling
Late Nights: Chris Eakin
Weekends: Maxine Mawhinney, Tim Wilcox, Nicholas Owen, Chris Lowe, Annita McVeigh, Peter Sissons
Overnight: Alastair Yates, Deborah Mackenzie, Martine Croxall, Karin Giannone

Couldn’t beat it.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - DTV - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 09:26 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Definitely the strongest line up for me on the channel was when I first started watching around 2006. So many good double headed partnerships and even the single headed slots were fronted by anchors who felt like they were talking to the viewer (!).
World's line-up was also pretty strong in that 2006-10 sort of era - arguably a high-point for BBC News presenter wise. Though, correct me if I'm wrong, was Maitlis not on the evening slot with Ben Brown immediately after the 2006 presenter (and shift) reshuffle?

Regardless, the real strength of that line-up is that there was only limited/piecemeal change until the move to NBH. Before or after that period, presenter reshuffles were fairly regular and quite major.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Kojak - 27-02-2023

(27-02-2023, 09:12 PM)DTV Wrote:  BBC World News has never really done double-headed presentation with two news presenters in the same studio (they have obviously done two presenters in different cities or the old morning news-business partnership), but there was a short-lived double-headed news hour at 10:00 from July 2008 to Feb 2010.

https://youtu.be/JdRISaJNfTM?t=176 

(27-02-2023, 09:26 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Definitely the strongest line up for me on the channel was when I first started watching around 2006. So many good double headed partnerships and even the single headed slots were fronted by anchors who felt like they were talking to the viewer (!).

Weekends: Maxine Mawhinney, Tim Wilcox, Nicholas Owen, Chris Lowe, Annita McVeigh, Peter Sissons

Couldn’t beat it.
It was a good era, I agree. Helped in no small part, I think, by Sky News' constant chopping and changing their schedule during that period, not to mention the Sky-Virgin dispute - making News 24 look much more stable in comparison. 

Not sure Peter Sissons ever quite suited rolling news, though, bless him. He should have stayed on the 10 for much longer than he did. Or moved to World, which was still largely fixed bulletins back then.

RE: Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023 - Robinho02 - 27-02-2023

Couldn’t beat it.

Agreed, a top quality line-up. 

Chris Lowe did weekend evenings for quite a while (for pretty much all of the noughties?) and was an old school presenter who took to rolling news rather better than some others. He had a nice friendly informality. Here was his final evening in 2009 with Annita McVeigh: https://youtu.be/wsLhqXvYscU 

And here with Joanna Gosling in 2003 (I loved this countdown with scenes from around the UK): https://youtu.be/czZ_sQCdt4o